RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

arun

Jul 28, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Introducing girlfriend to rockclimbing (
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure if this is in the right forum, (so pls move if necessary).

Basically my new gf up to now has not done any rockclimbing. I love rockclimbing and basically would love it, if she would also enjoy it, (roadtripping is so much cooler with a partner).

My gf has now been climbing 3 times and she likes it, but I don't think she is biten yet by the climbing bug! :cry: So I was wondering, from female climbers, what was it that made you love rockclimbing? And as I don't want to hassle/force or put pressure on my gf to come climbing, how to motivate her without any negative stuff going on,

I have taken her outside last week and she really enjoyed it. (We had a BBQ at the crag as well afterwards and with some other climbing friends of mine (females included). So I think that definitely helped.

We then went last time to a climbing gym and she really didn't like that. So I have asked a couple of my female climbing buddies (who are also beginners) to come along next outdoor climbing session and will arrange for another BBQ. Hopefully that way my gf will enjoy it more and perhaps come to enjoy rockclimbing more?

So any further suggestions from a female perspective would be great

many thanks in advance

jumpingrock

Jul 28, 2004, 1:46 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Re: Introducing girlfriend to rockclimbing ( [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My only suggestion is don't take her indoors. Indoor climbing is good if there are no other options, but most new climbers find that it is too much like a workout to be truly fun. My gf actually told me to take her outdoors for her first climbing experiance and given that I don't particularly care for indoor climbing I think that was for the best. After she has been bitten then maybe bring her indoors to work on technique and strength building.

Final word, be patient, climbing doesn't bite everybody at the same time. She has only been out climbing three times. As long as you make it fun for her (ie she is not your belay beotch) she will come around.

At least that's what I'm hoping :).

David

crazygirl

Jul 28, 2004, 1:52 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my boyfriend kept inviting me to rockclimbing/barbeques, and i started to love climbing because of the social aspect of it.

just kidding.

you gotta love it for yourself.

arun

Jul 28, 2004, 1:57 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi jumpingrock

yeah I think thats critical not to put any pressure on ones partner when introducing them to climbing. I am actually pretty happy she is at all interested. If she doesn't like it as much as I do, thats fine as well. Not everybody (luckily otherwise the crags would be even more crowded) likes rockclimbing.

Ah well heres hoping she will like it.

cheers

Arun

Partner missedyno

Jul 28, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry dude, here's one chick that just loves climbing. nothing fancy to it.

loved it the first time i tried it... and as far as i know, no one did anything to encourage my interest in it or whatever...

kimmyt

Jul 28, 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think alot of the women on this site will agree with the above.

k.

arun

Jul 28, 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah funny thing with "hard core climbing girls" is that they are usually only interested blokes who climb a lot harder! So for a mediocre climber like myself (5.10 equiv) its hard getting females interested in my flapping about on easy problems :oops:

But then I do prefer Ice climbing and I haven't meet too many girls who would even consider coming ice climbing! :roll:

Ah well, I will first introduce my gf to sports routes, then perhaps some trad (which is way cooler anyway) and then think about dragging her along to some nice water ice :D now that is way cool! :twisted:

granite_grrl

Jul 28, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people just never get that interested in climbing (though I'm sure that most people on this fourm would never understand that :P). I'd say just enjoy that she's interested in at least trying it out. In the case of an ex-boyfriend of mine I was never even able to get him outside once, he never even tried to understand this aspect of my life (just one of the many reasons he's an ex).

Maybe she'll never love it like you do, but she's still pretty cool for trying it out a few times.

rvega

Jul 28, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, it took me quite a long time (months-years??) to truly enjoy climbing. The fear involved was so intense that I didn't actually have fun while I was climbing. Most of the time I'd bolt up the climb get to the top and scream "let me down now...but slowly!" It was definately the social and outdoor aspects of rock climbing that kept me at it.

I do strongly suggest that you teach her about the safety issues. My biggest fears stemmed from not understanding why it was okay to "dangle from this string" 100 feet off the ground. Once I could comprehend how strong and safe the gear could be I was more at ease on the rocks.

overlord

Jul 29, 2004, 9:09 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep taking her to climb outdoors and shell love it. if she doesnt, dont worry. youll jsut have to climb without her.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 30, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same boat as crazylikeafawkes and kimmyt - I knew I was bit practically before I started....

Since she DOES enjoy the outdoors, and seems to enjoy the camaraderie aspect you are off to a good start, but you can't do anything, per se, to "make" her like climbing, or like it more quickly....

I think that is very thoughtful to have other beginners along, though.

arun

Jul 30, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers guys for the tips/suggestions

I took her with me last night and a whole bunch of climbing friends outdoor last night. She climbed a (french sport grade 5a, 5b and a 5b+) and enjoyed herself. She also liked the wine and BBQ-ing afterwards!
So all good :D :D :D :D :D

Now we just gotta her to get into leading. :twisted: oh and ice climbing once winter comes along :lol: :lol:

cheers Arun

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook