Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Pawtuckaway beta for tomorrow??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jhwnewengland

Jun 6, 2002, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Pawtuckaway beta for tomorrow??  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Rockingham_County: Pawtuckaway)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Pawtuckaway locals: I'm hoping to get up there from Boston tomorrow morning, and was hoping you could point me to some good problems to work on. I'm going to park at the Deerfield Rd. entrance, so I'll be entering near the Summit boulder area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated: I've never been there and will be kinda lost.

Thanks!
Jan

jhwnewengland

Jun 7, 2002, 12:17 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Pawtuckaway beta for tomorrow?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cmon... Juliana, I know you can tell me something about the place. Any other New Hampshirites out there?

Partner jules

Jun 7, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, man, I wish I had my guide book right now :\

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, anyways. I've never been to the Summit Boulder Area, and though I've read a bit about it, I don't remember too much so won't be of much help here. I'm quite familiar with the Upper Cliff and Lower Slab and have walked through the Boulder Natural Area, and can tell you that this is all wonderful climbing if bouldering/top-roping is your thing (as it is mine).

If I had know a LITTLE bit further ahead of time (like, yesterday, maybe) I probably could have got the guide book and helped you out a bit more, but I'm afraid there's not too much for me to say here.

PM me if you have any questions you think I can answer, and I will try. I think there are a few links to Pawtuckaway sites on the New Hampshire page, so you might wanna check that out.

Again, sorry...
-Jules

jhwnewengland

Jun 7, 2002, 2:34 AM
Post #4 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No reason to be sorry Jules, thanks for your response. I actually just found a partner, so I think I'll go to Rumney instead. I'll definitely be heading up to Pawtuckaway sooner or later though, and I'll start a new thread way in advance next time. It's great to have some serious NH climbers to consult with here.

Thanks again,
Jan

kahuna3602

Jun 7, 2002, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Juliana,
I WILL be heading up to Pawtuckaway in about 3 weeks and I AM interested in climbing the Upper Cliff and Lower Slab areas as my group will be only bouldering and top roping, me being the best climber in the group (which is very sad for them!)When you get the chance could you send me the name of the guide book for Pawtuckaway so I can send my NH friends out to get one. For some strange reason they don't have one here in Miami, go figure. (what's even stranger is they carry the guide books for all the 13'er and 14'ers of CO!). Thanks,, really, REALLY looking forward to any climbing I can get in.

Partner jules

Jun 7, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kahuna,

The guide book I have is excellent, but, unfortunately, they no longer make it. I believe they have a decent one that is sold at the EMS in Concord, however it is for New Hampshire in general and the price is quite steep.

I can send you the information from mine regarding the Upper Cliff and Lower Slab sometime in the next week or so if you'd like, and you can print it out and use that, but that's the best I can offer.

-Jules

[ This Message was edited by: juliana on 2002-06-07 05:48 ]

orestes1724

Jun 7, 2002, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ride the lightning!!! i personally have never tried it but it looks awesome. its a bit of a walk if your going in from deerfield but its in the bouldering area. another good problem that is prett close to the lower slab is outlook. its like 2 overhangs and it looks rediculously hard but its really not. you just have to think it out, its like 2 small overhangs with great jugs but huge throws. i probably didnt help much but if you know anyone there, try outlook.

vaness

Jun 7, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the mushroom traverse!!! its cool.

orestes1724

Jun 8, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, i totally forgot about the mushroom traverse. its awesome, its a huge rock! and its low to the ground and you traverse all the way around it (hence the name mushroom TRAVERSE) it looks intimadating becasue it looks really slopy but its not bad, as long as you get the toe/leg hook. you and anyone, should defentally try it.

jhwnewengland

Jun 8, 2002, 3:18 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Juliana, do you know if this guide book still exists? It looks like it's still being published...

http://newenglandbouldering.com/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=neb001&Product_Code=pway&Category_Code=00-0003

Partner jules

Jun 8, 2002, 2:04 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually never seen that one around, thought I suppose I haven't looked that hard. You're right; it seems that it is still being published. I'd say that if you can get your hands on a copy, go for it.

The one that I have is an all-inclusive guide to Pawtuckaway climbing, bouldering and all, that was compiled in '93 or '94. Wish they still made it!

vaness

Jun 9, 2002, 12:06 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that guidebook id already oublished...they have like 50 copies at vertical dreams...i dont think i have seen it in stores though

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook