Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

moabdirtgirl

Sep 29, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #1 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Stolen Highline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Monday afternoon CHill (theturtle) and I setup a highline at Gemini Bridges as a suprise birthday gift for Larry's (areyoumydude) 35 birthday. This afternoon when Chris went to the site everything was gone. Someone, maybe BLM, maybe drunken rednecks had stole the entire Highline, but left the bolts a hangers. What a great way to spoil the perfect birthday gift. I'm so mad, I could scream... :evil:

colkurtz

Sep 29, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #2 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Stolen Highline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happy birthday larry

bsignorelli

Sep 29, 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #3 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you knowingly abandoned gear on public property and then act suprised when it got flicked?

Sorry the dudes bday gift was flicked though. Sounded like a fun deal.

Bryan

brianinslc

Sep 29, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #4 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Monday afternoon CHill (theturtle) and I setup a highline at Gemini Bridges as a suprise birthday gift for Larry's (areyoumydude) 35 birthday. This afternoon when Chris went to the site everything was gone. Someone, maybe BLM, maybe drunken rednecks had stole the entire Highline, but left the bolts a hangers. What a great way to spoil the perfect birthday gift. I'm so mad, I could scream... :evil:

Hmm....I wonder, from a public safety standpoint (as well as leaving abandoned property on public land), how smart it is to leave a rigged slackline for anyone to blunder into....

IMHO, I think leavin' these things rigged is a sure fire way to get them banned on public land (ie, check out the regs on fixed anchors next door in Canyonlands).

Maybe low profile is the way to go. Gemini is a tourist hot spot.

Wasn't stolen since it was abandoned. I hope you get your stuff back, though.

Good luck,

Brian in SLC

moonshine505

Sep 29, 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #5 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what's more suprising here, that it was gone or that you didn't expect it to be gone? Seriously, people will take anything they can get their hands on. Now, suppose it wasn't just some "drunk rednecks" but BLM folks who took it down, the safety/eyesore reasoning for this would seem pretty valid given the location.

moonshine505

Sep 29, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #6 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another way to look at it...would you leave a toprope up on a climb at a popular climbing area that is visited by both climbers and non-climbers and then be suprised to come back and not see it where you left it?

bandycoot

Sep 29, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend had a cam stolen from an anchor he was TRing off of. After that nothing surprises me. Sucks the B-Day present was lacking, but don't litter!

the_alpine

Sep 30, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #8 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and my pals are in the circus. We throw knives at each other. You know, the kind of knife throwing where the victim is strapped to a rotating target. We like to practice throwing knives in the park. Last weekend we left our setup for only a couple days, and someone stole it! Can you believe that!?

johnson6102002

Sep 30, 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #9 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My friend had a cam stolen from an anchor he was TRing off of. After that nothing surprises me. Sucks the B-Day present was lacking, but don't litter!

r u serious not only is that insane but really funny at teh same time wow i would be so pissed

corbin

Sep 30, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #10 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMMER. that really stinks...Earlier this summer when we were going to do the Salathe we left a bunch of gear at the base of the fixed lines going to heart. Came back early that morning was all gone, 3 jumars, two rescue pulleys (vital to my slackline rig), two harnesses, dasies, aiders, numeerious lockers, tons of shinit. Luckly it was none of our rack. We managed to scrounge around for enough gear to get on the wall the next day. Its kinda funny, the d-bag that stole it dropped our nut tool on the way down we got that back at least. Im never leaving any of my stuff anywhere ever again.
-corbin

picaco

Sep 30, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #11 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I left a couple hundred dollars out on a picnic table one night, and then when I came back in the morning it was gone. I don't get it, why would someone take my stuff?

People are jackasses.

the_alpine

Sep 30, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #12 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I left a couple hundred dollars out on a picnic table one night, and then when I came back in the morning it was gone. I don't get it, why would someone take my stuff?

People are jackasses.

Good point, but which people you talkin about!?

picaco

Sep 30, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #13 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good point, but which people you talkin about!?

Anyone who would knowingly steal a high line, regardless if it's on public land or not. I don't think I'd call some one a jackass for leaving a line up, but it probably wasn't the best decision.

areyoumydude

Oct 1, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #14 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to all my friends for a great birthday. theturtle talked to the BLM ranger. He said that we have every right to set up highlines and that he knew nothing about it. Highlines are generally left up for multiple days. To bad we didn't catch 'em in the act. :evil:

metoliusshawn

Oct 3, 2004, 6:42 AM
Post #15 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know why i dont wright more on this web site because MOST of you are ass holes.take your knifes and your money on the table and shuv it up your ass.you people fucken suck.happy bithday larry,wish i could of been there with you.maybe its better that i was not there.you know how i am and i would probobly be in jail for the rest of my life for killing some one.who ever stole larys gear i advise you to never use it.the gear you stole was mine.i gave it to larry.larry is to nice he wont even do enything if he new who it was.

ps slackling helps me from killing some one.............well not any more to all you smart asses GAME ON

ryanpfleger

Oct 3, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #16 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy there buddy... I agree with you though, I have wanted to bash a few heads in my day as well. Honestly to me it doesn't matter whether it was prudent or not to leave your stuff out there, it still makes me sick to think it was stolen. It can be pretty hard to keep a positive attitude about humanity in general when so many of the negative examples are so glaring. Still... there's a lot of good in the world. Very sorry your gear was stolen. I also had a bunch of climbing gear (about a grand worth) stolen in the past, not good.

Ryan

theturtle

Oct 4, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #17 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Happy Birthday anyway Lar, we still had a good party that night too, thanks to Wane at Moab Outback. :D Thanks for all your help too, Season... It would have been the best birthday present ever!

When I do figure out who stole Larry's birthday present ... it's on! :evil:

rockprodigy

Oct 4, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #18 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like seeing fixed slacklines.

theturtle

Oct 4, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #19 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't like seeing fixed slacklines.

Who asked you?

Fixing lines is a common climbing practice, especially for expert climbers. Maybe someday you'll be qualified to understand.

mintcondish

Oct 4, 2004, 7:31 PM
Post #20 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you shoulda cut little slits in the line and let karma do the job.

crimpandgo

Oct 4, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #21 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Who asked you?

Fixing lines is a common climbing practice, especially for expert climbers. Maybe someday you'll be qualified to understand.

Response:
Not to be arguementative, but by posting here YOU asked. People have the rights to disagree with you. By posting here, you are accepting alternate opinions (at least I hope you do anyway). If you don't, that is your perogative as well I guess. :)

Now, for my opinion. I too, hope you get your stuff back. You hear about this stuff all the time. People just have no principles nor morals anymore. I just don't understand how anyone can walk up and take stuff that belongs to other people. Problem is you look at the overcrowded prison populations and its proof that many people just do not follow this policy.

Peace

theturtle

Oct 4, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #22 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Response:
Not to be arguementative, but by posting here YOU asked. People have the rights to disagree with you. By posting here, you are accepting alternate opinions (at least I hope you do anyway). If you don't, that is your perogative as well I guess. :)

Now, for my opinion. I too, hope you get your stuff back. You hear about this stuff all the time. People just have no principles nor morals anymore. I just don't understand how anyone can walk up and take stuff that belongs to other people. Problem is you look at the overcrowded prison populations and its proof that many people just do not follow this policy.

Peace

Actually dude, I don't find your post argumentative. It is actually very positive and fair, and at least your opinion has something to do with the subject of the thread.

This thread is about Larry's stolen birthday highline, If some dork wants to express his opinion about fixed highlines, he can start his own thread.

armsrforclimbing

Oct 4, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #23 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some rope and quickdraws stolen out of my trunk by some likely crack heads in Toronto. What could they possibly use them for? I can relate, hope you get your highline back.

picaco

Oct 5, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #24 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had some rope and quickdraws stolen out of my trunk by some likely crack heads in Toronto. What could they possibly use them for? I can relate, hope you get your highline back.

To me this is totally different than having a highline stolen that was set up on public lands. Both are bum deals, but somehow, having something stolen out of my trunk would make me more upset.

ryanpfleger

Oct 5, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #25 of 29 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People just have no principles nor morals anymore. I just don't understand how anyone can walk up and take stuff that belongs to other people. Problem is you look at the overcrowded prison populations and its proof that many people just do not follow this policy.

Nah, I look at the overcrowded prison populations, and its proof that our government is seriously fucked up. Out of the over 2 million people currently locked up right now, just under a quarter of them are in jail or prison for drugs only offenses. That means they didn't steal anything, they didn't hurt anybody, etc etc. All ten of the commandments remain intact. They just decided they wanted to use drugs personally, or distribute drugs to others who wanted to use them. Now I am not going to say that all drugs use is okay. But there is a lot of evidence that suggests that drugs like marijuana certainly have less of a deleterious effect on a society (whether it is our own or others where the drugs are legalized) than the normalized US drugs like alchocol, tobacco, caffiene, etc. Not to mention the stuff the legal cartels (Pfizer, Novartis, Merck) of the world peddle. Anyway, point is we lock up more people than any other nation in the world, and thats not necessarily a good thing.

Ryan

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook