RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

carabiner96

Mar 9, 2007, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Traveling Alone
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey All,

So it looks as though I'm headed to Orlando this summer for the Ex-Games. I'll be going down by myself, knowing no there - my first time traveling alone.

I've been thinking about just meeting up with some people from the adaptiveclimbersorganization.com and sharing rooms to save some dough.

Any of you adventerous girls have advice or stories from solo journeys?

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Mar 9, 2007, 10:22 PM)

sdkbcassidy

Mar 9, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I still remember my first time traveling alone - it was to Orlando, strangely enough. I worked down there for 3 months, stayed in a hotel right across from Universal Studios. I had a good time, but worked my ass off. Didn’t care for Orlando very much, particularly when I was in a suit and every one else was vacationing. My advice from that trip? When a client comes to visit, don’t let him walk you to your room. He’s likely looking for more than just making sure you get to your room safely. Boy, was I naïve about that one.

Fast forward and I’ve traveled pretty much every week the last 10 years. Lots of good stories – some scary, most funny. My advice for your travels?

- Don’t book the last flight of the day. Then, if your flight gets cancelled, you’ll have another option.
- If you do end up with travel problems, go to another gate, be very nice and ask them to help you. Also, the phone is a good option. Don’t get in the service line – worst choice you could make.
- If you are renting a car, map out your hotel and other key places ahead of time. Orlando is visitor friendly, so easy to get around. You can get cabs fairly easily so no worries booking those ahead of time.
- If you can stay with people from an organization, that’s a great option. Then, you’ll already know some people there. If you can get there a day early to acclimate, that would be good, too. Particularly if there is some small function you can join to get to know a few people. I’ve always found that once I’ve met a few folks, I’m much more comfortable.
- Be friendly and get to know as many people as you can. The more flexible you can be about who you can hang out with and have fun with, the happier you will be.
- If you have trouble sleeping with noise in the hotel (or a snoring roommate), crank up the fan in the room. It drowns out just about everything.
- Always engage every lock in your hotel room. I have a friend who spent a few years working with a hotel chain. He claims he can break into any hotel room in less than 10 seconds, no key necessary.
- Trust your instincts – most people are great, but there are some really weird people out there.

Above all, don’t plan too much, just take it all in. I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Enjoy!

climbingbetty22

Mar 9, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sdkbcassidy] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done some traveling alone in my time.

What sdkbcassidy said about trusting your instincts is very importnat. DOn't be paranoid, but don't be naieve about people or their real motivations either. Unfortunately this lesson is only trully learned with time, experience and keen observation.

My biggest thing about travelling alone though is to be real frugal about what you pack. When you are by yourself, trying to lug around two carry-on bags and two huge checked bags SUX! Slim down however you can. Carry on whatever you can, but just remember that what you carry on will become a tumor-like growth for you entire journey. If you use the restroom, you take it with you. If you got to run to the other side of the airport, you've got to lug it with you. SO the moral of the story is be very careful about what you decided you're going to take with you!!

bizarrodrinker

Mar 9, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingbetty22] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Male opinion here. Carry on your rock shoes...just in case ya know. That would suck to try and climb in sneakers or having to break in new shoes.

clausti

Mar 9, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Hey All,

So it looks as though I'm headed to Orlando this summer for the Ex-Games. I'll be going down by myself, knowing no there - my first time traveling alone.

I've been thinking about just meeting up with some people from the aca.org and sharing rooms to save some dough.

Any of you adventerous girls have advice or stories from solo journeys?

a few questions.... what, exactly are going to the x games for? just to spectate?

what is the aca.org? i googled it and got a prison workers thing.

traveling alone can be really scary, but there are things that you can do to make it less scary.

1. try not to stop for gas in the middle of no where in the middle of the night. I personally dont stop for gas after 10 pm when i'm somewhere i'm not familiar with. This doesnt restrict you too much, since you can easily drive for another 4 or 5 hours after your last gas stop. Also, if you are going to stop for gas after dark, big ass truckstops are your friend. they are usually really well lit, covered, and have security cameras all over the place. I dont know about farther north, but def from WV southward, "Pilot" travel stations are good for this.

2. do not stop at rinky dink rest stops in the dark. Some rest stops are better lit than others, and some are specifically patrolled. state welcome centers are your friend, because they are always nice and often frequented by state troopers.

3. at the risk of giving an unnecc warning, do not carry drugs or booze. the same contraband is availible everywhere and it is *really*, *really* not worth it to get stopped in the south with alchohol if you are underage.

4. it is going to take you aproximately for ever to drive from maine to florida. and you're gonna be burning a lot of gas. you will be astonished how much better gas milage you get at 70 than 80, at 65 than 70. cruise control and not speeding will save you a ton of money.

5. whatever you do, dont speed in virginia. among other things, if you are clocked going faster than 80, no matter what the speed limit is, they will write you a reckless driving ticket. been there, done that, took the driver education course to get it dropped.

6. dont speed through tunnels. you dont know what the weather is like on the other side, and you might as well be a sitting duck if a cop hasnt met his quota for speeding tix for this month.

7. dont ever tell anyone on the road that you're alone. you can be up front with your aca pals or x game organizers if you're competing or whatever, but under no circumstances at a gas station or rest stop tell people you're alone. if someone asks, lie. and lie male.

8. act like you are the world's biggest badass and ppl can seriously fuck off. biggest not-secret in going places you shouldn't be or are scared of- act like you know exactly what you are doing and very rarely will ppl fuck with you.

9. if you are competing, ask the organizers to set you up with a roomate for the duration. this will be the easiest, safest way to save dough and also not be lonely at night.

10. DUH dont walk sketchy places alone at night. orlando is a big city, with all that comes with that.

11. some beaches are illegal to be on after dark. that ticket isn't worth the fun

12. dont fuck with the plants on the dunes. that ticket isnt worth it either.

i think that's it. if you have any specific questions, PM, IM me or post them here. I've traveled alone a LOT in the places you're going to be driving.

iamthewallress

Mar 9, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since it sounds like you're not looking to camp/bivy, you shouldn't have much more to worry about than any gal living on her own in the city.

You can make arrangements to call or e-mail to check in with friends or family, and use your credit card, just so you're more findable if finding needs to happen.

Personally, I've had a better time when I travel by myself and have arranged for my own accommodations (even if that means I drive my own truck so that I can sleep in it) than I've had when I've met up with random strangers. Even when they're great people, and they often are, my trip has suffered when I've had to deal with 5 strangers adgendas in addition to my own. If I'm staying by myself, I can still hang out with them, but I also have a way of getting my own space if I need it.

If you're getting a hotel room, you don't have much to worry about bivy-wise. If you're bivying, be sure to do it where your cell phone works, and have an emergency # ready to go, if you're worried about midnight visitors.

I keep my bivies secret from nearly everyone. If I'm getting in the back of my truck, I make sure no one sees me do it.

aerili

Mar 9, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I traveled alone to Washington state in 2003 for Labor Day weekend to see a concert at The Gorge Ampitheatre when my travel buddy bailed at the last minute on me (yeah, we're not friends anymore Crazy). My boyfriend at the time wouldn't go with me either (totally--he's still a loser as far as I know).

But it was cool; however, I had the benefit of knowing the area, having gone there previously for the same concert. I still had to travel 3 hours from Seattle, though, and I stayed alone in a small town halfway between. When I wasn't rocking out, I toured the town where I was staying on my own (Roslyn, WA--location of my favorite TV show of all time and hence why I wanted to see landmarks). I made friends with another single woman there the first night of the concert and we met each other second night too.

It's all good, just make sure you're always aware of your surroundings, yadda yadda, you've heard it all and it's true.

Don't know what aca.org is, but if you can crash with another female(s) I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe just keep your wallet with you when you're sleeping. Smile

thomasribiere

Mar 9, 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

During all my trips in the USA, I seldom met single girls. The last one I met was awesome, it was in Maple Canyon. She was hooking with anyone (She met camhead at Indian creek a few weeks before She met me in Maple) to climb. She was sllepig alone in her van at the crag. She didn't seem to be paranoid at all. I met Anna from SLC, at Maple as well. Not really traveling alone though, just commuting between SLC and the crags around.
Just be sure of what you want and what you don't want. Just don't put yurself in a position where you could be weakened (don't drink if you are the only girl with many guys, don't accept help from strangers...).
I suppose it would be easier at the crags than elsewhere, even if climbers are not all angels. As a single guy I would not miss an opportunity to meet a single pretty girl. Just keep that in mind. Even if guys are generally not mean.

lisamariewillbe

Mar 10, 2007, 4:42 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend named paige who would bring you to the wind tunnel (indoor skydiving) Shes hella cool and fun to hang out with. Maybe you can get her to climb Laugh

obsessed

Mar 12, 2007, 6:10 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last summer I ventured to France by myself. It was an amazing trip and very rewarding. I had never been before and don't speak french so it was an adventure. I went to climb at Fontainebleau and accomplished everything I wanted to, which meant hitchhiking to the boulders...alone. The people in France are amazing and very friendly. I hope you have the same experience.

Traveling alone shouldn't be intimidating, but it depends on the person. As the other posts stated, most importantly follow your instincts.

Pack light so you don't need to struggle with luggage. I prefer a backpack so my hands are free.

Don't tell strangers you are traveling alone. You can always say you are waiting for your husband/boyfriend to come out of the washroom...or something to that affect. Not to say that you are in danger but there is no reason for anyone to know you are alone. I had my wedding band on most of the time so that may have warded off unwanted advances Blush

If you go out at night alone, always know that you can get back to where you are sleeping. For example I ended up wandering around Paris my first night (because I was so pumped to be there) and didn't realize the subway was going to stop running...luckily I got a train back before it did.

Just have common sense and have fun!

lmcwil

Mar 12, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obsessed] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, traveling alone can be a bit scary the first time, but once you've done it several times it gets to be no big deal. I personally favor staying in youth hostels over hotels, b/c it's a lot cheaper and generally you can find some ppl to hang out with. You don't have to be a member of an organization or anything, and most hostels have female-only dorm rooms that are cheaper than single rooms. you almost always have to at least share a bathroom with other folks.

Depending on where I am, if I feel nervous by myself sometimes I will latch onto another person. Like when I went to London by myself, the first day I hung out w/ a girl I met on the plane. Then when I was in New Orleans (scariest place i've ever been, by FAR), I ended up hanging out w/ a German tourist I met at a jazz club and we had dinner and walked around together. I think he felt safer being w/ me, too.

Another very basic method is to follow along a group of people if you're walking around a city at night. That way, you're still doing whatever you want, but to a stranger, it appears you're with a group. When they head off to somewhere you're not interested in, just latch onto another group.

As far as picking someone "safe" to latch onto, just go w/ your instincts. your intuition will pick up on things you might not consciously notice.

aja

Mar 15, 2007, 1:38 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent advice Clausti,

I'm too am getting ready to head out on a 16 day romp from Texas to Red Rocks, then over to the Creek in UT and back through Colorado.

I have partners at each location to climb with which is nice!

Just the drive time from Texas to Vegas is gonna be a real doozy.

I've done several roadies, but this one will be solo. Which is good to clear the head.

I will definitely take your advice on the speed limit/cruise control. I always use that thing! And not stopping at those rinky-dink hole in the wall gas stations, freaking twilight zone! Oh, and acting like a total bad-arss. I was thinking about picking up one of those chain wallets to display on the hip, I'm always a bit intimidated when I see chicks sporting those...mmmkay.Sly

Peace,
Andrea'

e_free

Mar 16, 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what kind of tips you want, so I offer the "safety" ones. After living as a local in a tourist mecca (hawaii), and traveling like a nomad in the continental US, here's my advice:

See if you have a friend of a friend in that area. You can hang out, eat, and maybe even stay at their house if you need to. Super helpful in case of bizarre and unexpected emergencies.

Pack everything in carry-on bags only. You won't have to worry about your checked bag taking another flight without you, or someone else taking your bag.

Be kind, patient, and flexible. This will get you a lot farther than rude, impatient, pissiness with those who are able to help you with your flight, car, hotel, or whatever. It will come back to you when you need it, trust me.

Act like an old hand. Looking/acting like a tourist is a good way to pay more for everything, and get ripped off. Also, shop where the locals shop... its cheaper.

Never ever say that you are travelling alone. Always act like you've got someone waiting for you. If a guy asks you if you have a boyfriend, say yes. No neediness.

Be suspicious of anyone (especially attractive people of the opposite gender) who offera you a secret deal, or are other wise TOO interested in "helping" you. If you think someone might have the wrong idea, be direct and even rude. It beats being stalked or dead.

If you share a room, keep all valuables, ID, etc. inaccessible to anyone who might try to pilfer them in the night (including the roomie), and consider your options if you have to get out in a hurry. Don't trust anyone you don't know with something you aren't willing to lose.

Use your card in public, rather than cash. If stolen, the card can be replaced, cash can't. Keep a small stash of emergency cash hidden for this purpose.

After a certain time, the tourists go to bed, and the weirdos come out. A friendly place in the day becomes a dangerous place at night. Figure out what time that is, and don't go walking alone after it.

Know where you are and how to get to where you are going without a map.

Carry pepper spray, cell phone, and calling card (for when your cell doesn't work) on you when you go out. Program your hotel and the numbers of the people you're staying with into your phone.

Above all - if your intuition says, "I don't know about that," or if someone makes you feel uncomfortable but you don't know why, or if you're wondering whether something is a bad idea - listen. You are probably right.

(This post was edited by e_free on Mar 16, 2007, 11:11 PM)

htotsu

Mar 17, 2007, 7:49 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [e_free] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A note on pepper spray - there are places where it isn't legal to carry, so do your homework and find out in advance.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 27, 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti's tips are spot on, and this one regarding sleeping issue due to noise:
In reply to:
- If you have trouble sleeping with noise in the hotel (or a snoring roommate), crank up the fan in the room. It drowns out just about everything.
I unplug the coax input for the cable to the TV to get the white noise, and adjust the volume to the perfect level to drown out unwanted noise.

Above all... Don't put yourself into any situations that you wouldn't want a little sister, niece, or a daughter in.

rmsusa

Mar 27, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrradam] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you have trouble sleeping with noise in the hotel (or a snoring roommate), crank up the fan in the room. It drowns out just about everything.

I unplug the coax input for the cable to the TV to get the white noise, and adjust the volume to the perfect level to drown out unwanted noise.

I use foam earplugs. Subtracting noise works better than adding noise. You can buy them in the supermarket. I have 3 or 4 pairs in my travel kit.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 27, 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Traveling Alone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
If you have trouble sleeping with noise in the hotel (or a snoring roommate), crank up the fan in the room. It drowns out just about everything.

I use foam earplugs. Subtracting noise works better than adding noise. You can buy them in the supermarket. I have 3 or 4 pairs in my travel kit.
I can get for for free at work by the box of 100... But they start to hurt my ears after just an hour or two.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook