Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Am I wasting my time by working on a FAQ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ralphwolf

Aug 28, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #26 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Re: Am I wasting my time by working on a FAQ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wasting time! No.
Lots of really good, entertaining and current info on this site. Might take an eternal effort but I'd be worthwhile.

"Frequently Asked" is kinda relative. For instance, as far as Haul Bag questions go there may not be as many posts as on Climbing Shoes but they desrve mention. FAQ stuff shouldn't necessarily be the same as Basic.

There's so much crossover from sport to aid to trad to... maye divide into 3 sections like:
Etiquette and info (guidebooks and various beta and training)
Skills (from knots to big wall stuff)
Hardware

Mark

thomasribiere

Aug 29, 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #27 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think FAQ is a good thing. First you look at them, and if you don't find your answer ot want to discuss further on a matter, just post.

I see you FAQ is in process.
Maybe you should just tell it clearly at the beginning. Many blank posts, many blank links, it's just strange.

Work (hard) on the FAQ, don't get discourage, and maybe other ppl wil see the interest, and will help you out.

Good luck, and don't conside the negative points too much, as ppl will usually tell they are not happy, but won't say they are satisfied, even if they are.

overlord

Aug 29, 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #28 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMHO youre doing a great job. keep it up.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 29, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #29 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think what you are doing is a great resource of info, and I applaud you for it.

Unfortunately, most of the users tend to ask the question rather than look for the answer, even if it is made sticky at the top of a forum.

Partner cracklover

Aug 29, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #30 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slightly off topic: It seemed to me that Jay and others wanted to have a small group of folks with much more experience than I (the jgills, rgolds, jlongs, etc) contribute to the beginners forum. I've only been climbing five or six years, and I'm certainly no widely respected authority on anything.

Now to your question. If, according to rc.com, I'm not qualified to answer beginner's questions, I don't see why I should be qualified to answer any "official" questions at all. Plus, I'm not very facile at writing, so it would take me a lot of time and energy. Why put this in when all the signals are saying that my input on such matters is not appreciated?

GO

alpnclmbr1

Aug 29, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #31 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cracklover,

As far as I am concerned, you are more than qualified to post responses in the beginners forum. I seriously doubt that any of the mods would disagree with that. (would they?)

The criteria for posting responses to the beginners forum, should be having the ability to post a reasonably correct response, and maybe the ability to know when you do not know the answer. That's it.

In the same way that people like to learn, they also like to teach what they have already learned, partly because it helps them retain and clarify that information. This should be encouraged when possible.

fredrogers

Aug 29, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #32 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a well researched FAQ is a great idea. It can be ever evolving but keeping it organized and coherent would be key. Keep up the good work.

People will ask the same repetitive questions but that doesn't mean hundreds of others won't benefit from the FAQ.

Partner cracklover

Aug 30, 2004, 2:08 PM
Post #33 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cracklover,

As far as I am concerned, you are more than qualified to post responses in the beginners forum. I seriously doubt that any of the mods would disagree with that. (would they?)

The criteria for posting responses to the beginners forum, should be having the ability to post a reasonably correct response, and maybe the ability to know when you do not know the answer. That's it.

In the same way that people like to learn, they also like to teach what they have already learned, partly because it helps them retain and clarify that information. This should be encouraged when possible.

I think the long-term goal of the beginners forum as per defined by Curt, Jay, and Tim is to have a set core group of experts.

But here's a way to bring this back on topic. Here's an idea: Have a sort of audition for beginner's guru. Anyone who feels they're qualified to answer beginners' questions must submit an answer for the FAQ. That would get lots of good text for your FAQ. And it would give whoever makes the call on "appropriate" beginners Gurus plenty of applicants to choose from - and some writing to help tell who's willing and able to keep a topic clear, concise, and interesting. Tim, what do you think? I think it's a win-win solution.

GO

Partner cliffhanger9

Aug 30, 2004, 2:16 PM
Post #34 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think a well researched FAQ is a great idea. It can be ever evolving but keeping it organized and coherent would be key. Keep up the good work.

People will ask the same repetitive questions but that doesn't mean hundreds of others won't benefit from the FAQ.

..and the thing with this is...even the ones that ask the same repetetive questions...you jsut direct the mto the FAQ or somewhere else that it has been answered and lock it.

I think an FAQ of sorts is neccessary. I m not sure i like the idea of it being in a forum (i like the FAQ infrastructure better) but we can work on that.. ;) ..and the collection that you have already is great

ROCK ON!! :mrgreen:

dingus

Aug 30, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #35 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's an idea: Have a sort of audition for beginner's guru. Anyone who feels they're qualified to answer beginners' questions must submit an answer for the FAQ.

Cracklover, I love you like a brother man, I do. But I am about to skewer your idea anyway, sorry Bro.

An audition. To be qualified to post an answer to a beginner question to an internet forum about climbing. Answers that have all been asked and answered before, ad infinitum.

No offense, but you folks have gone round the bend with this beginners thing.

An audition. For a forum. Will you issue merit badges and anger management certificates too?

You good people are taking this beginners thing, and yourselves, WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Chill out and you'll see, beginners aren't dying as a result of the reams of misinformation promulgated by rc.com. With a modest down side the up side will be of similar amplitude. The world's noobs are not going to be beating down your doors to submit ever new and interesting questions. So you're just working at making yourselves feel better about what is inherently 'internet blather.'

A great sound and fury for what will be a sandbox for 4 - 5 control-oriented people. And you've already seen a taste of their management styles, The Emperor's Decree. Very conducive for noobie posts, ayup.

Didn't use the right word? Try AGAIN!

Repetitive question? Search the freaking FAQ!

Modeator had a bad day? Your question is REJECTED!!!111

Becomes a Supreme Court and just getting your question heard will require a professional advocate wearing a white wig no doubt, to assist the clueless noob in formatting the question to suit the judges pecularities (beesty of course leaps to mind). Just figgering out 'who is moderating today' will be vitally important in getting one's questions before the panel.

Best to wait a day if jt512 is logged on.

Auditions... WAY TOO SERIOUSLY FOLKS!

DMT

ryan112ryan

Oct 26, 2004, 6:31 AM
Post #36 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do the rest of you think?

Seriously, I have gotten very little feedback on the design, goal, purpose, etc.
I thought more people would be interested in working on it, or in seeing alternate viewpoints from those that I agree with, showcased as well.

I am seriously considering just deleting what I have done so far.

I am not really interested in providing a quick fix, but rather a long term project with lofty goals.

If the site has other things in mind, then let me know and I will take it elsewhere.

i spent 3 hours yesturday reading them, and i have linked them in like 4 posts and shared with some friends......awsome job thanks!

Partner tim

Oct 26, 2004, 6:40 AM
Post #37 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Here's an idea: Have a sort of audition for beginner's guru. Anyone who feels they're qualified to answer beginners' questions must submit an answer for the FAQ.

An audition. For a forum. Will you issue merit badges and anger management certificates too?

only for good stuff like 'a little nick and some sulfuric acid, thanks'.
:-)

dirtineye

Jun 27, 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #38 of 38 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I see wahy the faq never materialized, hehe.

Still, maybe now is the time.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook