RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

jumar

Sep 23, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Favorite Gloves for Ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What gloves do you like to use ice climbing? I'm too picky with my gloves, so it seems like I get a new pair every year looking for the perfect glove.

I want a thin glove (my hands don't get too cold), so I have good dexterity, but a big problem I have is they wear through on the palm after rappelling for a season.

So I've been looking for a good pair of gloves with leather on the palms. I've tried some insulated belay gloves, that work great for rappelling. But they're kind of stiff, making it harder to hold the axe. And they don't cover my wrists.

I also tried some REI gloves with leather palms. I love them, but there was a small portion that wasn't covered in leather, that quickly wore through.

I just ordered a pair of BD Glissade from Sierra Trading Post. Thought I'd see how they are.

billburning

Sep 23, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Re: Favorite Gloves for Ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fox full finger bike gloves.

stickels

Sep 23, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #3 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I, like you, do not like a thick glove and do not suffer from cold hands. Also like you I am picky about gloves, and also like you I switched many times before I found what works, for me at least :roll: .

So far the best stuff I've found, ironically, are not made by an "outdoor" or "climbing" company. Currently I use 3 pairs of gloves (which cost the price of one high end pair BTW). I use the "original" Mechanix glove ($24.99) and the insulated "original" glove ($29.95) for real cold days (www.mechanix.com). They are cheap, leather type palm, fairly durable, and super dexterity. This season they make like a hundred different pairs. They fit well and like I said are easy on the wallet. The third pair I use is, ironically enough, made by Burton Snowboards. They fit like the mechanix gloves but have a WAY WAY WAY tacky/sticky palm. You defiantly do not want to rap with these guys. I think the model name is the Ronon (sp?) glove and the generally make them in the spring. They fit great and the palm is almost sticky enough to let you climb wet rock. FWIW, I also drag along a pair of FAT belay mittens when I'm hanging out.

If you are dead set on getting an outdoor/climbing company glove I'd look at the Ice Flow from Cloudveil, the new BD gloves, and Marmot has some great ice gloves coming out this season as does Charlet Moser. I went this route for years. What I found worked best is buy a nice high end glove for climbing and stuff and getting a cheap pair of leather guys for rapping duty.

Unfortunatly, for me, there is not an all purpose glove that will keep you warm, dry, and climb well. Your asking for a 4X4 Honda with 3 feet of clerance that will still run 10s at the drag strip - won't happen.

Hope this helps :roll:

rendog

Sep 23, 2004, 2:28 PM
Post #4 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you are dead set on getting an outdoor/climbing company glove I'd look at the Ice Flow from Cloudveil, the new BD gloves

personally I have both of these gloves....Ice flow for mixing and the BD's for when it's forehead blistering cold

Love 'em both, plus I also have a pair of those mechanix impact gloves (i get 'em free from work) and they're pretty nice too. good feeling

anyway my .02$ worth

brianinslc

Sep 23, 2004, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want a thin glove (my hands don't get too cold), so I have good dexterity, but a big problem I have is they wear through on the palm after rappelling for a season.

I've been playin' with the Atlas gloves (ie, gas station or grocery store). Rubber coated palms, stretchy backs. I picked up a pack of them for around 50 cents a pair, so, no worries if they don't last. Look at some of the high end ice comp guys, and what they're wearing...

Also use the BD gloves (whatever's on sale). Verglas with the leather palm. There's a ton of lightweight models out there, most pretty nice. I think I've tried the glissade and liked them. Dry tool glove is nice too.

-Brian in SLC

gunked

Sep 23, 2004, 2:52 PM
Post #6 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I probably have about...oh I don't know...10 to 15 pairs of gloves that I've used over the years. I worked in a mountain shop and my hands get cold pretty easily. My two favorite pairs of gloves are the BD Ice glove (For cold days and /or more than one pitch) once it breaks in (second or third use) AND, I believe they're called the X-trainer by Marmot. They're essentially like any other thin glove. I just happened to come across these cheap. Pretty similar to the other 'dry-tooling' gloves on the market. Stretchy with no insulation and a good grip!

-Jason

winglady

Sep 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #7 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I hate ice climbing (I wanna be WARM when I climb!), but my husband loves it. After years of trying glove after glove and never being quite happy with the duel between warmth and flexibility, he's now a big fan of BD Ice Gloves.

He suffered frostbite on all his fingertips decades ago on Denali (but recovered), and his hands are now quite sensitive to cold, so if his hands can stay warm using these, probably yours will too.

dredsovrn

Sep 23, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #8 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Moutain Hardware gloves that I was pretty impressed with last year. Thin shell with leather paln, long cuff, long straps so they can hang from your wrist, and a fleece like liner. They seemed pretty versitile, and have a thin leather palm that sticks like glue. Weird actually. Unfortunately I don't know the name of this glove. I don't think I would have bought them new because they were like $100. I picked them up on sale for 35 or 40. I am sure they have more like it.

brianthew

Sep 26, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #9 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a fan of my BD Dry Tool gloves. Very high dexterity, nice leather palm, fingers, and finger tips. Not good when it's wet out or very cold, though. Then I break out the ghetto pair of BD Neve gloves I got some years back on sale with after-market sealed seams.

microbdcamalot

Sep 26, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #10 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

illsecond that. bd dry tool gloves rock except when its wet snowing or cold....so ther good 45% of the time.

jumar

Sep 27, 2004, 1:48 PM
Post #11 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some BD Dry Tool gloves a few years back. I liked them a lot myself, except they'd soak up water like a sponge, so you had to make sure my dry tooling was....well...dry.

The pair I had didn't have leather palms. Is that a recent change? They wore out rappelling from one season.

brianthew

Sep 27, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #12 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No leather palms? Interesting. As far as I know they've always had such a palm. Perhaps you had some sort of prototype or perhaps another similar glove? It strikes me as odd that a pair of ice climbing/dry tooling gloves would be made without any re-enforcement or grip enchancements in the palm.

ben87

Sep 27, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #13 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ice Flow from Cloudveil is what I think I have. leather palm, very good dexterity, and nice padding on the knuckle side for all that bashing. not warm enough if it REALLY cold.

I don't ice climb much, so don't take my 2cents for more than they're worth.

-Ben

cfnubbler

Sep 27, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #14 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb High used to distribute a glove called the Guide Glove by Extremities of the UK (the same folks who make Wild Country Tents). They had bomber leather palms and fingers on on one side, with windstopper fleece on the back side, and seemed to have a light layer of some other insulator as well. Amazing dexterity, tough as nails, and reasonably warm. They were far and away the best ice gloves I've ever owned. I don't believe they're available in the states anymore, but you might be able to get them through Terra Nova, Extremities parent company.

-Nubbler

leejenkins

Sep 27, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #15 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Iv'e had a pair of Alpine gloves from Lowe-Alpine for 3 years. They are very warm and climb well. I had BD Icegloves before and found the LA gloves are far superior constructed etc.

I ordered them online from LewisNClark outdoors.

Check out the following link for product details and where to buy them...

http://lowe-alpine.tslsport.co.uk/Products/Detail.asp?ProductTypeID=9&ProductGroupID=789&Position=0&SpecificActivityID=&ActivityCategoryID=

jbell2355

Sep 27, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of BD Ice gloves that I like pretty well. I also have a pair of "Glacier Gloves". They're awesome as long as it isn't toooo cold. They are extremely dextrous and 100% waterproof. I've even worn them surfing in 38 degree water. The glacier gloves don't have a leather palm and probably wouldn't hold up to too many rappels. I would just carry a pair of shi++y leather gloves for rappelling.

chrisp

Oct 5, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #17 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The cloudveil ice flow glove provides a pefect balance of waterproofness, suppleness, and knuckle padding.

Schoeler soft shell outer and a microfleece lined-pittard goatskin palm.

IMO they cannot be improved upon.

forkliftdaddy

Oct 11, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #18 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cloudveil Ice Flow Gloves for the pitches.
BD Mercury Mitts for the belays.

pheenixx

Oct 11, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #19 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on having a lighter pair to rap with.

I found many gloves mentioned here worked until temps dropped below 28F. Ouray = np then I went up to the Rockies w/ same gloves and x-perienced 1st case of SCREEMING barf-ees (hands so cold it makes you cry). The Canadians laughed at me for expecting anything more from "american made gloves".

So then I found a pair of REAL gloves "Auclair Backcountry Gloves". Auclair sponsors many winter events and teams in Canada. I bought them in Canmore at "Valhalla Outfitters" 403-678-5610. There is a picture: http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php?product_id=312620&cat_id=9&subcat_id=69&PHPSESSID=&PHPSESSID= ...though it doesn't show much detail or do the glove justice -- but for $69 CAN (subtract 1/3 for $US) It was a steal deal for comfort, dexterity & warmth....Ahhhh...

note** ladie's sz med fits well into this glove sz sm. -- only av in men's sizing.

cryder

Oct 25, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #20 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a pair of Auclair's ($40), used them this weekend, and was not impressed. Got soaking wet, poor dexterity (I was on tough mixed route in full-on conditions...), and the leather palms had significant wear after one use. I would probubly love them for general mountaineering... but on the tough ice routes they just didnt make the cut. They were rather handsome though.

So tonight I went and picked up a pair of Marmot Borealis gloves ($40). First thoughts: A thin glove with excellent articulation, sensitivity, and well insulated knuckles. Good leashes, and a simple draw closure. Have nice grippy fabric as well. I'm impressed, and am hoping they breath well. On cold days (-5 F or colder) I will slip a mit over them. Tip: Buy them one size smaller then normal, and sacrafice a little warmth for extra sensitivity and precise fit.

As for the rappels, I use oversized elk skin gloves soaken in NikWax. ($7)
If nessescary, I will also use a hand over hand rappel techinique that definitely saves the gloves and helps keep iced up ropes from getting too rowdy.

- n -

pheenixx

Oct 25, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #21 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just bought a pair of Auclair's ($40), used them this weekend, and was not impressed. Got soaking wet, poor dexterity (I was on tough mixed route in full-on conditions...), and the leather palms had significant wear after one use. I would probubly love them for general mountaineering... but on the tough ice routes they just didnt make the cut. They were rather handsome though.

So tonight I went and picked up a pair of Marmot Borealis gloves ($40). First thoughts: A thin glove with excellent articulation, sensitivity, and well insulated knuckles. Good leashes, and a simple draw closure. Have nice grippy fabric as well. I'm impressed, and am hoping they breath well. On cold days (-5 F or colder) I will slip a mit over them. Tip: Buy them one size smaller then normal, and sacrafice a little warmth for extra sensitivity and precise fit.

Hey dude ~ Gloves are a personal thang. Sorry they didn't work out for you but for every person something doesn't work for -- there are 10 that give it a *thumbs-up* . They happen to be a company chosen for team sponsorship sports in the Rockies. A lot of people depend on those gloves. My hands get very cold on ice and I don't think that the "Mid-Weight Fleece" as a liner in your gloves would work as I had already tried that route. These were pair #5 for me -- so I'm not just talking out of my as*. Marmot sells those as a snow/ski glove so I don't think the're worth the check. But hey congrads, you only had to try 1 other pair. ps ~ Yes, they are leather gloves/palms and no leather is absolutely waterproof, but I've used them all day and never had any wet hands, Yeah - when it gets cold -- HaHa - if you can climb with gloves AND with a MIT over them too -- more Power 2-YA.

~ Cheers ~

cryder

Oct 25, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #22 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude. Nothing personal against the company. The glove I used didn't work out for me. So I went with something different.

In reply to:
Marmot sells those as a snow/ski glove so I don't think the're worth the check.

Yep. Marketed as a ski glove. Heaven forbid I use it as a climbing glove. But maybe I was mistaken and bought the wrong pair of Auclair gloves... exactly which one is their ice climbing glove?

In reply to:
But hey congrads, you only had to try 1 other pair.

I didn't say I only had to try 1 other pair.

In reply to:
Yeah - when it gets cold -- HaHa - if you can climb with gloves AND with a MIT over them too -- more Power 2-YA.

I use what works. I climb commiting alpine routes in conditions that a lot of people wont get out of their snuggly little cars in. Some gloves that work great at -5F just dont cut it at -30F, and a mitt shell has done well for me on those days. A regular insulated glove has not thus far. But I'm open minded, and I'll keep experimenting with different brands as I climb.

pheenixx

Oct 27, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #23 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude. Nothing personal against the company. The glove I used didn't work out for me. So I went with something different.

In reply to:
Marmot sells those as a snow/ski glove so I don't think the're worth the check.

Yep. Marketed as a ski glove. Heaven forbid I use it as a climbing glove. But maybe I was mistaken and bought the wrong pair of Auclair gloves... exactly which one is their ice climbing glove?

Heaven might not forbid it -- but sometimes companies market that way due to the inner construction & based on their testing. It's probably more than just an arbitrary category when it's outdoor technical equipment.

In reply to:
But hey congrads, you only had to try 1 other pair.

In reply to:
I didn't say I only had to try 1 other pair. .

My assumption stands corrected ~ so how many pairs is it for you now..? I assume (could be wrong again) you are unhappy and still looking otherwise you would not be buying more gloves..? (unless you got time & $$ to burn)

In reply to:
Yeah - when it gets cold -- HaHa - if you can climb with gloves AND with a MIT over them too -- more Power 2-YA.

In reply to:
I use what works. I climb commiting alpine routes in conditions that a lot of people wont get out of their snuggly little cars in. Some gloves that work great at -5F just dont cut it at -30F, and a mitt shell has done well for me on those days. A regular insulated glove has not thus far. But I'm open minded, and I'll keep experimenting with different brands as I climb.

Yeah whatever dude ~ I *use what works* for me too. I like my hands to feel like they are snuggly, *frost-bite* su_%s. I agree about the temps and that is why I suggested these gloves. A picture is in the URL link I mentioned earlier, except my pair has golden-yellow leather palms. Could be you got the wrong ones, sorry. It's the only link I've found and that's why I included a ph# of the retailer. I'm sure if you described called & described them -- they could help you out.!

ps ~ I'm a *dude-ette*... :)

petsfed

Oct 27, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #24 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My god.

A pissing match based on gloves.

Has the world gone mad?

pheenixx

Oct 27, 2004, 3:27 AM
Post #25 of 25 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My god.

A pissing match based on gloves.

Has the world gone mad?

gee ~ yeah, sorry it seems that way. :shock:

I think that most of the world has actually gone mad - sometimes I find a few sane ones though...and I usually climb with 'em... ~ Cheers ~ :roll:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook