Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

prankster

Feb 2, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #26 of 30 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing thoughts after Marriage???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I never let my mind wander to far away when i am climbing, but i was on this traverse one time and all of a sudden my girl friend popped in my head. I stopped climbing for a sec and looked down and wondered what would happen if i fell or tied the knot wrong. I was actually kind of scared that i did something wrong. Then i got it out of my head while i was climbing and made it to the top. I think when you climb you have to have a clear mind. You can not let anything distract you from what you are doing.

carbo

Feb 2, 2005, 2:06 AM
Post #27 of 30 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now for you that have kids, did you easilier get nervous while climbing after having kids. Well obviously for several of you it seems so. We will soon have an addition to the family, and I wonder how it affected your climbing (besides not finding time) so that you thought you might quit completely.
Nevermind, just found Dingus' long thread on risk of climbing and kids

cragcrawler

Feb 2, 2005, 5:47 AM
Post #28 of 30 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I married a climber, so we climb together all the time. I too have thought these thoughts. I feel incredibly safe with the people that I climb with so getting over it was fairly easy. However you have to go with your gut instinct. My wife and I were climbing in arizona about a month ago and when we started climbing we both got a gut wrenching wierd feeling at the same time. So we talked about it and decided to role up and B-lined to our car. I don't know if anything would have happened or not (not sure I want to know) but we went with our feelings and left. Just listen to yourself and your feelings and you will know what to do!

topher

Feb 3, 2005, 6:19 AM
Post #29 of 30 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its kinda weird i hade the same problem this last summer under diffrent sercumstances.. i lost 2 good friends to the mountains... one on mount logan.. and another on the drew form..up untill then i was really pushing alpine climbing and putting up a number of hard routes and what not.. but after that i have kinda come to relize that you affect more people then you think.. yes i still climb but.. i am not finding my self in as many scary situations.. like full pitch run outs and what not.. its an eye opener..

congrads on getting married..

healyje

Feb 3, 2005, 7:41 AM
Post #30 of 30 (3407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still climb with a wife and child at home and the principal difference is I make it a point not to die or get maimed in a preventable accident. For me that has meant wearing a helmet more often and not free soloing things even if I know it's no problem. I still do tons of roped soloing and otherwise my climbing is the same. I'm quite a bit older, though, and am somewhat more "settled" or "grounded" in my feelings [than I was as a younger person], my wife knows what's what, and we agree it's my responsibility not to die stupid.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook