Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
worth the trip to RedRiver Gorge this time of year?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

f2

Jun 28, 2004, 1:50 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

worth the trip to RedRiver Gorge this time of year?  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never been to RedRiver Gorge but I'm wanting to make a trip out there, but its 17 hour trip and i live in new england so i have good climbing around but i'd like to check out the area, i was wondering if during this time of year if its too humid, too hot, too rainy. Should I wait til fall? any help from locals would be apprecciated.

mowz

Jun 28, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Re: worth the trip to RedRiver Gorge this time of year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Around now, many places in the mid-south is warm and humid. Chances are, it could rain. I would check weather.com religiously and keep in mind that the website is pessimistic. If there is a 25% chance of rain, the site will say it will rain. Bring Deet with you so the bugs don't eat you alive. Other than that, have a good time. Do you happen to be near New Hampshire? I want to take a trip out there this summer and was looking for a partner or two. Can you hook a peep up?

dawnyb

Jun 28, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i was wondering if during this time of year if its too humid, too hot, too rainy. Should I wait til fall? any help from locals would be apprecciated.

I would wait if I were you. I'm sure there are many other good places you can climb now, and then just schedule a trip out there in late Sept or early Oct. I have been there a few times in the fall, and the later I went the better it was. I went around Labor Day once, and I thought I was going to die it was so hot (this coming from someone who was living in AZ). The issue is really more humidity, so I think it depends on what kind of climates you're used to climbing in. But for 17 h and the way that gas is priced these days, I'd wait until it's well into the fall.

lordjim

Jun 28, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can wait till the fall, wait till the fall. You'll most likely have better weather and cheaper gas. If you can't wait, chase the shade and bring the bug spray.

taraus_de_bull

Jun 28, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just there a three weeks ago, and it was great time. the guy who said it depends on what weather you used to climbing in is dead right. I'm used to climbing in 80 or 90 degree weather and sweating my ass off. it doesn't affect me, so i don't mind it. Living in PA, we get very cold weather in the winter and very hot in the summer, so i'm not to sensitive to temps. thats really the key to climbing at the RED in the heat. Most of the Red is STEEP pockets/jugs. You won't find many slopers, so the heat won't affect friction so much. Go back in the fall to get on the good sloper stuff, the few that there is. The Red is all about long steep endurance climbing. The red is good nearly year round, so if you can wait, it will be there. The question really is what conditions can you climb in. after being to rumney, the bugs will be a ton less then the bugs your used too up north.

Partner missedyno

Jun 28, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

linked to RRG - moving to regional discussions.

oh and it's pretty hot down there this time of year, but amazing climbing still. go if you're in the area, but i'd hold off until autumn if i were you...

Partner missedyno

Jun 28, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

f2

Jun 29, 2004, 8:11 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks for the help gonna see what my partner wants to do but probably will be autumn. thanks again.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook