Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

insert_cool_name_here

Dec 20, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

fluid motion?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok I dont post much but I to lurk and read alot. since winter has set in here in Colorado I have been going to the gym more and more, I have been climbing since the beginning of the 2004 season and I was wondering when fluid motion is natural? I see everyone at the gym move so much more gracefully then myself I dont know if I am doing something worng or it is just my noobieness?

If I am doing soemthing wrong how do I correct the problem?

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Dec 20, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #2 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Re: fluid motion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok I dont post much but I to lurk and read alot. since winter has set in here in Colorado I have been going to the gym more and more, I have been climbing since the beginning of the 2004 season and I was wondering when fluid motion is natural? I see everyone at the gym move so much more gracefully then myself I dont know if I am doing something worng or it is just my noobieness?

The reason for fluid motion is it minimizes the amount of jerky pulling and pushing that saps your energy. Also, having a slow, smooth pace gives you time to think through the moves as your making them so you don't pump out from hanging in one position. Try moving through an easy route nice and slowly with out ever actually stopping. Focus on the efficiency of your movement and your stances with an emphasis on minimizing the energy expended. Use your hands and feet precisely: look at the hold you're grabbing and grasp it right the first time so you don't have to waste energy readjusting. Same with the feet: watch where they're going and minimize scraping and fumbling. Practice this every day during your warmup. You'll know it when you've got it. You'll do a funky move and think, "Damn, I made that look good."

mikjamz

Dec 20, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #3 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on my experience, I would say the reason you don't seem to climb as smoothly as other, more experienced climbers is just a matter of your lack of experience. It took me a year to begin to climb with fluid motion compared to my original style. When I look at the most experienced climbers, they seem to have the better flow to their climbing. So, just give it time, and keep focusing on improving what you've got. You probably don't even realize it but you are most likely much better at climbing with a smooth, flow than you began with.

veganboyjosh

Dec 20, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing i found to be helpful for me was when someone told me to climb as silently as possible. even if it means dropping down a grade or so, just try to make as little noise as possible, especially slamming my feet onto the wall. just be very deliberate, and focus on where your hands and feet are going, and you'll feel/hear a difference.

clymber

Dec 20, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off since winter has set in its no reason to stop climbing the rock...there are tons of nice south facing spots in CO....as for the fluidity(sp) it takes time and when it does happen you wont notice that it has...one thing i have noticed about my self is that the harder the climb is for me the slower i move and the more percise everything is...

Partner climbinginchico

Dec 20, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Concentrate on climbing slower and more precisely. Place your feet on holds, rather than slapping at them. Look at the hold before you put your hand on it, and decide the best orientation or grip for it. Then, place your hand, and don't over grip.

Those really helped me. Sometimes, crack climbing is ugly though... Especially offwidths.

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 20, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Concentrate on climbing slower and more precisely. Place your feet on holds, rather than slapping at them. Look at the hold before you put your hand on it, and decide the best orientation or grip for it. Then, place your hand, and don't over grip.

Those really helped me. Sometimes, crack climbing is ugly though... Especially offwidths.

Practice to your weakness, play to your strength. Oh well, smoothness isn't my thing, but I try. About 10 years ago, I climbed one summer with a woman who was amazingly smooth even on 10+ offwidths. It was a joy to see her glide in and out of the wide cracks as smooth as a snake moving through the grass. Whenever I followed her, I climbed better.

rob.calm

insert_cool_name_here

Dec 21, 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for the great responces I am sure it will help me alot. And I know there are plenty of south facing spots around here to go but everyone I go with says its too cold.....so I am stuck in the gym till it heats up some.

Again thanks to everyone

fracture

Dec 21, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The reason for fluid motion is it minimizes the amount of jerky pulling and pushing that saps your energy. Also, having a slow, smooth pace gives you time to think through the moves as your making them so you don't pump out from hanging in one position. Try moving through an easy route nice and slowly with out ever actually stopping.

I'm not sure if what you are describing is what the OP meant by "Fluid Motion" or not, but despite a common perception of the opposite, this excessively static way of climbing really deserves another name: "Bad Technique".

Climbing statically results in holding strenuous positions for unnecessary lengths of time, making you tired faster. In contrast, when you move dynamically, you can take advantage of momentum by hopping from hold to hold (your muscles will have to do less work), and you can quickly move your body through strenuous positions and thus past sequences of moves that would otherwise require more grip strength or endurance than you have, more core strength than you have, or whatever it happens to be.

For more, I'd recommend checking out the discussion in Performance Rock Climbing's technique chapters, regarding climbing pace and use of dynamic motion.

alcyone

Dec 21, 2004, 8:28 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure if what you are describing is what the OP meant by "Fluid Motion" or not, but despite a common perception of the opposite, this excessively static way of climbing really deserves another name: "Bad Technique".

Climbing statically results in holding strenuous positions for unnecessary lengths of time, making you tired faster. In contrast, when you move dynamically, you can take advantage of momentum by hopping from hold to hold (your muscles will have to do less work), and you can quickly move your body through strenuous positions and thus past sequences of moves that would otherwise require more grip strength or endurance than you have, more core strength than you have, or whatever it happens to be.

How is moving fluidly bad technique? Dynamic moves are definitely helpful, but you can't rely solely on them to get you through a route. You have to be able to encorporate them into your climbing as needed - to skip a hard move in order to save energy for example. You can climb fluidly and still use dynamics, fluid just means you're not wasting energy by being clunky.

hyhuu

Dec 21, 2004, 1:27 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Fluid motion" just means having total and precise control of the body movement regardless whether it is a static or dynamic move. It's the opposite on falling/flailing upward.

[quote="fracture"]
In reply to:

For more, I'd recommend checking out the discussion in Performance Rock Climbing's technique chapters, regarding climbing pace and use of dynamic motion.

fracture

Dec 21, 2004, 1:46 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How is moving fluidly bad technique?

I don't really know what "moving fluidly" means. I was responding to bonin's suggestion that you should move "slow". Climbing in slow-mo is not good technique.

In reply to:
Dynamic moves are definitely helpful, but you can't rely solely on them to get you through a route.

What most consider a "dynamic move" (dyno) is not all there is to dynamic motion. Just because you can do a move purely static doesn't mean you should---in fact, unless there's a good reason to, you probably shouldn't.

noshoesnoshirt

Dec 21, 2004, 1:54 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You can climb fluidly and still use dynamics, fluid just means you're not wasting energy by being clunky.

Ah yes, fluid dynamics. Throw down those useless "How to Train for Climbing" manuals and devote your time to studying the Navier-Stokes equation.

bustloose

Dec 21, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't really know what "moving fluidly" means. I was responding to bonin's suggestion that you should move "slow". Climbing in slow-mo is not good technique.

*bzzzzt* sorry, please try again. climbing slowly and in control can be an excellent way to move through a climb, it's great technique and can conserve a lot of energy, it keeps you relaxed and breathing well, and you will make far less mistakes.

basically the moral is to climb smoothly as much as you can, climb relaxed as often as possible, be precise, be smart, be dynamic when you need to

jt512

Dec 21, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

*bzzzzt* sorry, please try again. climbing slowly and in control can be an excellent way to move through a climb, it's great technique and can conserve a lot of energy, it keeps you relaxed and breathing well, and you will make far less mistakes.

basically the moral is to climb smoothly as much as you can, climb relaxed as often as possible, be precise, be smart, be dynamic when you need to

I disagree with most of this. Climbing "slowly" should not be the goal, and climbing slowly and "in control" are usually the result of climbing scared. When the falls are safe, then climbing efficiently should usually be the goal, and usually that means using momentum, rather than climbing "statically" from hold to hold. Of course, if you're doing the kind of climbing where falling isn't a good idea, then the old slow, "in control" style is important.

-Jay

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Dec 21, 2004, 6:38 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should be a little clearer: climbing in extreme slow motion as a warmup will teach you to use your hands and feet precisely, it will increase your body awareness, and it will teach you to climb efficiently.

As for normal climbing, and climbing where you are pushing your grade, you want to climb smoothly and in control. Climbers just starting out tend to throw and yank at hard moves because lock-off strength isn't something most people are naturally trained to use. Locked-off muscles are stronger than muscles in flexion, however, so naturally as you progress you'll learn to keep muscles locked off when you can, and flex only the ones you need. With practice your body positions will stabilize, and you will learn how to maximize the leverage of specific muscle groups depending on what each move requires. This is the kind of technique the slo-mo excercise emphasizes.

Now, as routes get harder, moving between these leveraged positions becomes more difficult and requires a lot more body tension. It just isn't efficient, or even possible sometimes to move so many tense muscles rapidly and maintain control. Sure, dynos are a lot of fun and they look cool, but they're kind of rare on natural routes. Dyno strength isn't really going to make you a better all-around climber.

Someone posted this link a while ago, and I just love this footage because of how smooth and in control Ramon is. Despite the fact that this is a very long and strenuous route, you can see that Ramon is in no hurry at all:

http://desnivel.com/tus_paginas/videos/ramonrambla.wmv

Tell me that is poor technique.

I would also recommend picking up a copy of Pro-Tips if you can. Lynn Hill discusses these same principles in her chapter on onsighting hard routes.

dingus

Dec 21, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fluid motion?

Rent or buy the old Doug Robinson "Moving Over Stone" video. Pay particular attention to the Peter Croft footage. Behold, fluid motion.

Big, strong moves, highsteps where 3 smaller steps would work, reaching past two intermediate holds to grab the larger one at full extenstion, and then the real key... no hesitation. As soon as his hand latches onto one hold the other hand is already reaching up.

Fluid motion - in skiing, a successful turn ends when the skier initiates the next turn. As such, there can be no 'one turn.' Think of climbing like that... one moves flows into the next, non stop. There is no such thing as a single, isolated move. Now whether you are moving slow or fast is an issue of fluidity.

Funny thing about Croft... in the space of 5 minutes footage (filmed in a single afternoon I believe) he does Central Pillar of Frenzy, New Dimensions, Crack a Go Go, Lunatic Fringe, Serenity Crack, and the Nabisco Wall... all ropeless. And watching him you can't discern the 5.10 hard from the 5.8 easy, his moves are consistent and he remains fluid throughout these ranges of difficulty.

But just watching him climb, the light will go on... OH! That's what he means!

DMT

horst

Dec 21, 2004, 7:12 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ultimate goal should to climb with perfect economy. On some routes this might require dynamic movements...on others it might demand small, static moves.

A beginner can best develop smooth, fluid, efficient technique by striving to climb each route with best-possible economy. This means climbing a route several times to learn the best way of doing novel sequences, and NOT being satisfied with "just getting up a route."

fracture

Dec 21, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I should be a little clearer: climbing in extreme slow motion as a warmup will teach you to use your hands and feet precisely, it will increase your body awareness, and it will teach you to climb efficiently.

In PRC they recommend this as a training method (which I believe J.B. Tribout was known for advocating) as a way to develop lockoff strength, but explicitly talk about the risk for developing an excessively static and timid climbing style as a side-effect. Why does it develop strength? Because it is a less efficient way to climb.

In reply to:
Now, as routes get harder, moving between these leveraged positions becomes more difficult and requires a lot more body tension. It just isn't efficient, or even possible sometimes to move so many tense muscles rapidly and maintain control. Sure, dynos are a lot of fun and they look cool, but they're kind of rare on natural routes. Dyno strength isn't really going to make you a better all-around climber.

We're not really talking about dyno's; just use of dynamic motion in moves that you could have done static. And I think you're quite off-base to say they are rare on natural routes---the video you post below has at least half a dozen dyno moves in it.

In reply to:
Someone posted this link a while ago, and I just love this footage because of how smooth and in control Ramon is. Despite the fact that this is a very long and strenuous route, you can see that Ramon is in no hurry at all:

http://desnivel.com/tus_paginas/videos/ramonrambla.wmv

Tell me that is poor technique.

Smooth and in control, yes, but he is certainly not climbing statically. In fact, he has very good technique, including the use of dynamic motion.

Yes, he does a few static lock-offs (and they have their place---for example, to make a move higher percentage), but he also is using dynamic motion most of the way through the route. Watch how he will pull in before moving a hand, so there is a brief "weightless" moment during a move, avoiding holding a lock off. Or how he will avoid an off balance move by letting go and "catching" the swing (especially in the sequence in the last crux at the top, where I'd imagine Ramon starting to get pretty tired ;)).

Also check out his use of dynamic motion to "set" a hand on a hold. Instead of holding a lock and moving the hand to the best position, he pulls in and "bumps" it into the best grip, saving energy.

I'm guessing we probably agree more than it seems. The kind of excessively static technique I am talking about are those guys (you'll commonly see them in the gym, where many people seem to be obsessed with strength), who can hold lock-offs on bad holds seemingly forever, but only climb 5.11.

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Dec 21, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The ultimate goal should to climb with perfect economy. On some routes this might require dynamic movements...on others it might demand small, static moves.

A beginner can best develop smooth, fluid, efficient technique by striving to climb each route with best-possible economy. This means climbing a route several times to learn the best way of doing novel sequences, and NOT being satisfied with "just getting up a route."

Listen up, horst wrote the book.

No really. He did.

:mrgreen:

curt

Dec 21, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Fluid motion" just means having total and precise control of the body movement regardless whether it is a static or dynamic move. It's the opposite on falling/flailing upward.

I like this definition best.

Curt

blueeyedclimber

Dec 21, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ahh, what do you know? :lol:

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Dec 21, 2004, 7:43 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm guessing we probably agree more than it seems...

You're right, we do. I meant to emphasize smooth, constant movement. I definitely never used the word 'static'. Let me just quote myself:

In reply to:
having a slow, smooth pace gives you time to think through the moves as your making them so you don't pump out from hanging in one position.

That was basically the essence of my post. You and I are just using the word 'slow' differently. I also didn't differentiate well enough between what I consider an excercise and normal technique. It benefits green climbers to slow down and think and feel through the movements they are making. On a real climb, however, you definitely don't want to waste time hanging out on bad holds.

I once heard a guy who just fell off a route he was working say, "Mental note! Move through crux moves quickly!" I've definitely had to repeat that to myself.

I hope we haven't confused anyone.

Cheers,

-b

jt512

Dec 21, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Someone posted this link a while ago, and I just love this footage because of how smooth and in control Ramon is.

I really have a problem with this "in control" concept because it implies always reaching for holds statically, rather than using momentum to move to them dynamically. If you look at that video, you'll see that the climber isn't climbing statically at all, but instead, uses momentum to efficiently get from hold to hold. He isn't climbing "in control" in the sense of making moves that can be reversed at any point. Most of his moves are dynamic (you may have to watch closely to see this, since he's so smooth) and committing, in the sense that if he were to miss the hold, he'd fall. This is the opposite of what I think of when I hear the phrase "in control."

-Jay

gds

Dec 21, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Someone posted this link a while ago, and I just love this footage because of how smooth and in control Ramon is.

I really have a problem with this "in control" concept because it implies always reaching for holds statically, rather than using momentum to move to them dynamically. If you look at that video, you'll see that the climber isn't climbing statically at all, but instead, uses momentum to efficiently get from hold to hold. He isn't climbing "in control" in the sense of making moves that can be reversed at any point. Most of his moves are dynamic (you may have to watch closely to see this, since he's so smooth) and committing, in the sense that if he were to miss the hold, he'd fall. This is the opposite of what I think of when I hear the phrase "in control."

-Jay

Interesting! I think of "in control" a bit differently and it would include dynamic and committing moves. I think of it as embracing precision. That is the hand or foot placement is "in control" when it hits its mark precisley. So, "in control" would mean no slapping for "I hope" handholds and no scratching around to find a foothold.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook