Sep 8, 2004, 4:18 PM
Post #26 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beautiful one day, smoke-free the next [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even though I think smokers are lower than a snake's belly in a wagon wheel rut

Why is that exactly? I hear this kind of rhetoric a lot, but nobody ever actually explains the thinking, if any, behind it. Oh, and please try to avoid trotting out the same tired old truisms you've seen on TV.

vertical_reality

Sep 8, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #27 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is it that Ephedra is blamed for the death of some athlete and is banned within months but cigarettes are blamed for thousands a year but are never banned?

vertical_reality

Sep 8, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #28 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
please try to avoid trotting out the same tired old truisms you've seen on TV.

That reminds me, has anyone seen that Truth.com ad that says there is uranium in cigarettes?

Come on now, that cannot be true.

bluto

Sep 8, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #29 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why is it that Ephedra is blamed for the death of some athlete and is banned within months but cigarettes are blamed for thousands a year but are never banned?

Follow the money trail, the state and federal governments take in far more taxes from cigarettes than they pay out in health care costs. Why ban a revenue source.

bumblie

Sep 8, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #30 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why is that exactly? I hear this kind of rhetoric a lot, but nobody ever actually explains the thinking, if any, behind it. Oh, and please try to avoid trotting out the same tired old truisms you've seen on TV.

Part of this may have to do with the fact that smoking is banned in many places, i.e. office buildings, restaurants, airports. Smokers are pariahs that gropu together in out of the way, but quite public areas.. Previously, you'd pass by individual smokers. Now, we tend to go through smoking areas, where there are a bunch of people chain-smoking 2 or 3 cigarettes. The latter is much more offensive.

Partner tradman

Sep 8, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #31 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Same reason fatty foods and alcohol haven't been banned, even though they kill more people than smoking does: they're a choice.

unabonger

Sep 8, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #32 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'll tell you why, no tired truisms. Or falsisms.

It's because they bespoil my yard when they walk by and throw their butts into it. It's because they take a great big drag right at the door of the grocery store just before they go in, then they exhale into my face as they flick their butt onto the sidewalk. It's because they throw thier lit butts out the window on highways. Its because they throw their lit butts out in the parking lot next to my car, and I have to walk through their smoke to get to my car. Its because they gather outside the doors of establishments that I'd like to patronize, and exhale smoke in my presence, and they throw those goddamned butts right on the ground. Im goddamned sick of it.

Please, take your butt and shove it up your ass.

UB

PS: Grammar nazis, sorry about the "its", I ran out of apostrophes and I have to go the store to pick some up.

bluto

Sep 8, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #33 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is an excerpt from an article that exposes some of the interesting realities of smoking and tobacco taxes.

In reply to:
Addicted to Tobacco Taxes

Written By: Robert A. Levy
Published In: Health Care News
Publication Date: November 1, 2002
Publisher: The Heartland Institute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona’s politicians can’t make up their minds about tobacco.

When Arizona sued the cigarette makers in 1996, the state minced no words in describing the pernicious effects of smoking: “Tobacco products are not only addictive, they are abnormally dangerous and unfit for human use. Tobacco products kill, maim, and injure virtually all who use them.”

Reading that, any rational person would have to conclude the state would criminalize cigarettes. Evidently, consistency and logic take a back seat when big bucks are at stake.

Instead, the “cash-cow” coalition signed a national settlement that protected the profits of the tobacco giants so they can be milked periodically to replenish depleted state coffers.

Now that same coalition is promoting Proposition 303, a statewide referendum on the November ballot to increase Arizona’s cigarette tax from 58 cents to $1.18 per pack—the nation’s fifth highest rate. The goal of 303 is to pay for a laundry list of programs, like expanded health insurance and funding for trauma centers. Those programs, desirable or not, are mostly unrelated to tobacco prevention.

If taxpayers want more health insurance and trauma centers, let all the taxpayers—not just smokers—foot the bill. Indeed, cigarette surcharges are brutally regressive. They represent a wealth transfer from generally poor smokers to more affluent non-smokers.

Roughly 60 percent of tobacco taxes are paid by smokers with annual incomes under $40,000. Furthermore, federal and state cigarette taxes already generate far more than smoking-related costs paid out of the public purse. The contrast between tax receipts and public costs is mind-boggling.

In 1995, Arizona’s excise taxes were 58 cents per pack. According to Harvard economist Kip Viscusi, the state spent 1.12 cents per pack on tobacco-related medical care, and lost 1.55 cents per pack in payroll taxes due to smokers’ early mortality.

Thus, the 58 cents per pack excise tax was more than 20 times the combined tobacco-related cost to the state of 2.67 cents. In short, smokers have more than paid their way.

Partner tradman

Sep 8, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #34 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In short, because they do things you don't like.

Welcome to the real world. Not very nice, is it?

vertical_reality

Sep 8, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #35 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
please try to avoid trotting out the same tired old truisms you've seen on TV.

That reminds me, has anyone seen that Truth.com ad that says there is uranium in cigarettes?

Come on now, that cannot be true.

Apparently it isn't... it's actually Polonium-210... funny thing is, it's found in alot of foods.

In reply to:
In the United States, where chemical fertilizer use is more prevalent, the Florida Institute of Phosphate Research reports that polonium in American dairy and meat products expose human organs to radiation levels equivalent to tobacco use.

unabonger

Sep 8, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #36 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In short, because they do things you don't like.

Welcome to the real world. Not very nice, is it?

Well, I don't like them, but there are plenty of things I don't like that I wouldn't outlaw. Like you, for instance.

Cigarettes and their associated harms are worse than that, though. Pollution and littering are two problems that distinguish them from simply being an annoyance, like for example you.

Your world has been tried, and its disappearing. Time for the patch, hypoxicdude.

UB

Partner tradman

Sep 8, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #37 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cigarettes and their associated harms are worse than that, though. Pollution and littering are two problems that distinguish them from simply being an annoyance, like for example you.

Ah, but there's the murky waters of thedouble-standard again, right?

Cigarettes cause harm so you want to ban them. But then if that's the criterion, you're going to have to ban a lot of other stuff too - cars, fatty foods, heavy industry, nuclear power... oooh, just about everything in fact.

slablizard

Sep 8, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #38 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey unabonger, you drive a car by chance? Well you should ride a bike, because the smell of your car bothers me.
We live in a place where is normal to drive a 6 wheel drive 3.0 SUV and you bother me about "the smoke you have to pass trough while getting to your car"?
But give mr a fkg break!

You drive in highways with 3 layers of cars and you worry about cigarettes? It's like a soldier during an attack worried about blisters while RPGs are flying.

LOL!

itakealot

Sep 8, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #39 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.epa.gov/...free/pubs/etsfs.html

This link is to the EPA which probably is has the most "benign" data due to the smoking lobbyists, but it does state the dangers of second hand smoke.

Personal liberties are an American Institution and when the Government starts to create legislature to limit our freedom, of course the group it applies to becomes upset, which is sorta like when the NPS bans climbing.

I know a number of considerate smokers but in this world there are ahz holes who only care about themselves and could care less that indoor second hand smoke kills. These types of smokers are usually less than college educated and have emotional issues that stem from being treated badly by their peers or family during their childhood and it is pointless to show them truth since they will only deny it. If there is a situation with an inconsiderate smoker just walk away, since the statistics are that they will develop some sort of cancer before their 50, which will kill them.

The argument about "whose air it is" falls under our personal freedom. For instance, if someone comes onto your property you have your right to to tell them to leave. Smoking is not illegal, so if someone is smoking outside in public, where smoking isn't banned, then there is no legal recourse for a non-smoker to take. The local government needs to enact smoke free zones, like in parks and 4 meters outside of building, and if these zones are not being enforced, then you need to contact the local health department. The same goes for restaurants and taverns where a catalyst in anti-smoking laws have come from private lobbying and health care providers, why do you think the States were suing and winning tobacco makers? If you do not want to be next to smokers in a restaurant, do something about it like contact the restaurant management or your local legislators.

I have the right, you have the right, we all have rights to do whatever, but when the right to do interferes with the right to life, then there is a real problem.

bumblie

Sep 8, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #40 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, one in 800 deaths in the US is attributed to secondhand smoke.

Scary :shock:

vertical_reality

Sep 8, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #41 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, one in 800 deaths in the US is attributed to secondhand smoke.

Scary :shock:

How many are attributed to the other carcinogens we expose ourselves to each day?

In reply to:
One in three personal-care products has at least one ingredient classified as a possible carcinogen. And one in 100 has ingredients certified by the U.S. government as known or probable causers of cancer.
That's according to a study of the labels of 7,500 hair, skin and tooth care products, makeup, baby oils and shaving aids by the Environmental Working Group, a research organization.

Examples cited include the hormone progesterone, a possible carcinogen, that appears in sunscreen, moisturizers and foundation makeup. And benzyl violet 4B, used as a colorant, is a known carcinogen. It is found in nail ......

winter

Sep 8, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #42 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They have an interesting add campaign here in Canada that features people who are non-smokers who are dying of things caused by smoking. Waitresses, things like that.

I feel very strongly that use of any substance; whether it be drugs, alcohol or cigarettes should be the decision of an adult, but I also feel that most of these things, including cigarettes, should be enjoyed at home. By smoking in a public place you are subjecting others to your habit. When drinking you are not forcing those around you to also feel the effects of the drink.

As far as bar owners deciding for themselves, this logic is flawed because no one will chose to have a non-smoking bar thereby excluding a percentage of patrons. Because no one will be the first to risk loosing patrons, legislating everyone to do it seems the only answer.

I love going out to the clubs in Vancouver where smoking is banned in bars/clubs. It makes me happy because in my home town I have stopped going out almost completely....from a couple times a month to a couple times a year exclusively because of the smoke.

I am also biased agaist smoking because as a child both my parents were chain smokers. It bothered me to no end and every day we would ask them to stop.
The point is, smoking affects those around you more than any other recreational substance.

vertical_reality

Sep 8, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #43 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They have an interesting add campaign here in Canada

Tell them about the nasty labels on the packs!

unabonger

Sep 8, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #44 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Ah, but there's the murky waters of thedouble-standard again, right?

Cigarettes cause harm so you want to ban them. But then if that's the criterion, you're going to have to ban a lot of other stuff too - cars, fatty foods, heavy industry, nuclear power... oooh, just about everything in fact.

First, I never said I want to ban them. Quit making things up again. Second, I'm protected from every other harm you mentioned. I'm not protected from some loser who thinks it appropriate to expose others to his pollution. What you (not me) referred to as the criterion fails to distinguish between who is harmed, the protection that is offered them, and the benefits they recieve from said activity.

Regarding your examples of fatty foods, heavy industry, nucleur power. Even though I may not partake of McDonalds, I am not harmed by someone's eating a Big Mac. There may be some very tiny cost in health insurance premiums, I haven't seen proof. Why would I want to ban it? Nuclear energy? Actually one of the least polluting forms we have. All for it. Some have been harmed by it, just as they have coal, oil, and hydroelectric. I'm all for mitigating those harms, and I recognize that every one of us benefits from efficient energy production. How has anyone beside the user benefited from cigarette use? The harm from cigarette smoke is proximate and immediate, and you have no right to do me harm in public places.

Heavy industry? This is so feeble an example that you must be operating on one lung.

For what its worth, I would probably allow bars and restaurants to allow smoking if I had to make a choice. I would ban it in and around other public places. Grocery stores, for example. They are places that everyone must go to within convenient distance, the barriers to entry for competition are great, and children must be able to enter without being exposed. If you smoke, and you have half a brain, stay the eff away from entrances. Also I would ban it completely on the property of publicly owned parks and beaches, government buildings, libraries, schools, airports.

UB

bumblie

Sep 8, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #45 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I feel very strongly that use of any substance; whether it be drugs, alcohol or cigarettes should be the decision of an adult, but I also feel that most of these things, including cigarettes, should be enjoyed at home. By smoking in a public place you are subjecting others to your habit. When drinking you are not forcing those around you to also feel the effects of the drink.

But the people hurt or killed by drunk drivers certainly feel "the effects of the drink".

BTW I think the constant lower of legal blood alcohol levels are pretty ridiculous. It's another area where opposition is making gains to restrict "undesirable" behavior.

unabonger

Sep 8, 2004, 7:55 PM
Post #46 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey unabonger, you drive a car by chance? Well you should ride a bike, because the smell of your car bothers me.
We live in a place where is normal to drive a 6 wheel drive 3.0 SUV and you bother me about "the smoke you have to pass trough while getting to your car"?
But give mr a fkg break!
Easy, lizard. Take a smoke break. Out by the dumpster please. We already addressed the distinctions between using a polluting vehicle for transportation, and smoking.

If you have trouble distinguishing the differences, you need a something stronger than nicotine to make it through your existence.

And why would you argue that one harm is ok because we allow another one? That's like saying soldiers should never worry about blisters because they might get blown up by an RPG. You moron, of course they can worry about blisters too. Quit using one bad behaviour to justify another one!

In reply to:
It's like a soldier during an attack worried about blisters while RPGs are flying.

LOL!

LOL Indeed.

UB

unabonger

Sep 8, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #47 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
be enjoyed at home. By smoking in a public place you are subjecting others to your habit. When drinking you are not forcing those around you to also feel the effects of the drink.

But the people hurt or killed by drunk drivers certainly feel "the effects of the drink".

Umm...that's why DUI is illegal, bumblie. Not a valid comparison, unless you're trying to make her point.

UB

bluto

Sep 8, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #48 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Easy, lizard. Take a smoke break. Out by the dumpster please. We already addressed the distinctions between using a polluting vehicle for transportation, and smoking.

You tried to address the distinction by stating that smoking has no economic benefit, which is false.

slablizard

Sep 8, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #49 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Point taken :?

After all I'm a smoker, even if rarely more than 3 a day (unless I'm drinking). What I don't agree on is the crusade against it, it's just a bit ridiculous IMO. It is working thou.

That said I never smoke indoor and my wife and kids give me a real hard time everytime I smell of smoke (that is gross I know) so give me a little break at least here... :lol:

But still... a smoke after a send ahhhhhh..that's almost as good as after an espresso.

In reply to:
In reply to:
But give mr a fkg break!

If you have trouble distinguishing the differences, you need a something stronger than nicotine to make it through your existence.

And why would you argue that one harm is ok because we allow another one? That's like saying soldiers should never worry about blisters because they might get blown up by an RPG. You moron, of course they can worry about blisters too. Quit using one bad behaviour to justify another one!

In reply to:
It's like a soldier during an attack worried about blisters while RPGs are flying.

LOL!

LOL Indeed.

UB

bumblie

Sep 8, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #50 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought her point was no one was adversely affected by those going out and drinking.

With regard to vehicle pollution - it wasn't covered. You merely glossed over it. By no means, is the amount of driving (particularly by single occupancy vehicles) necessary. Just because it's acceptable, doesn't mena it's just. How many times have you made that +5 hour drive to the NRG by yourself?

Maybe we should have a progressive tax on gasoline. For personal business, i.e. commuting & normal errands, we would pay a moderate tax. As we used more and more gas for leisure, i.e. weekend climbing trips, we would pay more and more for additional, unneccesary impact on the environment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook