RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

hunter

Jun 6, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Beal Top Gun or Mammut Flash
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so I'm in the market for a 10.5 x 60M rope and I think I have it narrowed down to these two ropes. Both have excellent fall ratings, cost about the same, and weigh about the same. Here is the main advertized differences:

The Beal has a nice low impact rating of 6.8Kn but has a working elongation of 7.7%.

The Mammut has a higher impact rating of 9.2Kn but has a nice low 6.0% working elongation rating.

The low impact rating of the Beal sure sounds good to my back but the longer fall distances and the more bouncy nature of this rope concern me.

What's your opinions as to impact force .vs. elongation????

Hunter

feelio

Jun 6, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Beal Top Gun or Mammut Flash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the mammut. best rope you will ever own. I have had two (galaxies) and plenty of other ropes. mammuts rock!

kelv^
Deleted

Jun 6, 2002, 9:00 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i have the top gun and would rather have a higher elongation than a harder fall..the elongation is more but is not all that bad..makes a fall more cushy..and its quite a nice ride as well being more bouncy! *boiiiiiiinggggg*

[ This Message was edited by: kelv^ on 2002-06-06 14:08 ]

jhwnewengland

Jun 6, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm liking the low impact over the low elongation, so I think I'd go with the Beal. The only time I really notice the stretch is on TR, so if you're going to be using it to toprope a lot you might consider the Mammut. I like the Beal for leading though.

tenn_dawg

Jun 6, 2002, 9:04 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I was in this situation, I would choose the rope that looked better. In fact, I just recently did so.

Here's the thing, the two ropes you listed are both really nice ropes, and their numbers are very similar. So close, in fact, that it is going to be almost impossible to feel a difference when you fall.

The only time I have noted a marked difference between the performance of ropes is when you are comparing two ropes of different sizes. For example a 9.6 to your 10.5.

So in my opinion, I would choose the less expensive rope, or, as was the situation in my case, the rope that was not colored in some henious Hot Pink.
Travis

lesotho

Jun 6, 2002, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am buying another rope this week and I have come up with the same two ropes as my final choices.

I have used mainly the Top Gun so I am more inclined to take it again.
You do get a great ride when you fall on a 3meter runout.

BOOIIING Indeed...

feelio

Jun 6, 2002, 10:01 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let me restate my position. beal used to make BD ropes. i used to use BD ropes quite a bit. beal's ropes got softer and fuzzier faster, and to me seemed to stretch more. the mammuts I have had were a bit stiffer, and took way more abuse before showing signd of abuse. plus, as the saying goes "they just have better hand", meaning the feel better in all situations. barring that, I also hate loud colored ropes. Again, I like mammut. that is just my 5 cents!

jt512

Jun 6, 2002, 10:24 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned several of both ropes. The Mammut is more durable but has one of the highest impact forces on the market. The Beal is less durable (but still pretty durable), but has one of the lowest impact forces on the market. If you are mainly going to lead, I'd recommend the Beal. If you are mainly going to TR, I'd recommend the Mammut.

-Jay

drysdan

Jun 6, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A slightly different option: Have you looked at the Mammut Supersafe? it's a 10.2mm rope, with really nice specs. I've climbed a lot on my partners, and it's a seriously great rope. It's worth a look.

-T

verticallaw

Jun 6, 2002, 10:56 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could buy a new rope. dam these parental respondsibilities!

hunter

Jun 7, 2002, 1:32 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input so far folks.

This rope will be slotted for Trad use only. Trad being something I'm just getting started into. I've good ropes to play with for TR, jugging, etc.

Since the reported wear rate on the Beal does not appear to be TOO bad I'm inclined to go that route since my main concern is impact forces. Not only on me but on protection as well. Of course a cushy impact rating won't help much if it means I deck on a ledge that I would have otherwise have stopped short of on a less stretchy rope. Then there is the whole handling thing which is important as well.

As to cost, I'm not rich by any means (and have a wife and daughter to support) but the cost of a rope is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things, no?

If I can't make up my mind then I'll have to get both to see for myself which I prefer! Of course that will mean either delaying getting a good rack going or putting off the new couch my wife has been after me to buy for the last 6 months

Ah decisions, decisions...

Thanks again folks,

Hunter

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook