Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dahood_boyz

Feb 4, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

what should i buy after a harness?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

listen here everyone...i am new to this climbing sport, and i have just gone like 3 times. i baught a harness package with an atc, chalk bag, and also some shoes. my jordan's were just not cuttin it. but now what do i buy? should i buy some quick draws? also what kind should i get? long ones or short ones? wire gate or not? please let me know....

Partner jammer

Feb 4, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #2 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Re: what should i buy after a harness? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Life insurance!

Seriously, what type of climbing are you going to do? If you are just bouldering for now, a crash pad is all you'll need. If you are going to do any other type of climbing, find someone who is experienced at this type of climbing and use their gear until you know how to use it correctly, then you'll know what you need. I would also suggest taking a class or two, if you can afford it.

Welcome Abord!

Climb Safe and Climb On!

kbanks

Feb 4, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome aboard my friend. Before you go out and spend a lot of money get into it first and figure out what kind of climbing you will be doing. Besides that just have fun :lol:

kbanks

hammerhead

Feb 4, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,

How about buying a few books? I've read John Longs' Rockclimbing and his book Advanced Rockclimbing. That might be a start. That way you may get an idea of what kind of climbing that'll interest you. Take it from there...

Al

jg42

Feb 4, 2005, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi,

How about buying a few books? I've read John Longs' Rockclimbing and his book Advanced Rockclimbing. That might be a start. That way you may get an idea of what kind of climbing that'll interest you. Take it from there...

Al

Agree!

How to Climb 5.12
by Eric J. Horst

worked for me as well...

But don't spend too much time reading - just go there and climb! :-)

speedywon

Feb 4, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #6 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope! You don't need quickdraws until you have something to clip into them. Also, before you get carried away building your rack, I'd spend some time toproping to see what type of climbing you like. Then you can buy gear to match your climbing style.

Have fun!

dahood_boyz

Feb 4, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #7 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you think it would be better to start sport lead climbing or trad lead climbing. i just got a rack of hexes, and also the BD nuts. so i think i am good to go with lead trad climbing

fulton

Feb 4, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A case of cheep beer. You better get used to swill now that you'll be spending your all your income on climbing gizmos

shakylegs

Feb 4, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
do you think it would be better to start sport lead climbing or trad lead climbing. i just got a rack of hexes, and also the BD nuts. so i think i am good to go with lead trad climbing

Seem to know the terminology for such a n00b.
So, drkodos? Jody? Anyone else who slags this board but can't keep away?
Place your bets.

lockeyaaron

Feb 4, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont listen to all these people. No matter what kind of climbing you are doing you need to have the most gear possible. First go buy 3 or 4 60m Bluewater ropes. You never no when you will need to tie them all together to run out a really long route. Also you need more trad gear, always more trad gear. You want to look super sweet at the crag right? Well the only way to do that is to have the fattest rack out there. You little meager rack of hexes and nuts just wont cut it. You need triples of the new BD C4 in all sizes. And trough in there a dozen or so cams of a different brand to give your rack some variety. This should be a good start, but remember. The more gear you have the better you will climb!!!!!!

chitowngirl

Feb 4, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think for now some books would be good: for now you'll learn more by just climbing as much as you can. Then, once you're more experienced and know what sort of climbing you want to do, you can go get more gear. I think you should get FOTH - Freedom of the Hills, the climber's bible. Read it front to back, then start all over again! :)

headchop

Feb 4, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #12 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hi,

Al

Agree!

How to Climb 5.12
by Eric J. Horst

worked for me as well...

But don't spend too much time reading - just go there and climb! :-)

Not a good choice for a n00b. Give it a year or two before you start worrying about training.

Since you've already bought a harness, it's prolly too late to get a beanie.

jt512

Feb 4, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #13 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Any psychologist will tell you that complex skills are best learned by beaking them down into simpler skills that you can learn one at a time. Learning to trad lead right away as a beginner requires learning both climbing skills and protection skills simultaneously. It is better to learn these one at a time. Consequently, I recommend that you spend some time free soloing before you lead with gear. This way you can concentrate on developing your climbing skills without the added compexity of having to deal with the intricacies of placing gear.

-Jay

charley

Feb 4, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A HELMET> Sounds like your head needs protected more than most.

Partner tisar

Feb 4, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Consequently, I recommend that you spend some time free soloing before you lead with gear. This way you can concentrate on developing your climbing skills without the added compexity of having to deal with the intricacies of placing gear.

-Jay

Hi Jay,

in case you wanted to be sarcstic, I'd please you to enhance the level of obviousness. Your reputation on rc.com is high enough that some might take all your words for gold (I do most of the time, take that as a compliment). Even if you directly respond to a troll.

It might be the case that sometimes this will show up as a quote taken out of context...

- Daniel

pawilkes

Feb 5, 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #16 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say buy um... a climbing partner. yup, thats it. make sure they have all the gear needed to climb and have them teach you b/c if you have all the stuff and don't know how to use it, its uselss.

akclimber

Feb 5, 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #17 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Place your bets.

This dood is trolling. He asked what quickdraws were in another thread. And in a seperate one Aliens... :lol:

How would he know this "i just got a rack of hexes, and also the BD nuts" if he didn't know what the others were? :shock:

Might actually end up being the first person I click "Ignore Posts"... :x :x

el_jerko

Feb 5, 2005, 2:35 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JTV3 wrote:

"Any psychologist will tell you..."

ok, this got me to laughing, like JTV3 has ever seen a shrink. He would have to have so many sessions he wouldn't have 6,944 rude posts on the internet

But then tisar posts:

"Your reputation on rc.com is high enough..."

and I about wet my pants, that is some funny stuff! But I can't take any more, I hear a boulder problem calling my name.

nigballazz69

Feb 8, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #19 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo, Yo, Yo, what up yall?

Why all the playa hatin on dahoodboyz?

Hes a newb climba just like myself and had a simple question?

I say the next thing to get is a chalk bag homes.

You gots to get yo hands all white and scratchy to climb that fo sheezy!

Just because we be brothas tryin to climb up in this biatch dont mean all yall have to be tryin to keep us down.

Dahoodboyz, dont fooget to bring along a fatty spliff fo when yall get up on that rock. Its way better to kick back on kind buds at the top of a route trust me.

Here is a pic of me, I am also lookin fo any laidies in this spot that want to hang with a rock boy in Killa Kali.

http://sthumbnails.match.com/...09/77/19300977A.jpeg

nigballazz69

Feb 8, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #20 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Place your bets.

What up wit the attitude fool?

Just because a balla might have read in on terms of climbing he is now a troller?

Thats the difference between pimps and hos. Pimps read up before they go and get ridin but the ho just starts climbin without knowin what is up at all.

Dahoodboyz, keep up the questions bra and dont worry about the attitude here, they just hatin.

kman

Feb 8, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey nigballaz,

if you want to be taken seriously and not as a chump, I suggest you drop the "yo yo sup yall, don't be hatin the playaz" b.s. It only makes you come across as an uneducated wanna be gangsta moron that has absolutely nothing positive to add to the world. Just makes you look stupid.

Da-hoodboyz,

just learn the basics and get them down to a "t". And then gradually build up your knowledge from there. Learn to walk before you try to run.

dahood_boyz

Feb 9, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i guess that would be the momma's way of climbing...but you know i guess you gotta just get out there and try it, thats what the old timers did right? they didnt go to no gym and act all cool because the can grab onto some cheezy little colored holds...no way man, they wenst out and climbed them big white mountains...

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 9, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

dude... it took me over a dozen times climbing to buy a harness, and i had been climbing for a couple YEARS (not weeks) before i even purchased a stopper. Put your meager supply of trad gear in the back of your closet for a little bit, and gain some experience. Its extremely ugly to see a noob trying to trad climb when he moves past each placement and it falls out. Dont end up in next years accidents in NA book, that wouldnt be fun.

Work your way through the grades, and then when you feel completely comfortable climbing, start worrying about basic toprope and rappell anchors. then, if u wish, work on leading sport, following trad, and then eventually, leading trad. It is true that you dont need to be able to sportclimb before you start worrying about placing gear, but it definatly helps to understand the basic setup, and it starts developing your lead head.

take things slowly, and climbing could turn out to be a true passion for you. good luck, and happy climbing.

dahood_boyz

Feb 9, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SLOW?! Homes, this sh*t sposed to give you a big adrenaline rush. ..slow style??? holy hell, i just tryint to get another rush then the rush from i get on these streets....its all about nature for this brother...

timd

Feb 9, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #25 of 38 (4593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a helmet, a big rock hits you on the bare head and the only way you'll be enjoying nature is from 6 feet under!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook