RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coldclimb

Jun 22, 2004, 7:18 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Attribution of routes submitted
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the situation: One person, in this case sirclimbsalot, adds a route to the database. I come along the next day, and try to help out by adding some stuff to the description of the route to make it easier to find. I save my changes and all should be happy, right?

But now, when you go to sirclimbsalot's profile and look, it doesn't list the route in his submissions. If you go to my own profile, the little edits that I've made have switched the route over to me.

My question is this: Is there a way to have the route show up in both of our profiles? I hate to have to steal a route from someone every time I edit a little detail into the description. And what about the site rating... does he still get credit for having submitted the route, or do I get the sole points for that now?

Just a question that has bothered me for a while, and it came up again this morning, so I figured I'd post it. :) Thanks!

jcinco

Jun 22, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Re: Attribution of routes submitted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I added a ton of routes for Devil's Tower, and provided a very detailed area description about a year ago. My route entries are typically fairly detailed. Someone came along and wanted to fix-up the Devil's Tower page by putting the routes in order, clockwise around the tower. Fine.

He put the routes in order, but he also made very small, negligible, changes to the routes. So he gets credit for entering the routes. Whatever... but, I put a lot of work into entering those (quite good) descriptions. I don't care about points or whatever, but its nice to be recognized for entering good descriptions.

I suggest that when the routes DB is overhauled, the description for the person who first enters the route should be kept as the description. From that point, people should be able to add comments on the route without having to edit the route description. This would complicate the DB and some descriptions will be better than others depending on who enters the route first (but that's how it is anyway).

It works on climbingboulder, climbingmoab, climbingjtree, etc... so there is no reason why it can't work here.

dirtineye

Jun 22, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about attributing the routes to the people who FAed them while we're at it? And how about attributing something to the guide book authors who wrote the book that allowed you to find the route?

jcinco

Jun 22, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How about attributing the routes to the people who FAed them while we're at it?

Great! A field where the FAist can be listed is a great idea.

In reply to:
And how about attributing something to the guide book authors who wrote the book that allowed you to find the route?

If I'm not mistaken there is already a field where you can list guidebooks to the area, so there is no issue in crediting guidebook authors. In any case, the guidebook information is out there... additional information on a route from a different source can be useful.

All I'm saying is that useful information is lost when people's names get erased from the "updated by" field. Some people have better descriptions than others, and I'd like to see who wrote the description before I trust that beta.

Anything constructive you'd like to add? If not, go troll in a different thread.

Partner oldsalt

Jun 22, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And how about attributing something to the guide book authors who wrote the book that allowed you to find the route?

The whole thread is a question of giving credit where credit is due. I also added a detail to a route and got credit for it which I do not deserve. I would not have been on the route without the Dixie Cragger's Atlas.

Credit for the FA, the initial description, the guide book...

I don't want any credit for a "touch up."

andy_lemon

Jun 22, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coldclimb: Didn't I just send you a list of about 15 things that I wanted added to the routes database? One of them was adding an FA box for route entries and the other was adding an overwrite box to sections and routes. What's the deal yo?

Andy

Partner coldclimb

Jun 22, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Coldclimb: Didn't I just send you a list of about 15 things that I wanted added to the routes database? One of them was adding an FA box for route entries and the other was adding an overwrite box to sections and routes. What's the deal yo?

Andy

Yeah, you did bring this up. I forwarded those suggestions, so I'm fairly certain that these will all wind up being features of RDBv2.0, so this thread is probably worthless, and these things are probably already being done. ;) Just kinda bugged me enough to post it here today. And heck, we might as well get some more input from more folks here than just me and you. :)

andy_lemon

Jun 22, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a whole thread somewhere in the general forum where rrrAdam asked people for suggestions to the RDB... A whole thread... all of which about 2 of the suggestions where put to use. That thread is full of suggestions that keep getting made here, around the forum, and in the list I sent you.

roughster

Jun 22, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The easy thing to do would be to have it just like when you update the Area, have a check box that gives you the option to "Update" or not.

If you made significant changes, then I would say it was your right, but if you just correct a typo or reworded the description but really added nothing of content, than you should not "Update" it (assuming the "Update" option got implimented).

Another thing, reordering routes does not assign them to you.

andy_lemon

Jun 22, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The easy thing to do would be to have it just like when you update the Area, have a check box that gives you the option to "Update" or not.

Right. That's what the overwrite box would do if it were added to sections and routes.

I was wrong, trevor started the thread not rrrAdam. I guess that's why I had such a hard time finding it but I think this is it:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25195&start=0

Partner coldclimb

Jun 22, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Andy, I didn't remember seeing that thread. Nice memory you've got there, getting threads from so long back. :)

Any admins want to comment and maybe let us know how things are going?

andy_lemon

Jun 23, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well dude, I guess that was one of the reasons I was appointed Senior RDBM... that and I keep suggesting old suggestions. :wink:

andy_lemon

Jun 23, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh and one more thing from what roughster said... reordering routes & sections should go past 255. That just sucks. At a large section in the RDB I usually try to order routes 0,5,10,15,20... at least I'll go 0,3,6,9... what that does is leave room for people to make additions and new route development. When you limit the max number to 255 it makes it extremely annoying to go through and do this.

overlord

Jun 23, 2004, 7:35 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i gont arroud that really bothersome problem by splitting a section into two or more pieces.

and i agree 255 is kinda small.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook