Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tal

Jul 7, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #1 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

so what makes you a crag betty?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was just wondering what it takes to become a crag betty? a actual climber chick. :)
do you have to send a certain difuculty of problem, or is it just a state of mind lol :) i have no idea,... and thats why i'm posting it. no duh eh? :oops:

angelaa

Jul 8, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Re: so what makes you a crag betty? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is just a mind set and a TRUE passion for climbing! :lol:

mountainchick82

Jul 9, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #3 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on angelaa...a state of mind and a love for climbing. :wink:

its spending your weekends climbing instead of shopping or whatnot..its have a passion and a desire to just get out and climb. Just being on the rock.

moabdirtgirl

Jul 9, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grab your girlfriends and the closest mangy dog, jump into your beat up VW van and hit the road, destination, Moab. Once in town, drop by Mondo Café in McStiff’s Plaza and order a Quad decafe non-fat iced dry cappuccino. While sipping your $5.00 up of coffee, strike a pose. With the climbing shop being just a few doors down, the influx of climber boys in the café is so great that in no time you’ll catch an eye and be engaged in a stimulating conversation where you can use many wonderful catch phrases like “pulls down” or the ever popular “did you SEND it?” And before you know it, you too can be cragging at Wall Street or the Parlor with all the other Crag Betty’s.

Ok, sorry for that…

I haven't been climbing long, (less than a year) but if all I have to look forward to by being psyched on climbing is being known as a "Crag Betty" then I'll gladly pass on my climbing shoes to the next "chick" waiting in line. Please ladies set your sites higher, at least be a Crag Goddess.

angelaa

Jul 9, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gee, I guess I never thought of being a Crag Betty as a derogatory statement. :twisted:
Sorry if we insinuated that it was the be all - end all of climbing. . . . :? I just think that girls encouraging other girls to climb is one of the coolest things to do! no need to take offence :wink:

moabdirtgirl

Jul 9, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #6 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know my response was a little harsh and I do take the name "Crag Betty" as derogatory term. The point I’d like to make is, women should be encouraged to do what ever they want and should be afforded the same respect as men. If being called a “Crag Betty” sounds respectful to you then ROCK IT sister. What ever it takes to get more Ladies on the rock! Who am I to judge.

angelaa

Jul 9, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #7 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a strong woman . . . and all women who rock are strong in my eyes, there is really no such thing as a derogatory statement.

It is all in how you take it!
:wink:

Every woman on this board ROCKS because she is here . . . . trying to make herself better and stronger. . . and if someone thinks that a Climbing Betty is a compliment (probably from the VERY CUTE - Trad Betty shirt idea that has been floating around on this very board) then it damn well is!

Partner missedyno

Jul 10, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #8 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not sure what i think about the term crag betty... i guess it's the same as "climber chick"...

and sure beats being a "gym rat"

damn humans and their crazy labels! :D

Partner holdplease2

Jul 10, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #9 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What moabdirtgirl said. In her first post.

-Kate.

crazygirl

Jul 11, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #10 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you exclaim I just lead my first 5.10 (sport 10a), I'm such a badass!

areyoumydude

Jul 11, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #11 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moabdirtgirl is right on. I guess most of you girls don't know what a betty is. A betty is a female that likes to hang out with rad dudes that do rad things like skateboarding, surfing, climbing, or slacklining. Well I'm still working on the slackline betty thing. If you want to be a betty there is nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be a climber drop the betty and get yourself some climbing billies. :wink:

Peace,

Larry

tal

Jul 11, 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #12 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't really see crag betty as a bad term, well i didn't mean it as one, i sortof ment what made you feel like you were an actual climber. a girl one cause hey this is the ladies room.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 11, 2004, 4:01 PM
Post #13 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I first felt like an actual climber the moment the words "I'd like to rock climb someday....." were translated into action; i.e., the moment I had both hands/both feet on holds, body presented mind with the question "Now what?" and I made a decision as to my next move.

That was on an inside climbing wall, and I ached to get outdoors on real rock.

When I walked up to that first rock wall, I looked at where my first holds would be. The moment my fingertips made contact with the coolness of the stone, I felt the energy of life; for me, it was the same intense emotion which I believe Michelangelo was conveying in his work entitled "Creation of Adam." I was instantly more alive than I had been only moments earlier. And, I felt like I was being initiated into a world filled with wonder, awe and respect for natural beauty.

Each time I take a step ahead with my climbing, I feel more alive. I know myself a bit more deeply. I have the suspicion there is so much more lying ahead that this process of evolution will continue for more than is my lifetime.

The interesting thing about climbing for me......through it, I have come to feel more comfortable in my body as a woman. I was always a bit of a "tomboy," and at times, there was pain in seeing "girly-girls being feigned over by "the boys." Try as I might have to act like "them," it was never genuine, and it felt like bad acting. In climbing, there is no real opportunity to provide an illusion. Exposure is immediate, if only sometimes to myself, when I am really paying attention.

Climbing is empowering in that every decision is mine to make, no matter how minute. I make the choices; I take responsibility for the results. Balance and movement are grace in motion. To me, climbing gives me the ability to glimpse the idea that we are mortal goddesses and gods of the earth.

twistedropesliz

Jul 11, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #14 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into rock climbing becasue I've 1) always thoguht "Wow, that would be so fun.. I want to be really good at that someday..." 2) I love sports and activities that can be potentially dangerous. You find my at a mall maybe 4 times in a year. No joke. I don't like staying inside all day and shopping at all and 3) ever since I was 3, I've been climbing walls, and cars, and the little cars that looked like flinstone's cars and riding on top of them- I have a knack for adventure- and I"m not afraid of a bruise, a broken nail, or not being able to wear high heels becasue i twisted my ankel.

I have a picture of 3 year old Lizza on top of that flinstones car- i just can't upload it...shame.

dalguard

Jul 16, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #15 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think crag betty is meant to be flattering. I thought it referred to women who were dependent on men to climb and could only climb in nice safe, sterile conditions. It's not a term I've ever thought of applying to myself or have aspired to, that's for sure.

angelaa

Jul 16, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #16 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, if you look at other postings on this board, there was the thought of a TRAD BETTY T-shirt in the works, and I don't think any of the ladies behind that idea meant anything derogatory by it.

I guess it is all relative.

iamthewallress

Jul 20, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #17 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well, if you look at other postings on this board, there was the thought of a TRAD BETTY T-shirt in the works, and I don't think any of the ladies behind that idea meant anything derogatory by it.

I guess it is all relative.

I tend to agree with dalguard, but on the other hand, I guess it's harmless when used tongue-in-cheek between chicks, like me just typing chick right now. It's different than if the V.P. of my division at the company where I work calls me a chick at a meeting to determine whether or not I get a promotion or something.

In any case, I thought the first post was strange because I can't imagine aspiring to be known to all as a 'Crag Betty'. It made me think of the gals in the VH1 Behind the Music for Poison who, as a point of personal pride, would line up to get #$@ed and sent on their merry way after the concert. But then I figured that "Crag Betty" probaby meant something different to the original poster than it did to me.

areyoumydude

Jul 20, 2004, 1:14 AM
Post #18 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
as a strong woman . . . and all women who rock are strong in my eyes, there is really no such thing as a derogatory statement.

It is all in how you take it!
:wink:

I'm sure I could change your mind. :shock:

kimmyt

Jul 20, 2004, 1:48 AM
Post #19 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the gauntlet has been thrown...

Partner missedyno

Jul 20, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #20 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah right.

*hovers over delete key for any derogatory comment challenge*

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 20, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #21 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're waiting.......

unabonger

Jul 20, 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #22 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's different than if the V.P. of my division at the company where I work calls me a chick at a meeting to determine whether or not I get a promotion or something.

Of couse all interpersonal communication has a context. In my circle, "betty", is a term of respect, not condescension. "Go betty". Strength and feminity is implied. Probably used only with friends. "Whoa--check out that betty". Hotness is implied.

I've heard that could be used otherwise, but in that case let's not miss the point that the user is the problem, and the word itself is a misused tool.

UB

angelaa

Jul 20, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #23 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[indigo]like I said . . . all relative!
To each his (or her) own.

I guess if you have a problem with the term "Betty" - don't get the TRAD BETTY T-SHIRT.[/indigo]

http://file:/...res/trad%20betty.gif

mwbtle

Jul 20, 2004, 3:23 PM
Post #24 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with angelaa, its all in how you take it.
context can change it as well, but whatever. If someone is meaning it derogatorily, do you really think you should care what they think?
obviously they aren't worth your time.

plus, I think the correct term for one of those pseudo climbing chicks is "belay bunny" ;)

angelaa

Jul 20, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #25 of 33 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BRAVO! :wink: :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook