Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jimrock

Jan 26, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

blurr???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whats up with the adds for Blurr. There adds suck if I wanted to see some dude (obe carrion) sitting in a red chair with a glass of wine and a cigar in his hand I would have went to college and got a degree in buisness. Instead I chose too climb. I want to see some damn climbers climbing or at least see somebody in a blood encrusted flannel shirt with a real rock in the background and a trad rack sitting in his lap getting ready to climb.

ron_burgandy

Jan 27, 2005, 4:00 AM
Post #2 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Re: blurr??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever thought of branching out from the standard type of climbing adds, what you described is what fill every climbing mag today. I think its a fresh new idea and gives a little variety to the cluster F--- of adds that fill up all of the mags.

vashie

Jan 27, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #3 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, jimrock is right. A picture of me falling off of a V2 problem would have been WAY cooler :mrgreen:

ikefromla

Jan 27, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #4 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to see some damn climbers climbing or at least see somebody in a blood encrusted flannel shirt with a real rock in the background and a trad rack sitting in his lap getting ready to climb.
WOOPS, i guess the folks at Blurr forgot that the world revolves around you. i'm sure they will be gettin a formal apology out to you soon and beg your approval before they begin their next ad campaign.
or not.

ikefromla

Jan 27, 2005, 4:12 AM
Post #5 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOOPS, i guess the folks at Blurr forgot that the world revolves around you. i'm sure they will be gettin a formal apology out to you soon and beg your approval before they begin their next ad campaign.
or not.

slavetogravity

Jan 27, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #6 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What ever. Just picked up a pair of Blurr denim jeans and they’re now my favourite pants to climb in. But I got say, ever since wearing them I find my self having these strange desires to smoke cigars, drive sport cars, and pimp hoes. Makes me proud to be Canadian.

mattm

Jan 27, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #7 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I like the Blurr adds and their stated goal and niche market.
Check out their "mission statement" at their web site.
http://www.blurrstuff.com

They don't want to be all flannel and dirt bag and rusty VW. They want to be espresso and soft shell and good food.

Play hard and live well is my motto and I like Blurr's direction. If nothing else it's different and doesn't march to the tune off 95% of the other adds and stereo types.

Blurr, Red Chili etc - any others?

johnnord

Jan 27, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #8 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! Whoever does their advertising is really good. I never saw the ad in a magazine, but after this thread started, I found their website. I didn't know about the product line before. Now I do. So in your anger about the site, you raised their brand awareness by at least one. Counterproductive?

climbsomething

Jan 27, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #9 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, because ALL climbers are real hardkore OE-swilling dirtbagz violating sheep and jug bunnies in their VW buses in the Camp 4 parking lot. :roll:

Who do you think they're parodying?

Partner bear829

Jan 27, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #10 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What ever. Just picked up a pair of Blurr denim jeans and they’re now my favourite pants to climb in. But I got say, ever since wearing them I find my self having these strange desires to smoke cigars, drive sport cars, and pimp hoes. Makes me proud to be Canadian.

Just one question. Can Canadians even pimp hoes?

iwouldratherbeclimbing

Jan 27, 2005, 6:27 AM
Post #11 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this ad really does suck. if the products are quality it's ok but, for the love of god, it's like MTV meets the outdoors, which is not a good thing at all because i associate MTV and all of it's fans into one large category..losers.

maybe we could have snoop dogg on TRL teaching the audience how to safely belay...and look like a straight g while doing it.

or have new signals...off belay beitch!..."word g!"

what im getting at here is that it's the image, not the fact they're trying a new thing or their product quality, that sucks and i believe should be cast off by the climbing community. Living nice is one thing, trying to present a certain image in an environment where people are working and pushing themselves to get to know themselves better is entirely another.

P.S. if i find any "gangsters" at my crag they're gonna get an approach show up the ass

din

Jan 27, 2005, 9:48 AM
Post #12 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
they're gonna get an approach show up the ass

rockgal

Jan 27, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #13 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny, Blurr caught my attention by having an ad that wasn't like the old traditional ads. Look carefully at ads from other companies and you will notice that several are starting to edge towards more urban ads. If you don't like the ads then just ignore them, but I know there is a whole demographic of climbers out there who does appreciate them and who has become a customer as a result of seeing the ads.

granite_grrl

Jan 27, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #14 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprized to see so many people who actually like the Blurr ads.

I'm with jimrock, don't care for the ads, they certainly don't draw me to Blurr products. But obviously they are drawing a certain demographic, so to each their own.

I'm not sure if the ads that show some guy sticking a sick boulder problem will really stick out in my mind either though. Any climbing magazine already has a ton of these images. Some of my favorite ads are Patagonia's or ones that show a bit more of the "climbing lifestyle". Maybe its that I can relate to these images more than some dude cranking V13.

Partner sauron

Jan 27, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alternately, if you're tired of Ads alltogether, you could donate a measly $20, and get to browse the site ad-free for a year...

But somehow I don't see that happening - so feel free to continue to complain about the ads that I don't have to see...

- d.

monstertruckmike

Jan 27, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #16 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who cares???? :roll: why be so judgemental of other peoples likes? so what if I like to listen to rap to climb, and "kick" my hat? I'm still out there trying to pull hard, and push myself aren't I? or wait, since I wear blurr, I'm not a "real" climber. :roll:

if it's not your cup 'o tea, then so be it, don't hate on it just because it's different. (remember to the millions of non-climbers out there YOU are different) If I'm dressin different at the crag give me one of these looks :shock: have yourself a chuckle at my expense, since I am not you, and climb hard! (remember we are climbers because rockclimbing is fun!) threaten to kick my ass at the crag, and you've got a whole 'nother world coming. :evil:

chossmonkey

Jan 27, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #17 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This should have been a vote on topic.

My vote is,

THEY SUCK!!!!!

Hopefully they were intended as a joke. Because that is all they are, and not even funny. It's a bit like the Old Navy ads. They are so bad I would never by any of their stuff. Just because I don't want to be associated with something so dumb.

mingleefu

Jan 27, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #18 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I associate MTV and all of it's fans into one large category..losers.

what do you suppose they think of you?

In the movie American History X, there is a scene where the character of Edward Norton is visted by one of his teachers from years ago. After a life of avid racism and unbridled hatred, the teacher asked him, "Has anything you've done made your life better?"

I guess I really just can't imagine your categorizing people you've never met into one large group and knocking them is going to affect anyone but yourself. It's a strange way to live.

jamaica

Jan 27, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #19 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an ad is supposed to advertise what they are trying to sell, Blurr doesn't give any inclination of what they sell except for maybe the sick idea of Jason Kehl nailing his fingers to a board

they really don't portray any of what they are trying to sell, climbing, or frankly anything pleasant to look at (I know that's subjective but seriously, they never gave me any insentive to go to their website)

Jamaica 8^)

kimmyt

Jan 27, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #20 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They are so bad I would never by any of their stuff. Just because I don't want to be associated with something so dumb.

Ahh, the irony.

buckyllama

Jan 27, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #21 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
an ad is supposed to advertise what they are trying to sell, Blurr doesn't give any inclination of what they sell except for maybe the sick idea of Jason Kehl nailing his fingers to a board

they really don't portray any of what they are trying to sell, climbing, or frankly anything pleasant to look at (I know that's subjective but seriously, they never gave me any insentive to go to their website)

And as such I doubt that you are their target market.

The ads are clearly effective though. Some people love them, some hate them, and a lot of people think it's really curious that they would do such a nonsensical ad. But they caught your eye because they dropped an ad in a climbing mag that has nothing to do with climbing. Had they put the same add in GQ, or "Pimp hand monthly" nobody would notice it and it would get lost in the visual noise that is modern magazines.

And if they got even 1 in 20 readers to go to the site after seeing the mag, they'd probably consider that a raving success.

t-dog
Deleted

Jan 27, 2005, 6:24 PM
Post #22 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, get you facts straight....

In reply to:
... with a glass of wine and a cigar in his hand .....

Any self respecting cigar smoker would never smoke with a glass of wine (and even less drink wine out of a sniffer glass!!!). For all of those who obviously don't know any better, next time you smoke a cigar, get a glass of brandy, not wine, unless you want to pass for a total n00b 8^)

Partner coldclimb

Jan 27, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #23 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh... I don't care at all for the attitude of the advertisements, I'm just as dirtbaggish as the rest of you. All I know is I lost to manboy in a dyno comp in Smith, and he's a great guy. I also snagged some free gear there. Based solely on that experience (what else do I have to base it on?), I'd have to say Blurr is pretty cool.

glyrocks

Jan 27, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #24 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Whats up with the adds for Blurr. There adds suck if I wanted to see some dude (obe carrion) sitting in a red chair with a glass of wine and a cigar in his hand I would have went to college and got a degree in buisness. Instead I chose too climb.

Hah maybe you should have gone to college, or at least high school.

I know, I'm an ass.

quiteatingmysteak

Jan 27, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #25 of 43 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not that it is just an advertisement, its that it is a LAME advertisement. Climbing appearal, eh? well to me, and maybe thats JUST me, but those look a lot like regular clothes. Those adds belong in YM or TeenPeople, not a climbing magazine. I think climbing adds are cool because they are of actual places (unless a hold company) and are cool to look at, a RARETY in advertisements. It would be the same thing if iPod made a Mountain Hardware version. Sure, its climbing RELATED.... but who the hell cares?

That, and it is obviously targeting my demographic, which is a slap in the face because I do not buy clothes based on 1) The model having a sweet ass car and an anerexic chick and 2) the level of lesbianism.

That shit belongs on MTV.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook