Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

the_pirate

Sep 30, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #51 of 68 (5734 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing CAR to sleep in [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Saab 900. Fold down the back seat and it is magically transformed to Hotel 900.

wlderdude

Sep 30, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #52 of 68 (5734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you get serious about buying one though and dont want to work on it constanty then look into the 86-91 year models, or to make it easier look for the ones with the square headlights as opposed to the round headlights. These are water-cooled and more hassle free in general then the earlier models. Top quality 86 Westy will run you 8000 and up....top quality 91 Westy will run you 15000 and up. They are worth every penny and if you take care of it you will be able to sell it for close to what you payed for it!

I don't know about that. My brother had an 1987 VW van. He rebuilt the engine 4 times if memory serves me correctly and didn't get even 10,000 miles out of it.

It is hard to argue about the resale value, though. He got it as payment for moving somone a few hundred miles in my family's 1/2 ton Dodge once custom, now cargo van. He traded the lemon for a couple of old outboard motors for his sail boat.

The space utilization of those VW vans is amazing. I hate the way they sound and they way they drive, but I have to hand it to those Germans. They put a lot of van on a little chasis.

That water cooling system on my brother's van was terrible. The radiator was in the front with the engine in the back and filling it was an all day ordeal. Even then, something would go wrong with the cooling system and 50-550 miles later, it was time for another rebuild. Sure easy to work on, though. Two people could easily carry that engine around an nothing was hard to get to.

The same is not true for minivans. As practical as their design is for the driver and passengers, they are an absulte bear for the mechanic. The Toyoat Previa is perhaps the worst. You have to tilt the driver's seat back and remove several panels just to check the oil.
It is a good thing drive trains are so realiable on almost all vehicles these days.

I know the evidence is antecdotal, but I would hesitate to take a VW van with a water cooled engine very far from an Autozone and a post office box where I could have parts flown into from Europe. What a mess.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 30, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #53 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Must have benn a FKN moron. you only have to do a head job on the vanagon every 100,000 to 125,000 miles. I had 219,000 of North east salt and winter corosion on mine when i retired it. only did the heads once at 105K Once you get used to them they drive just fine. My Syncro 4X4 was hands down the best handeling winter vehicle I have ever driven (i also own an F1504X4) Problem was the fckin Krauts don't know squat about electronics so while it handled great in the snow it often ran like crap :roll: seriously you do need to be a decent wrench twister to live in a vanagon. the Ford aerostar that I am in now runs great , hassel free but has about 40% less space. Any way you twist it though If you are advocateing liveing in a freaking stationwagon or forester or whatever instead of some type of van or truck w/ cap you DON"T KNOW SQUAT about liveing in a vehicle.

rmueller

Sep 30, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #54 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Honda CRV that is more station wagon than SUV. Anyway, I spent the better part of this summer sleeping in the back of it with my wife. By building a platform in the back with an extention that would go into the space that was made by pulling the front seats as close to the dash as possible i was able to snooze in style. Also, you'll have plenty of room to store and hide gear under the bed. The car is pretty good, and you could likely find one used.
:D TIP: nomatter what style of car you use, invest in some strong magnets and screen so that you can open the windows bug free. This worked awesome!

tradmanclimbs

Sep 30, 2004, 5:38 AM
Post #55 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only used the FKN moron line because you stated that he rebuilt the engine 4 times in 10,000 miles. if that happed to me I would be diveing off a freaking bridge :shock: I you get a clean (no north east salt) rig, you should be good to go. ps. learn how to bleed the cooling system and don't just replace the head gasket. While you have it apart put on new rebuilt heads, they come with new valves etc.8^)

tradmanclimbs

Sep 30, 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #56 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats the problem Muller. you get used to the inconvience of liveing in a small space and don't know any better :roll: I lived at the gunks back in the mid eightys in a honda civic, I cross countryed in a honda civic, I cross countryed in a 66 galexy which was killer ( seats are like real beds) Cross countryed in a Sabb900, ford ranger with cap and storege deck, toyota pickup, same deal. All the time i was happy and haveing fun but just didn't know any better. Once you have lived in a decent sized van with a real bed, real sheets, real liveing room and kitchen. you just can't compare it to cramming yourself and all your gear into a vehicle thats not designed for comfortable liveing :roll:

rmueller

Sep 30, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #57 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've road tripped in vans too, and believe me I know they are roomier. Note, I said my wife was next to me this summer. Anyway, I was just trying to explain how a smaller car could be used,and I don't want to drive a van everyday. The original poster wanted a car solution. I'd take a Winabago if I could!

salamanizer

Sep 30, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #58 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a 2000 Ford truck 4WD with a hard shell tana cover. Decent gas milage and plenty of storage room. The best feature is, I can pull into parking lots like in Yosemite valley, throw my sleeping bag in the back, pull the tana cover down and sleep un-disterbed by park officials.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 30, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #59 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Winnie thing might be too big, Remember it has to get into places like black velvet caynon etc. the van thang really comes into its own when you have a woman in there :twisted:

Partner baja_java

Sep 30, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #60 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, a CAR that'd allow for sleeping for two, for weekends or week-long trips at the most, not to live out of. other people might find the other info useful though

most cars i've seen at the dealership lots or elsewhere have just a hole cut into the partition that separates the rear seats area from the trunk, usually just big enough for one body to poke through, like the Nissan Maxima. cars this size are just long enough, but much of the partition remains and there's usually a moat where the rear seats fold up and an upward tilt. bigger cars like the 4 DR Camry or Chrysler/Dodge have nice big flat sleeping space after folding up the rear seats, but a boat to commute to work with, just about as wide body as a stationwagon or minivan or light pickup truck

laid in the back of the Subaru's at the lots, all just a few inches too short, or i'd have to have a wrench on hand to remove part of the seats and pile up belongings to make it work. neither i'd be in the mood to do if pulling in late at night. i'm 5'8, but they'd be fine if you're 5'5 and under, with the door closed. tried the same at an adjacent VW place with the Passat and Jetta wagons, but both also a tad short

weighing all the pro's and con's with the stationwagon, minivan, and truck, am leaning toward a light pickup with 4CYL, 2WD, regular 6' truck bed, and camper shell. ground clearance not a major factor, but would be nice for the occasional wayward crag or campground or whitewater put-ins and pull-outs. so probably either a Nissan Frontier or a Toyota Tacoma unless there's a good sedan option, preferably a german or japanese car. infiniti g35 able to sleep two with seats folded up, that'd be the bomb, but already know not gonna happen with that coupe. same with a couple bmw's people have let me lie down in

sooooooo... beside the suggestions so far, any other sedans you've used like this that worked out well?

thank you again

td

Sep 30, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #61 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="baja_java"]yes, a CAR that'd allow for sleeping for two, for weekends or week-long trips at the most, not to live out of. other people might find the other info useful though

An excellent choice is a 2003+ Ford Focus Wagon. Inexpensive.
Always has discounts & rebates.
Very roomy wagon. The most space efficient well designed
lightweight ( 2770 lbs) car available.
Not as tall & tippy as a Matrix/Vibe.
High gas economy. Fun to drive.
2003/4 many have the 2.3 liter engine
2005 better brakes, excellent efficient 2.0 liter
Same basic engine as Mazda3.
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/ford/focus/100402043/specs.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.moreresearch.0.3.Ford*
http://www.focusfanatics.com
www.focaljet.com

VW wagons: expensive, heavy, often high maintenance, lower ground clearance.

omturbo

Sep 30, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #62 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a 89 Saab Turbo. Back seat folds flat. Sleeps two dirt-bags comfy. ~30mpg.

Plus Turbo, mmmm turbo. Race you across Nebraska to the crag.

tallnik

Sep 30, 2004, 8:34 PM
Post #63 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Couldn't be assed to read the whole post, but my spiel is "go disel"...

You'll be amazed at how much further you'll get on a tank, especially on the highway. Buddy of mine drives from Toronto to Florida on two tanks in his Suburban...

Cheers,
Nik

ophir

Sep 30, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #64 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

88 Delta need I say more ??? ok then

yazey

Sep 30, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #65 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Subaru Forester.
Longer than the Outback, and slightly talller. Seats 5, fold down back seats for a nice bed.
I've thrown a boulder pad in for a mattress, and was snug as a bug.
Brought the girl along and tossed in a fouton mattress for extra comfort, and I got nothing but pleasure from that trip.
It comes with racks, which I have yet to use for tripping, because the inside is so damn big I haven't needed it yet. Strap on pads to the racks, and head to beach with longboard or shortboard secure.
For climbing trips with car camping, it is the best I have every owned. Stack your bins two deep and two high, ice chest and all.
Standard All wheel drive means you don't need chains to get to Lee Vining, and you won't believe the handling on moutain road trips to Williamson.
Clearance as high as a Jeep Cherrokee, and I have used every inch access back roads in Big Bear.
Hands down, worth every penny.

P.S. I have owned a VW Bus, 2 station wagons, and an RV.
Forester tops them all in versatility.

verticool

Oct 1, 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #66 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know about that. My brother had an 1987 VW van. He rebuilt the engine 4 times if memory serves me correctly and didn't get even 10,000 miles out of it.

Did he try to rebuild it himself? Did he know what he was doing? Did he use actual automotive tools during his failed attempts at rebuilding the engine? Maybe he tried putting the engine in the front of the Van instead of the back were it belongs?

If you decide that a complete rebuild of a Westy engine is in order there are multiple, very reputable, shops across the country that do nothing but rebuild these engines, package them, and mail them to you at very reasonable prices. Theres no reason to have an experience like your brothers.

In reply to:
It is hard to argue about the resale value, though. He got it as payment for moving somone a few hundred miles in my family's 1/2 ton Dodge once custom, now cargo van. He traded the lemon for a couple of old outboard motors for his sail boat.

Well, I have to argue with you here. If he rebuilt the engine 4 times I'd have to say he lost money on that deal and quite a bit of money at that. I hope he didnt try to rebuild the outboards. Sounds like he should stick with an un-powered sail boat.

guyzo

Oct 3, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #67 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my 87 VW Van.....going on 280,000 miles, just changed out the motor, the trans and the radiator......all of that cost a lot less than buying anything new and you can't get anything that is as good for camping than that van.
IMHO..if you did 4 rebuilds in 10,000 miles you are doing something very wrong. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

crimpergirl

Oct 3, 2004, 1:54 PM
Post #68 of 68 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS has a six-speed manual transmission. And it is a speedy little guy. (Key being the XRS). In contrast to what was said earlier, mine gets only 29 miles to the gallon though. I think it may be the larger engine in the XRS in conjunction with my speeding driving habit. Also, the seats can be folded flat and offer plenty of flat space to sleep in. In fact, I chose it because I can sleep in it comfortably. I love this car.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook