RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

hibby11

Dec 30, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Southwest Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Planning a trip to the southwestern states in the US, mainly CA,AZ, and Utah. Trips set for summer 05. Looking to do some memorable sport climbing either single pitch or multi but my partner isn't the most experienced so i'd like to stay away from trad so I dont end up leading everything. Also looking to find some cool top roping areas. Any areas which anyone has been to and would reccomend or has heard good things about. So far Jtree seems to be highly recommended along with red rocks, any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Partner pt

Dec 30, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Re: Southwest Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Southern Arizona has some great areas. Check out Mt. Lemmon, Milagrosa Canyon, and Cochise Stronghold.

crackmd

Dec 30, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite trad partners are the ones who don't want to lead but have the tenacity to follow up hard stuff. That way I get to lead most of the killer pitches. Grigris are great for not getting pumped while give your partner "positive tension" if they happen to flail.

bighigaz

Dec 30, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PT was right on buddy. SoAz is the place to go! Just check the weather... we've been getting some rain... believe it!

rmiller

Dec 30, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What months in summer of 2005? If you are talking June -early September, I would stay away from RR, Jtree, and a lot of Arizona. It will be way too hot. If it is during those months, head to elevation. Places that will good are Charleston, Clark, Flagstaff, and the higher elevations of Mt. Lemmon to name a few.

climbsomething

Dec 30, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Planning a trip to the southwestern states in the US, mainly CA,AZ, and Utah. Trips set for summer 05. Looking to do some memorable sport climbing either single pitch or multi but my partner isn't the most experienced so i'd like to stay away from trad so I dont end up leading everything. Also looking to find some cool top roping areas. Any areas which anyone has been to and would reccomend or has heard good things about. So far Jtree seems to be highly recommended along with red rocks, any advice would greatly be appreciated.
You want to climb sport... in the summer... so you pick JTree...

Go to Jacks Canyon instead.

esallen

Jan 2, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'd have a blast in Utah. Stay away from Zions and Arches if your not wanting to trad, but hit the Salt Lake area for sure. If you like Granite, head to Little Cottonwood Canyon. If your a limestone/quartzite guy, head to Big Cottonwood, American Fork Canyon, or Rock Canyon. If your into that conglomerate stuff, drive down to Maple Canyon. Moab has some pretty sweet sport routes mixed in with all the trad lines on red Entrada sandstone (example: Wallstreet). Salt Lake is only a few hours from City of Rocks Idaho as well. There are 4-5 MAJOR climbing areas less than 1hr from down town Salt Lake City. Oh, and bring your mtn Bike and fishing pole for sure!

snaffel

Jan 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well if you just want fun sport climbing i would recomend Jacks canyon by Winslow or the Homestead by Globe or the Dry canyon By Tucson. with globe and Tucson offering the best weather this time of year. These areas all have great FREE camping with routes one right after another. J tree cost a fortune and really is a scary and commiting area.If you,ve never been there our if you havn"t been there in awaile it takes a good week or so to get into the spirit of the routes. And if you have a dog their complete assholes about it. There predators in their eyes.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook