Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Poor technique and recovering from climbing.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

timo85

Feb 12, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Poor technique and recovering from climbing.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone, my first post to the board!

So as I've only recently started climbing I'm really really keen on climbing whenever wherever I can. This has resulted me climbing with the zeal and technique of a rabid ape, that is to say, not so well. Basicly I've only done toproping and some bouldering, and man I suck at both of them :lol: !

So now my body's starting to break down on me, my back and arms ache like hell from the strain, and I simply can't figure how to stretch the pain out. What kind of stretches do you do after and before the climb?

Also, if you have any special exercises you do to improve your overall climbing technique, I would be really interested to know. The only thing I've done is to climb a route that has real good handholds, lots of big jugs and stuff, but poor footholds. So then I've tried to pay special attention to placing my feet and such, but still every damn time I climb the route my arms are totally pumped when I get to the top -> I use my arms too much pulling me up rather than pushing with feet.

I must apoloqise the messy lanquage, but it has been so long when I last wrote something in english. Thanks for everyone in advance.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 12, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Re: Poor technique and recovering from climbing. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me be the first to say welcome. Your post is a very common one and I will give you some advice that will undoubtedly be repeated several times.

1. First of all the best way to get better is to CLIMB and CLIMB some more. You will start to develop better technique.

2. Dont' overdo it. Pain is you body's way of telling you to slow down and recover. Force x rest =strength

3. Watch women climb. They tend to develop better technique because men rely on their strength more and usually climb like apes in the beginning.

4. Be patient and Have FUN!

Josh

jono

Feb 12, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont stretch too much, but what i do is a few warm up climbs taking it easy. technique is just something you will learn over time.

batman

Feb 13, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you need to cut back a little bit and build up gradually so you dont injure yourself. Good luck, time will make you better and just remember that you cant be doing a 5.7 your first time and then expect to be doing 5.12's the next.

cragb

Feb 13, 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep climbing, facilitate recovery by eating healthy(veggies, fruits, protein....), self-massage(lame but effective.), yoga, deep breathing, hot water baths etc...... all good men come to the aid of the party

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook