Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
HP40 in the wintertime
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

iltripp

Dec 2, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

HP40 in the wintertime  (North_America: United_States: Alabama: Northern: Horse_Pens_40)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm hoping to take a little SE sandstone bouldering tour at the beginning of January. I'll probably hit up HP40, Rocktown, and maybe one or two other places.

I was wondering what typical weather is like during January. Should I expect rain? Cold weather?

Also, is there any camping at HP? I heard you can camp in the parking lot at Rocktown. Anything similar at horsepens?

Finally, I read somewhere that Horsepens was closed monday through wednesday. Is this still the case or is it open all week?

Any help/advise for HP (or anywhere else in the area) would be greatly appreciated.

I've lived in N.C. for about 9 years and never climbed southeastern sandstone. I can't wait.

keinangst

Dec 2, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Re: HP40 in the wintertime [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa, sounds like you've found the www.hp40disinformation.com website!

Camping/climbing 7 days a week, with few exceptions (festivals, etc). Dedicated camping/parking area right next to the boulders. http://www.hp40.com

January--midwinter--can have cold rainstorms and occasional ice/snow, but it usually dries up pretty quickly due to the driest air of the year. Cold is relative. It's rarely below freezing during the day, but it's been known to happen. Upper 30's to mid 40's is more typical.

In reply to:
I've lived in N.C. for about 9 years and never climbed southeastern sandstone. I can't wait.

I've climbed for a couple years here, and have only touched granite once. And don't plan to again any time soon. This place will spoil you for good friction. :wink:

gnarled_hands

Dec 2, 2004, 3:35 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only been there once since it has reopened but I can tell you a few things: The campground at HP40 is right freakin next to the boulders so you have ready access day or night.

Now that HP40 is more of a propietary area, you must pay to camp (per night). I remember the fee being steep but you are practically in the boulderfield. I am not sure if there is a whole lot of free camping outside the property.

I am not sure about its closure during the week but most of your questions can be found on their website if you google 'horse pens 40'.

I you have never been there you are in for a treat. It is a really unique area with some really classic probs. Now that the temps are cold it is oh-so-sweet to be pullin on those sandstone slopers.

iltripp

Dec 2, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the responses.

I can't wait for this trip to start. I've got just under a month to train now.

chouca

Dec 2, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The place rocks. People are super friendly and the climbers really get into a good times vibe. Never ran into an ugly crowd there.

The only bad thing about the weather are the Winter rain storms that can hover over the area for days and weeks, with few other dry climbing options in the region. But usually you'll find plenty of crisp, hi-30's to mid-50's days that are perfect(like today) for slopin'. Come on down and have some fun.

Marc B.

gneiss

Dec 2, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've climbed for a couple years here, and have only touched granite once. And don't plan to again any time soon. This place will spoil you for good friction. :wink:

WOW, time to expand your horizons a little bit. There's some granite around with unbelievable climbing too. Not to mention good friction.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 2, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not sure about its closure during the week but most of your questions can be found on their website if you google 'horse pens 40'.
http://www.hp40.com/

roambb1

Dec 2, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To train for HP, slopers, slopers, slopers, friction and feet. There is actually plenty of different problems requiring all moves and holds, but you'll be happy if your open hand grip is strong, and your footwork precise.
Have fun... you can get any kind of weather down there in Jan.
BB

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook