Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

asandh

Nov 17, 2004, 8:38 PM
Post #1 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

A Polite Request to JT512
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:D

lidosis

Nov 17, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #2 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Re: A Polite Request to JT512 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a N_zi every one quick before zee Germans get here!!

climbs4fun

Nov 17, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun moved this thread from General to Suggestions, Questions & Feedback..

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #4 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jay

You're the man. I have learned a lot from the words of wisdom you have offered on this site. Thankyou for taking your valuable time to help us all.

I look to the decisions you make as moderator on this site to help guide my own life. I am a bit concerned, however, that you locked the thread titled "Is It Just Me" in the General Forum, a bit prematurely. I agree that this thread title was a bit meaningless and nondescriptive. Yet, people were finding it and contributing to it.

Perhaps a tutorial, by you, on proper thread titling techniques would help us all.

Sorry for calling you a thread N_zi

Posters should exercise common sense in titling their threads. The subject of the thread in question, which is something about the appropriateness of the strength of hangers on ice screws, cannot even be remotely ascertained from the title of the thread, "Is It Just Me." The purpose of requiring meaningful subject lines should be obvious, and I won't comment on it further.

Since you have requested it, I would unlock and retitle the thread myself, but I see that the original poster is currently online, and I am hopeful that he will do it himself, and PM as I requested, at which point I will unlock the thread.

Edit: Well, now he's off line, so I have retitled it myself and unlocked it. Now, all I have to do is go move it into the right forum. *sigh*

-Jay

crimpandgo

Nov 17, 2004, 9:04 PM
Post #5 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure I understand why a moderator can lock a thread just because he/she thinks its meaningless? What might be meaningless to her/him might not be to someone else. I can understand locking if threads get off track or contain negative info. etc. but locking threads that that is meaningless seems subjective. I have had/seen other threads locked for the same reason and i was very bothered by it. I was enjoying the conversations. I know I haven't been around that long, but I have questioned whether the rights of a moderator to lock a thread need to be reviewed again with the moderators to assure they are applying the rules objectively and subjectively.

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #6 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not sure I understand why a moderator can lock a thread just because he/she thinks its meaningless? What might be meaningless to her/him might not be to someone else. I can understand locking if threads get off track or contain negative info. etc. but locking threads that that is meaningless seems subjective. I have had/seen other threads locked for the same reason and i was very bothered by it. I was enjoying the conversations. I know I haven't been around that long, but I have questioned whether the rights of a moderator to lock a thread need to be reviewed again with the moderators to assure they are applying the rules objectively and subjectively.

Meaningless title. Way to go Reading Comprehension!

-Jay

asandh

Nov 17, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #7 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #8 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
Since you have requested it, I would unlock and retitle the thread myself

I don't really care about the thread in question.:

Wonderful. Next time you ask a moderator to do something, ask a different moderator.

-Jay

madmax

Nov 17, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #9 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my god, it must be so difficult being a moderator. Having to always be on the lookout for the dreaded inappropriately titled thread! Thank you for helping steer me clear of this insidious problem. You must be so tired from all that diligent work.

crimpandgo

Nov 17, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Thanks Jay for showing once again that you have the capability of degrading people.

I realize the original post was about the title. I expanded the topic/question because I dont think the problem is limited to just post titles. I seen you and others lsubjectively lock threads due to contect you thought was boring or meaningless. Granted you have the right as a Mod.

I am simply posing the question whether the rules applies to locking threads should be re-evaluated periodically with the mods to assure the power to lock is not being abused. The question was not directed at you obviously

caughtinside

Nov 17, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #11 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks Jay for showing once again that you have the capability of degrading people.

I believe he has demonstrated this 'capability' about 6453 times. :P

cammaniac

Nov 17, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #12 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems that the "moderator" in question is acting more like a "Dik-Tater".

I agree that inappropriate content is OK to lock or remove, but hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure. And there sure is alot of trash on this site. So if you lock one thread due to a "Meaningless Title" you better get ready for a long night buddy, and make sure you lock them ALL.

Hey JT, are you taking lessons from the FCC on what is appropriate or not? Cuz it sure seems that way!!

sandbag

Nov 17, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #13 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow this is fun, i created an itnrigue filled and flamefest full post without even trying. Im not going to ever submit a title that is based on 'common' sense. This is a website, its a post haven for self gratifying and grandizing people that are stuck at work, looking for ways to pass time, or just plain ol' entertainment. Its no different than a newspaper/periodical, its an attention getter, its to draw reader into and maybe even engage in a discussion. Debate/discussion isnt about the appropriateness of the Title of the thread. But like i said, its not a free speech area, i dont care. I expect nothing, so anything in return is mildly to enormously pleasing.
:roll:

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #14 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

I realize the original post was about the title. I expanded the topic/question because I dont think the problem is limited to just post titles. I seen you and others lsubjectively lock threads due to contect you thought was boring or meaningless. Granted you have the right as a Mod.

I am simply posing the question whether the rules applies to locking threads should be re-evaluated periodically with the mods to assure the power to lock is not being abused. The question was not directed at you obviously

My apologies. I did not realize that you were brading the topic.

It is not policy to lock threads because of meaningless content, but rather to group them together in the so-called Community forum. The only exception is in the Beginners forum, where we occasionally lock threads with questions so poorly worded that they can't be answered intelligently. We do this because people try to answer them anyway, and the resulting chaos can be misleading to beginning climbers.

-Jay

fitzontherocks

Nov 17, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #15 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cracks me up that JT totally missed the sarcasm in asandh's original post. But he can sure fling it, though, can't he?

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #16 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cracks me up that JT totally missed the sarcasm in asandh's original post. But he can sure fling it, though, can't he?

No, I didn't miss the sarcasm, though I did actually think he was sincere about wanting the thread reopened on the basis of the supposed quality of the its content, so I honored his request in spite of the sarcasm, a mistake I do not plan to repeat.

-Jay

fitzontherocks

Nov 17, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #17 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw you exercise what I think... what I believe... just might... possibly... be a sense of humor in the other (locked) thread. So I apologize.

usmc_2tothetop

Nov 17, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #18 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I look to the decisions you make as moderator on this site to help guide my own life.

:shock: ...........whao Jay I think you got a fan.

salathiel

Nov 17, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #19 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, don't let 'em get you down, you made the right decision. I had no idea what that thread was about until i clicked on it. Some people just don't understand that their thoughts should be clear when they are writing.

Yours in etomological fascism,
Blur

dingus

Nov 17, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #20 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the difference between 'is is just me' and the current big hit, 'what should I do?'

I am not advocating you DO anything more, you've already done enough.

But 'what should I do' is as equally meaningless as 'is it just me.'

You locked it becasue it irritated you, admit it.

DMT

utjake99

Nov 17, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #21 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys are so cute, getting all emotional about some stupid yarn

usmc_2tothetop

Nov 17, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #22 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

~~~~Pulling panties out of crack~~~~

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #23 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You locked it becasue it irritated you, admit it.

DMT

I have locked many threads for having meaningless titles, always with a note saying that I'll unlock the thread if the user changes the title to something meaningful. Usually they do, and then everybody is happy because people then know whether to bother to click on the post, or not. What a novel concept!

-Jay

sandbag

Nov 17, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #24 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for the record, i never requested you reopen it, someone else did. Go close that new thread: " My Website"

jt512

Nov 17, 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #25 of 29 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
for the record, i never requested you reopen it, someone else did. Go close that new thread: " My Website"

So, basically, you were just wasting everybody's time by making a stupid post, and then wasting everybody's time even more by putting a stupid title on it. That's partly why I locked your thread, instead of merely inserting a note asking you to retitle it. I suspected that you weren't serious about the question in the first place. When posters want a serious discussion of the issue, they change the title as requested, and ask me to unlock the thread; on the other hand, when they are jsut making a stupid post, you don't bother. Then the thread remains locked and other users aren't trolled into wasting their time trying to provide an intelligent response to a stupid question. Then, I go and make the mistake of thinking that asandh was sincere about the thread being worthwhile, so I unlocked it. See, no good turn goes unpunished.

-Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook