RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

duke126

Aug 25, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Fitting Soft Shells?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking at a new jacket...how do you fit a stretchy soft shell jacket with Schoeller(i.e. Mammut New Age Jacket)? Like a regular jacket? A little tight? Tight(like a winter cycling jacket)? I never bought a soft shell before...a little confused...

hemp22

Aug 26, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fitting Soft Shells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got mine relatively tight compared to other jackets I wear, but still with enough room to wear a couple layers underneath without feeling "stuffy".

If getting a good fit is important and you haven't already done so, you might check out www.beyondfleece.com to get a custom-fit Schoeller. They tell you how to take all your measurements, and then they custom-tailor the jacket to fit you. Plus you can choose what options you want, like hood or thumb loops, and make other comments about how you'd like it to fit (i.e. a little long in the torso, or high at the neck).

stickels

Aug 26, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends on the soft shell. Generally, you would size it just like a hard shell seeing as that is what it is replacing. Also, some companies size them a wee bit smaller than a hard shell of compairable size in their line. Plus, some companies have a different fit for certain types of jackets. For example go check out the marmot site (marmot.com) and look they little green/yellow/orange box at the bottom of the product description, it has what type of fit it is and shows a wire frame-cartoon lookin' thing to give you something to look at.
So...........if you wear a medium in say Marmot stuff, you'll more than likley wear a medium in everthing else but an XXsmall in North Face, Cloudveil, and some 'Fratagonia. When in doubt measure or at the very least get the measurements for what you are wearing now and compair it to the measurments of what you are wanting. They do "stretch" a bit but it is largely a mechanical stretch. Meaning it is designed to give comfort/mobility not aid in fitting. (i.e you can't fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag) :lol:

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 26, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say "snug"

good thing about softshells is they do stretch....

Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Hoody......the BEST softshell....

oregonalpine

Aug 26, 2004, 1:33 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mines "form-fitting" i'd say... enough room for an undershirt or two, not much else... just get it how you like it, there's really no "rule" as to how to fit them...

walllizzard

Aug 26, 2004, 9:27 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah you want ur soft shell to fit snug, dont want to much fabric in your way. i would recommend EMS's new Softshell they have for this yr. Made from schoellers "soft-shell". I nice technical jacket, well worth looking at. I have last yrs Apollo jacket made with WB-400 and love it. Probly the best thing you can do is go out and try a bunch on and see what fits ya. I would recommend shoeller fabrics they are the best and been making softshells the longest. well happy shopping

traddad

Aug 26, 2004, 1:08 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snug, with enough room for an ArcTeryx Delta jersey (form fitting light weight 100 weight fleece) underneath. Remember, soft shells are transition clothing....kind of "Jacks of all trades" that don't do anything really well except that...they do everything OK. They're not water proof, they're not howling wind proof, they're not really warm and they don't breathe like fleece. But....they do a little bit of all of the above, which makes them EXACTLY the right jacket a lot of the time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook