Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

toobigtoclimb

Jun 14, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #26 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

opinions on being watched [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think I'm being watched right now........

fingerjam

Jun 16, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #27 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually dont care when people watch me climb, unless their makin fun of me, otherwise i dont care. I think its funny, when i fall somtimes the people freak. "O my goodness, are you alright!?" Thats after a little fall I watch others so i can see what the routes are like.

newtocalgary

Jun 17, 2002, 1:10 AM
Post #28 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id rather have people watch over the idiot last time i was out
I was leading route and caught rope in the face then heard guy yell rope. on my route the then proceeded to rap right over top of me looking at the rope not a word said to me

When he hit the ground i proceeded to pull his rope down so i could finish the climb and he bitched No was i was fallen onto some guys rope and getting caught he said I WAS RUDE

micahmcguire

Jun 17, 2002, 7:04 AM
Post #29 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I myself hate rubberneckers. I climb mostly on the Seward Highway in Alaska and let me tell you, every twenty esconds some dumbass tourist will pass by on the highway and honk at you. Really pisses me off sometimes. In South Dakota it is the worst though. I was down there this last summer and it seemed that there wasn't a single car that just drove past us without pulling over, taking pictures, ushering the whole family out of the minivan to stare at us through binoculars. We even had an entire road blocked off once by gawkers who were too friggin dumb to pull off the road before they got out of their cars to stare. People would holler up smartass comments at us like "can I be your beneficiary?" and the like. We wound up swinging into deep cracks a few times each rappel just to hide from all these bloody losers until they would leave. I am gonna start climbing with paintballs and a slingshot soon. That'll teach 'em!

phil_nev

Jun 17, 2002, 9:20 AM
Post #30 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like watching others, and being watched is fine. AT my local crag, i talk to almost everyone so they dont need to watch to find out about a route, i'm happy to help out if i can. Climbers in general a very freindly and easy to get along with. I dont think ive met a climber yet that hasnt been nice.

torvum

Jun 17, 2002, 5:48 PM
Post #31 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im pretty new to climbing (3 months). Ive found that ive learned as much watching, as i do climbing. On my days off ill still go to the local climbing gym and watch people climb tuffer routes, while pretending to boulder or something hehe.

codey

Jun 17, 2002, 6:00 PM
Post #32 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody bwatching me for some reason or another helps me alot

rck_climber

Jun 17, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #33 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, it's simply a fact of life. I primarily climb at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, CO; the city's biggest tourist attraction (aside from Pikes Peak).

The tourists, or gapers as we refer to them, constantly gawk at climbers, which I've learned to handle. It's the ones that want to talk to you or your belayer while your climbing that I get pissed at.

I don't mind being watched, as long as that's all they're doing, but I can't stand to have my focus interupted.

Just my thoughts on it.

Mick

doosh

Jun 17, 2002, 9:18 PM
Post #34 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to watch.

moxy

Jun 18, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #35 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like to watch people climb but sometimes i get freaked out when other people watch me. just nerves i guess. i don't get mad or anything like that;just self-conscious.

kahuna3602

Jun 18, 2002, 10:35 PM
Post #36 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love watching good climbers or at least climbers that have smooth style, I learn a lot from them. I never offer beta unless asked. And I seem to climb better if someone is watching, gives me just that little extra incentive.

rocknpowda

Jun 18, 2002, 11:01 PM
Post #37 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite "watching" experience was when I climbed Tourist Crack in Zion. It starts kind of in the trees a little ways away from a popular parking/view area (now cars aren't allowed in the canyon). I climbed the route and when I clipped the anchors let out a big "woooohoooo". I was expecting my belayer and buddy at the bottom to yell back but instead I got a chorus of probably 50-60 voices. I turned around to see that a tourist bus had just unloaded its full capacity of octigenarians from the midwest, every one of which had had their eyes glued on me as I climbed the second half of the route. When I yelled, they all yelled back in unison "woohooo". I am convinced they were just relieved I hadn't died.

ropegirl

Jun 18, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #38 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pleeeeeeeeeeease! Don't be so uptight. Climbing's a cool sport that most people don't have the guts to try. So let them watch you -- hey, at least they're outside watching something, not sitting at home in front of the bleeping TV.

This is the bit I love.... when you're sitting up on pitch # 4 or 5 of a multi-pitch with great exposure and there's a bunch of big-butt, SUV driving, junk-food eating tourists below, pointing up at you taking pictures like you were a monkey in the zoo.

I love to wave down at 'em -- get's them all flustered. Better yet, I haul out my camera and aim it at THEM!

rockjock04

Jun 18, 2002, 11:45 PM
Post #39 of 39 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty much the ONLY thing in ohio is top rope. and the one of the ONLY places to climb is John Bryan State park. So while Im climbing and we see joggers coming by, I'll tell my belayer to put someslack in the rope. So As they run by I go AAAHHH CRAP and peel off and flail my arms and legs, OMG you should see some of their faces, even after only a 5 foot fall. I do like watching other people climb. Sometimes it humbles me, and sometimes I feel like Im pretty good. But in any case I learn, and thats all that counts. Its also fun to watch people struggle with something, and then slap the top hold. They look so happy. I wish I could be .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook