Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
DON'T STEAL PEOPLE'S ROUTE INFO!!!!!!!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 20, 2001, 8:31 AM
Post #1 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

DON'T STEAL PEOPLE'S ROUTE INFO!!!!!!!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a problem here sometimes. I PM them and ask why they did it, this usually makes them feel guilty and not do it again.

If they continue, I suggest posting their name in a public Forum as a Route Thief. I have moved misplaced stuff, but I uncheck the 'Overwrite.....' box so the original enterer still gets credit. If a Section or Route is edited to add information or even correct typos, the editer will get credit for the Route, so get it right the first time.

~Adam

climb512

Nov 20, 2001, 3:37 PM
Post #2 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

DON'T STEAL PEOPLE'S ROUTE INFO!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why not set it up so that the state manager has to see if the changes are appropriate before someone can edit others work. i know it was done to me as well, they not only edited, but removed beta i had placed. so it seems to be an ongoing problem. have the edits locked out by the area manager and have the user email the beta and the manager puts it on the site, with the correct users name.

ratstar

Nov 20, 2001, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always lock it cause I make sure I know every thing about my sections.

Just lock it all the time.

atg200

Nov 20, 2001, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just make sure you write decent beta if you lock anything. Lots of place *cough* gunks *cough* people are just writing the name of the route and the rating with no description, or worse writing a bad description. Take some time to write decent beta-3 good entries is better than 20 bad ones.

meadors

Nov 20, 2001, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in reading some peoples descriptions and comments, they sometimes dont know what their talking about or give the wrong impression of a place. opinions are relative, of course. and that is what should get removed or changed. so if someone says a place is not great climbing and my friends and i have fun there -im changing out that opinion. it shouldnt be there.

eclarke98

Nov 20, 2001, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey fulltilt, since you're talking about me you should be careful about what you say, since in the 10 or so routes of yours I edited I added info to each of them, or removed info that was in the wrong place, then on top of that I added about 55 new routes to those same areas. If I see a route that I can add some info to then I could care less who was the first person to list it, you don't own any routes and no one can steal them from you. Take it easy man, you should be happy that people are going in and making this site better.

rck_climber

Nov 20, 2001, 9:25 PM
Post #7 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I've quite a few routes, I see this problem from time to time. I just accept that it happens and am okay with it as long as it's a quality change that's made. Yeah it still bugs me, but if it's getting better info out, then so be it. But when people are changing spelling or something small like that to claim a route (either on purpose or by accident), that pisses me off.

Whenever possible, I'll modify sections and choose not to overwrite their name with mine as the one who modified it.

So far it's not been that big of a problem in my state, but I've got great guys working with me and we all work together for the greater good, so it's not too bad.

Mick

andy_lemon

Nov 20, 2001, 9:37 PM
Post #8 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey... you guys, its not like someone can take credit for your edits. You see, you still get points for adding or editing routes plus it adds on to your total (area, section, route) info added on your profile. So we will always know that your doing work whether your name is on a certain route or not.

Andy

Partner sauron

Nov 20, 2001, 11:10 PM
Post #9 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Several times I've seen people say "... and choose not to overwrite their name with mine as the one who modified it." - or words to that effect. Unless I'm missing something, it seems this option is only available for section owners/managers - I just tried editing a route I added the other day, and I get no option to do that.. Or am I missing something?

rck_climber

Nov 20, 2001, 11:39 PM
Post #10 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, that's just an option on Areas, not for Sections or Routes.

Mick

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 21, 2001, 1:49 AM
Post #11 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Think about this before you "selfishly" lock it...

Did "you" reorganize the routes from left to right instead of the default alphabetically ??? Is another book going to come out ??? Did you include everything on the cover page ??? i.e. directions, camping, discriptions of how the Area is layed out.

I know that only a few organize the Routes from left to right, so for you to lock something just to keep the credit is selfcemtered. If someone can add more information, they should be able to. Do not deny users of this site the best information due to your need to get credit.

I will gladly give all the credit for the over 600 Areas, Sections, and Routes that I have entered for more people to get involved with doing this, and adding info.

~Adam
p.s. I hope people will now 'unlock' Areas that they've locked.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 21, 2001, 6:15 AM
Post #12 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't refering to you, I was refering to ratstar... He said he always locks his stuff. Calm down buddy.

~Adam

compclimber

Nov 21, 2001, 7:22 AM
Post #13 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well after seeing this go on for a while I figured I would add my oponion too.

I think that if a person has better info than you then they should update it and fix it. I agree with rrrADAM if you arent going to "Order" the routes and make them be totally bombproof with beta then leave the route open. If somone wants to steal your credit for the route then let them, they are obviously a coward if all they do is put a space in something or add a period. But if that is what they want to do then so be it. I am currently working on Rifle Colorado becuase the person who entered the routes and areas put in bad beta. So I think that if you can offer something better than the person who added the route than so be it. If you notice that a person has "stolen" a route from you then contact them and tell them that it was not appreciated and that you (and most users of this site) do not agree with what they are doing.

andy_lemon

Nov 21, 2001, 11:44 PM
Post #14 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the route sections are here (in my opinion) for 3 reasons:

1) to give people from Kentucky an idea of how big an area in Colorado is (just an example)

2) to have the name of the route there, so people can click "assent". That way they don't have to type it out themselves and put up the info. Then it gets stored in the database for assents.

3) As a guidebook... this only works if; the routes are ordered right to left with a topo of somesort posted.

I appreciate the routes section and plan on making a topo for a crag here in Indiana.

Andy

micahmcguire

Jul 30, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #15 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my god what a retarted spat! keep it up! its hilareous!!

jmlangford

Jul 30, 2002, 4:23 AM
Post #16 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep it up? It has been dead since November until you dredged it up again! You have been influenced by the Great One(polarwid). He is famous for dredging up old posts.

arsenalcrater

Jul 30, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #17 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, I got scared on this one!!! Sorry, I'm not the one who stole your info, but if you want to steal mine, please do so!!! I'm too lazy, for the most part, to even remember what the hell I aided, free climbed or bouldered...except for O'Leary's Peak...you stay away from that one!!! .... haha...your more then welcome to them....I'm just kidding....I'll give you mucho info on O'Leary's. I'm heading out on a six day river trip tomorrow....going to scope out some Grand Canyon rock!!!

climbinganne

Jul 30, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #18 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does any one else smell agenda?

barney_89012

Jul 30, 2002, 5:48 AM
Post #19 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who cares

krustyklimber

Jul 30, 2002, 6:49 AM
Post #20 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Sauron, I don't know of a way not to "steal credit", but whenever I do I always PM the person to let them know they need to "steal it" back...
When I began to read this thread I thought I may have been the "thief"!?!

Not this time!

Jeff

Partner matt

Jul 31, 2002, 2:01 PM
Post #21 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha

Same here Jeff! I try to do the same, where if I absolutely have no choice but to have my name written to it, then I'll send a PM telling the real "owner", and letting them feel free to take it back.

Climb on....and for those of you who are locking their posts selfishly, please unlock them. Other people can add more beta, and besides, they're really not yours in the first place. God created them, so what should you really care? You'll still get credit in your profile and points added to your rating.

~Matt

k9rocko

Aug 1, 2002, 4:24 AM
Post #22 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have edited some of the areas mainly due to the fact I could not get there on the description alone. That is what I assume a description should do. I really don't need credit for this type of edit, and don't want the original poster feeling jilted..... of course some people feel jilted easier than others.

The reality about having a route database service is that a climber should be able to find a route, and copy the info..... and walk right up to the crag.

Otherwise, what's the purpose if everyone has to buy the book. I sure wouldn't want you to walk up to the wall and climb the 5.10x when you had read my description and thought it was a 5.9+.... Maybe you said third climb from the left... but now someone added another route, and is should be the fourth climb from the left.

Maybe a new field 'route submitted by' and 'last edited' would fix that problem. I also think FA has a place in the route database. The folks who put up great routes deserve the recognition.

I corrected a few routes / and added a little info on some others... then I realized I had 'stolen' the route edit..... I don't like it anymore than you do.

Gabe

timpanogos

Aug 1, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #23 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I have a question - I added a few routes, but purposely left the beta very wanting - in fact I copied the beta right out of the guide book (noting this in the beta) - I assumed the guide books was purposefully weak on beta to keep on-site ratings valid.

I know as a beginner, heading up the 5.6/7 multi-pitch trads that I know very little about sure adds a dimension of excitment (and growing in skill) to my experience.

Might be dumb, but I added them so I could put them in my ascended list - so others here would have a feel for where I'm at when I post with questions or answers.

Change mine all you want - and if detailed beta is prefered, I'll add more.

jmlangford

Aug 1, 2002, 5:08 AM
Post #24 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim, that is fine to add skeleton info from guidebooks. I have done that so someone might see it in the dbase, say "I climbed that route" and add their beta to it. It makes it easier to do that if they are too lazy to add the route themelves. If you have climbed the route, put your first-hand beta inthe dbase. When I add out of a guidebook, 99% of the time I am familiar with the route but I haven't necessarily climbed it. I do not put protection in unless they are bolts I can actually see, then I just put "bolts" down in the dbase.

duskerhu

Aug 1, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #25 of 26 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to keep this stupid as H3LL post going, but in all reality,,,

Who Really Cares WHO edits the description for a particlular route??? If you have better beta than whats currently described, then ADD IT!

Is everyone here really that petty that... "Oh HEY! I was the first one to describe that route in the data base on RC.com...

Come on people!!!

and of course,

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb On!

duskerhu

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register