Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

Partner bouldertom

Dec 2, 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #51 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Re: Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the forecast beckons, is there any interest ina Bellefonte trip to meet our easter troop?

The resounding silence after I mentioned it hurt my ears.

That's sounds like a good idea but I don't know if the weather is going to cooperate. For some reason State College is the center for crappy weather. Also the semester is closing up soon so myself and that antagonist, fixednut, might not be climbing too many more days. Nevermind, you should all come and climb anyway!

Partner bouldertom

Dec 2, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #52 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the forecast beckons, is there any interest ina Bellefonte trip to meet our easter troop?

That's sounds like a good idea but I don't know if the weather is going to cooperate. For some reason State College is a magnet for crappy weather. Also the semester is closing up soon so myself and that antagonist, fixednut, might not be climbing too many more days. Nevermind, you should all come and climb anyway!

mrmojorisin

Dec 2, 2004, 5:35 PM
Post #53 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live fifteen minutes from the Bellefonte quarry and it has been my home crag since I have started climbing. So needless to say I know it pretty well, if you guys are coming to check it out let me know and I might be able to meet up with you. I haven't been climbing much recently but have been itching to get back into my harness again.

Plus if you are interested there are a few other very nice bouldering areas to check out, Hunters Rock is only 40 minutes away and is well worth the drive.

climbinvixen let me know if you are coming up this way and maybe I can show you folks around.

Ken

lovechxtream

Dec 2, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #54 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys I have been looking for people to climb with for a long time. I go to school at IUP (Indiana), but I only climb on the weekends. I haven't climbed since the beginning of the fall semester and I am going to be at the factory climbing gym in Pitt on this Saturday. I would be glad to meet some people so I can practice with them. I like both bouldering and sport climbing+leading. I am from Bulgaria (Europe) and I have been climbing for 3 years. I am pretty good when I get in shape if it matters to some people. If there is someone that wants to climb at the factory gym in Pittsburgh please let me know!

charley

Dec 2, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #55 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm always up for atrip to bfonte. Hi Phil and others here I know. Good to see this getting off. Hope it stays through the winter. There is some ice climbing in the area though. Remember there are some access issues at bfonte. If you live near pburgh and I79 you can be at the nrg in about the same time. Then pilot mnt., nc. is only another 4 hrs. or less. I was climbing at seneca and it was cold this past wknd. Bellfonte shouldn't be windy but it doesn't get sunny this time of year either.

climbinvixen

Dec 3, 2004, 2:28 AM
Post #56 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Over a thousand views and 53 posts. Don't be shy, this is a warm and friendly place!

More people have viewed this site in 1 week then have viewed the old PA site in 11+ months!

It's getting colder but it doesn't seem like winter yet. Maybe some warm days will magically appear.

Charley, NC does sound nice, and isn't that far away. Do you know some places?

charley

Dec 3, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #57 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the routes data base for nc. Pilot mnt is toproping and some sport. I've been there once. Stone mnt is only an hour from pilot and moores is in the same area. They tell me you can climb all year there. Linville gorge would be very cold though.

geologic

Dec 4, 2004, 3:54 AM
Post #58 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Yinz!
Another Central PA climber here - I live in Lewisburg where there is zero local climbing, but some good ice forms up the river in Montgomery. I usually climb at the coal slag areas of Mocanaqua, though Bellefonte isn't that much further and Bellefonte is where I cut my climbing teeth. I love the thin friction stuff on sketchy homemade bolts at the quarry :D Also climb occasionally at Hunters and am close enough to the Gunks to head there every now and then. Right now I am jonesing for cold, very cold, weather to start freezing stuff up (sorry vixen I know you still wanna climb rock). Dry tooling in the garage will get old soon.
-geo

climbinvixen

Dec 4, 2004, 1:01 PM
Post #59 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Geo,

Welcome and make yourself at home.

You mention areas beyond the Vixen's ken. Care to say anything about "the coal slag areas of Mocanaqua", which sounds quite funky.

And just how psychic are you? I was doing a little dry tooling night before last. Is is nice, but this inbetween doesn't do anyone any good.

The Vixen also knows not Hunters. Please elucidate.

Everyone,

Here is a link to Tim Anderson's Climb PA web site. Lots of information about local rock and ice, as well as photos, trip reports and links to other local web pages.

http://www.climbpa.telerama.com/

Highly recommended for those wishing to get off the beaten path a little.

charley

Dec 4, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #60 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think donation is in the routes data base here. It is well off the beaten path, well south of state college. I hope someone went to seneca today. It is 50 and sunny, nicer tmorrow.

geologic

Dec 4, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #61 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Hunter's is a great bouldering area between State College and Huntington. Mocanaqua is near Berwick (there's some route info here on Moc as well) - just this side of the Poconos. The climbing is decent - a mix of bolted and trad lines. I've got some pictures on my website (still under major reconstruction....). Today it's a bike ride for me and some more clawing around the garage with plastic boots and ice axes.

Later
-g

charley

Dec 4, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #62 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess I was thinking of donation not hunters.

geologic

Dec 4, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #63 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Donation is just down the road from Hunters and a lot easier to find. Not bad either - used to be my main stomping ground when I lived in State College.
-geo

mountainman

Dec 5, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #64 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be very interested in climbing some ice with you. Are you TRing, leading? How tall are the flows?

buckeyeclimbski

Dec 5, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #65 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have any of you done any of the boulder problems around the Donegal area and if so is there a guide book for any of them? Thanks

geologic

Dec 5, 2004, 1:38 PM
Post #66 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey MM,
Are you talkin to me? (imagine Robert Deniro with shaved head practicing in front of a mirror)

If so, I've only been climbing ice the last couple of years. Mostly TR, starting to lead. This year I plan on getting on as much ice as possible and doing more leading.

If not, and for everybody else: for the dope on central PA ice check out Dave Seasholtz's page. He has pix of the Lock Haven areas, Montgomery and some others. Montgomery is about 50 -60 feet with a whole range of stuff stretching for about a mile on a shale outcrop. I've also heard tell of some nice 100 foot icicles that form somewhere near Wilkes Barre. My usual venue is the frozen (sometimes) waterfalls of Rickett's Glen State Park - east of Williamsport. Very nice when they do come in fully - 100+ feet of moderate multi-tiered leadable ice, with harder drips on the sides and free hanging pillars on the sides.

-geo

climbinvixen

Dec 5, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #67 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a website full of good information. I copied a photo to whet the appetites of local ice heads. This is from Worlds End State park. Peruse the site. Many great links.

http://img116.exs.cx/...p1jworldsend8.th.jpg

Click to Enlarge

geologic

Dec 5, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #68 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad climbing is strictly verboten out at World's End :(

Any Access Fund people out there care to take up a new cause???

-geo

climbinvixen

Dec 6, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #69 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gman,

Ever asked der Commendant of the park why he's banned climbing? I believe the state park a few miles away has no problem with the brave knigths of the ice persuing their craft. Are you as menacing in person as you are in print? IMWTK!

geologic

Dec 6, 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #70 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are you as menacing in person as you are in print?

Only when wielding ice axes. I was once ice climbing in the Dacks at night with some crazed friends and there was a minor accident down on the road in Cascade Pass. I can't imagine what went through the poor accidentee's head when I came running out of the woods in full ice gear - complete with ice tools - to ask her if she was OK. :D

I guess some of the more diplomatic among us should ask Herr (or Frau) Commandant up there at World's End why we can't play on the cliffs of their fair park.

-G

microbarn

Dec 6, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #71 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I am very interested in a trip. I didn't respond because I also have finals happening right now. The first post made it sound as though you were hoping for a trip this weekend or next. I would be up for a trip almost any time except now.

I don't mind going out in the cold either if others are also not opposed to going out.

Easter does sound like as good a time as any to plan a trip.

climbinvixen

Dec 7, 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #72 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1495 views! There is a lot of rock and ice interest out there. Come on all you lurkers! Make yourself known.

This is a tough time for climbers. It's a tween time. Rock cold and wet, no ice or snow.

Already we've avoided a month of winter. Do you think winter will be hard when it comes (good ice) or will this be a mild one?

These are vital matters. We need a good ice season! I do think rock is essentially done, unless we have a warm day (60 or above). But we need at least a month with temps below freezing for the ice to build up.

I'm thinking Bellefonte in the Spring. We'll post it here and see what happens.

rockrat512

Dec 7, 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #73 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for that part of the State you would want to talk to either

PA East
Lonny Whitcomb
Carroll Valley, PA
W 717/642-8282 x3388
H 717/642-6994
lwhitcomb@skiliberty.com or

PA North
Rob Holzman
Dickson City, PA
H 570/489-6588
Hb4j_6z@msn.com

My experience in the west is that the DCNR are doable if you are able to address all of the concerns...its a time consuming process though and if those concerns are primarily impact related its a long road... I sat through a couple meetings where I felt like that old poster of the two vultures up in the tree and the one is saying "patience my ass, lets go kill something". A starting point would be to request an explanantion of why the comandante won't sanction it. If you can get it in writing so much the better as then its not a moving target and work from there.

geologic

Dec 7, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #74 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockrat,
Thanks for the info. I'm not clear on one thing in your post: are those names and addresses Access Fund people or DCNR?

-geo

rockrat512

Dec 8, 2004, 3:05 AM
Post #75 of 2156 (70517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Access Fund.. Im Appalachian North...northern West Virginia, eastern Ohio, Western PA....Lonny is Eastern PA, Rob is a recent addition..Northern PA so theres obviously some overlap. I try to stay Allegheny National Forest and West.

As far as the DCNR I have a great relationship with the regional manager here in the western region (They climb!). Ive also met the Secretary and had some input in the strategic plan...so I could probably find the right people to get to if you hit a stalemate at the park/landmanager level but it is always preferable to work through them and try to get local buy-in until things totally bog down before trying to flank them

Feel free to email me at bobv512@zoominternet.net if there is anything specific I can assist with.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook