Premier Sponsor:

maldaly

Oct 20, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

What if Bush and Kerry were climbers?
Report this Post
Can't Post

This was forwarded to me from Will Gadd. He got it from Knut Rokne and I don't know who authored it. I laughed my buttocks off. There's enough in here to offend anyone! I love it.
Enjoy,
Mal
----------------------------------------------------------------

I envision Kerry as an aging tradster. Kerry started at a young age, working his way through the ranks, putting in the blood and sweat that used to be necessary to improve. North American wall? check. Wyoming sheep ranch? check. Astroman and Bachar Yerian? Check, check. Kerry also spent his time in the Himalayas attempting the big peaks. Three times he escaped near death experiences as was rewarded with articles of his bravery. His detractors, though, claim his wounds were superficial, though, and they feel Kerry was way too reckless in his mountaineering comand. Kerry even did his duty overseas. When America needed strong climbers to compete in sport climbing comps in Europe, he answered the call, only to come home completely disillusioned by the whole mess. Since then, he has been an outspoken critic on overbolting, chipping, gluing and the general narcissim of the competition climbing world. He is not above the use of bolts or powerdrills, but only when it is absolutely necessary and passes a "locals test". While Kerry's personal values do not really support sport climbing, he feels that a person should have own right to choose what is best for them. While he did put up some desperate crimping bolder problems in his day, he is far to tall and lanky to perform well on today's powerful bolder problems. His partners speak volumes about his intelligence and thoughtful approach to the sport.
Pinning him down to a climb, though, can be a task. First, he wants to do the Muir Wall. Then when it comes time to do the Muir wall, he is talking about doing Bushido.

I see Bush as a sport climber who was born with a silver carabiner in his mouth. Born of climbing lineage, many people feel he has been a sucessful climber by default and genetics rather than talent and personal accomplishment. By most accounts, his brother is really the better climber.
Having been tutored by some of climbings greats, he trained in private gyms and was guided on Americas classic climbs. Being a part of the gym generation, Bush never had to earn his keep on runout face climbs and manky cracks. His early climbing career is shrouded in mystery. Many people have spoken of his early routes being overgraded and chipped to fit his personal style. Many claim he was a cronic gluer, and lied about the routes he climbed in his home state of Texas. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth as those early climbs have been erased from history. Apparently, his supporters crowbarred the holds and bolts off the climbs so people could never discover the truth. Depite his alleged cronic glue use and chipping years ago, Bush supports stiff penalties for people glue users and chippers.
While Kerry was bloodying himself in battle on Gashebum II, Cho Oyu, Makalu and attempts of K2, Bush, through his family influence, got a prime spot in Hidden Valley in J-tree. Some people claim that many of his climbing exploits from this time were falsified by a family friend under pressure to make Bush look good in the climbing community's eyes. Bush claims that whether you are in the Himalayas or J-tree, climbing is a noble pursuit, but most people see the difference between the Himalayas and J-tree. Partners talk about his singleminded determination as his key to success. His lack of ability to alter his approach, though, can lead to problems. Currently, he has been working on Just Do It. Bush refuses to change his beta, despite most climbers telling him that he has the sequence all wrong. Many feel he may be stuck on this climb for years unless he changes his approach.
Over the years, Bush has owned several climbing gyms, but he ran all of them into bankruptcy.

Partner euroford

Oct 20, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Re: What if Bush and Kerry were climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a kinda dumb obviously biased bush bash some how related to climbing....

um yeah, okay....

i know what i'm using my ratings button for....

usmc_2tothetop

Oct 20, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #3 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahaha Oh man thats funny

Partner j_ung

Oct 20, 2004, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is currently posted in Community also. (Or so I hear. I don't actually frequent that place myself. :oops: )

brad84

Oct 20, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #5 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yawn. politics? thats soo terra firma. i thought this was a rock climbing site.

brad84

Oct 20, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not that there isnt climbing in it, but really...

ryanpete81

Oct 20, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kerry may not be a climber, but he is a windsurfer. I saw him rip it up in Hood River Gorge this summer. You never know, he may have stopped off at Smith rock while he was around and done a little climbing.

Partner nashequilibrium

Oct 20, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #8 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice. :)

addiroids

Oct 20, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great stuff. I bet those reachy Layton Kor bolt ladders are no match for Kerry.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

climbs4fun

Oct 20, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #10 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun moved this thread from General to Community.

youreup

Oct 20, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #11 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On expeditions, Bush alienates himself by pushing his own agenda but tries to disguise it through the Coalition of Willing [of].

On walls, he wouldn't understand route preservation and trench out copperhead placements and drill bolts at will.

In reply to:
yawn. politics? thats soo terra firma. i thought this was a rock climbing site.

Maybe you could start a discussion on bolt ethics, the best small cams, or tendonitis. Oh wait, they've all been discussed a million times.

charley

Oct 20, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #12 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would you really trust either one to belay you? :?:

pixelguru

Oct 20, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #13 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moving even further away from climbing...

It's actually a lot easier to compare the two in terms of cycling since they both ride. Kerry is a classic New England roadie who probably still uses wood rims and downtube shifters.

"W" likes to fall off mountain bikes. Apparently he's so disaster prone that he has to ride with his personal doctor in tow (in addition to a couple of snickering secret service guys).

Even though neither climb, at least they get outdoors... it almost makes them seem like real people.

I don't think I would particularly enjoy riding with either... both would probably talk too much.

...but if they DID climb, I'd feel MUCH safer having Kerry belay me than I would Bush.

wildtrail

Oct 20, 2004, 8:30 PM
Post #14 of 14 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One would lie (Bush) about climbing, the other would brag about it (Kerry).

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook