Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climb_plastic

Nov 6, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #26 of 30 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Re: indoor gyms are or are not helpful??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Of course they're helpful in climbing. If you don't think they help your climbing then you're doing something wrong. I've seen many people go from climbing 5.10 on their first day to climbing 5.12 and above in a year. Then again I've seen people stuck on 5.11 for years but I think it's because of their attitude....they don't climb in the gym to improve but to maintain. I started in the gym, climbed there for 10 months before I went outside and after some getting used to the rock I climbed a 5.12a on the second day. There's no way I could do that without the gym climbing because I started off on 5.10 plastic and when I started it seemed like 5.12s were impossible.

colqueerio

Nov 6, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #27 of 30 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a no-brainer and probably a troll, but of course gyms are useful, invaluable even. With good course-setting, you can punch out tons of mileage, whatever your limit might be, in a short amount of time, especially during the cold, dark winter months, when those of us that *work* can't get outside and play all day.

Those of you that started climbing pre-rock-gym revolution probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Our off-season training consisted of getting outside whenever we could to the rock, even if it meant climbing on unbearably cold days (more tendon-damaging and injurious, I'd argue, than any session in the gym); lifting weights (boring, tedious, horrible); pull-ups (boring, injurious); and hangboarding (a great way to stay strong in your upper body, but not anything that imparts the all-too-crucial "rock sense," or ability to stay flexible, read moves, and flow up the stone).

I'd say the only gyms that are less useful are the ones with lax course-setting, but even then you can make up your own problems. And this one gym I visited one time where the dick behind the counter bald-faced lied to me, saying leading "was for members only," because he was too lazy to give a belay test to me and my friend.

But that's another story.

floridaputz

Nov 6, 2004, 2:19 AM
Post #28 of 30 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never stepped in a climbing gym until I was almost 40. I now live in Florida and would have no way to train without a climbing gym. Climbing in the Gym, be it ever so humble, primarily helps me maintain hand strength. It keeps me sharp and praticed on the belay. Because of this I can pick up my rack, jump on a plane and climb anywhere in this country and be ready to go. I already have all the skills, so this works for me.

Partner tradman

Nov 12, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #29 of 30 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're not going to get your s--- in order in at the local gym.

Is that why almost without exception, every single world-class climber on this planet, all of them, even the ones who know waaaaaaaay more about climbing than you (and yes, near-impossible though it may be to comprehend, younger, harder, fitter and more experienced climbers do exist) use gyms to get stronger.

:roll:

nthusiastj

Nov 12, 2004, 2:34 PM
Post #30 of 30 (3308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lynn Hill still climbs indoors. Of course, she doesn't need the help. But If the best female climber in the world climbs indoors, there may be something behind it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook