RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

bilias

Feb 16, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Question for Salt Lake area climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone,
I am graduating from college in a few months and possibly moving to Draper, UT to pursue a career opportunity. I know the climbing and skiing opportunities are next to endless, and I am very thrilled about this.
However, I have a couple non-climbing questions for anyone with the time to answer them.

Is commuting in the Salt Lake City area a problem? From what I've seen, downtown SLC apartments are a lot cheaper than the ones in Draper and Sandy, so I'm thinking about checking those out first.

How is the cost of living if you can compare it to anywhere else you've lived?

Is there anything else I should be aware of as far as living expenses and living locations?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

scratchnclaw

Feb 16, 2005, 5:20 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Re: Question for Salt Lake area climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Friend,

I would recommend downtown living. I used to live in Sandy and it was allright, but took a downtown apartment and then a house near Liberty Park and would never go back to the South valley suburbs. Commutes are not too bad, we have rush hour like any place else, but it seems to move along ok - then again, I'm a night shift worker and don't have to spend much time in it.

Hope that helps - PM me if you want anything more specific.

mtngrl

Feb 16, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Blias-check your email sent you a PM. =)

brianinslc

Feb 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am graduating from college in a few months and possibly moving to Draper, UT to pursue a career opportunity.

One thing you might want to consider, is that Draper/Sandy might be a bunch closer to recreation in the canyons. Downtown will be a bit of a drive. Before you commit, you might drive the commute from downtown to see how psyched you be and what amount of time you'd like to spend in the car each day, each way.

Also, roomy's are an option (folks are always looking for roommates, especially near the canyons during ski season). Climbing gym preference and location might be something to consider. Front v Rockreation. Front is kinda closer to downtown, Rockreation on around 3900 S and 2000 east.

Just depends mostly on where you like to hang out and what you'll mostly be doing after work (climbing or town social type stuff. etc). And how much you mind or don't mind a commute.

Good luck!

Brian in SLC

tavs

Feb 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Commute--not bad. There is somewhat of a "rush hour" and you'll hear lots of talk on the news and radio about the traffic, but honestly, for me, coming from living in Boston and then DC, driving around SLC kinda feels like driving in a small rural town :) I have a friend who commutes from SLC to the Draper area and says it's not too bad, you're going in the opposite direction of the bulk of rush hour traffic, so that's a bonus. As far as living down there to be closer to American Fork, I'd say it's not worth it. Even from downtown or the university area of SLC, the drive to AF is only 40-45 minutes.

Cost of living--again, my previous experiences were with Boston and DC, so cost of living here seems WAY CHEAP. In general, depending on your field of work, wages can be lower than other places, but other costs are much lower as well. My boyfriend and I are renting a two bedroom house (complete with garage, basement, yard) for $750/month, just to give you some reference.

Areas to look at for living--Sugar House is definitely a good one, and puts you at easy access to the freeways; the Avenues and University area are also really nice (though they are a bit further north in the city, so a bit further away).

granitegod

Feb 16, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, commuting from Draper to Downtown on a daily basis, would be, in my opinion, heinous. But if you're from L.A., Chicago, Denver, New York....or most other places...it wouldn't be that bad. And Light Rail goes from Sandy (just north of Draper) to Downtown in 30 min. Drink your coffee, listen to mp3s and read the paper!

That being said....Draper is nice, if you have a family and like suburban living. Its proximity to Lone Peak, the Goddess of the Wasatch, makes it appealing. High concentration of Mormons.

That being said, Downtown living in SLC is nice. Lower concentration of Mormons, and the only place in the state other than Park City where "Liberal" is not a bad word.

Another area to consider, to split the differences, in my opinion, would be the East Millcreek/Holladay areas. Super close to the Canyons, and a little closer to downtown and University of Utah.

tenesmus

Feb 17, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We spent a year looking for neighborhoods we liked and could afford. Then, one day... we found it: 3 minutes from climbing in lcc and bcc, 15 min from the skiing, 4 min from the freeway and about 15 from sugarhouse/downtown.

CottonwoodHeigths4life!!!

atg200

Feb 17, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i just bought a house in cottonwood heights and i like the area. there are some good bars(hog's wallow, cotton bottom, canyon inn, porcupine), absurdly easy access to the canyons, and getting downtown isn't bad. another bonus is the cottonwood heights rec center - works out to be a really cheap membership for weights, racketball, pools, etc.

the traffic is nonexistant compared to any other major city in the country, and it is really cheap for a big city as well. the house i bought would have cost easily double the price in denver.

treyfrancisclimbs

Feb 17, 2005, 1:19 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Orem and commute to Draper to work every day. Now that the freeway has been expanded there is virtually no traffic. It takes me 25 minutes to get there on a bad day. I have lived in Salt Lake valley and I personally enjoy Orem better. The gym down in Utah county is owned by Jeff Pedersen who developed most of A.F. canyon and can be found climbing and giving advice and tips there quite often. There is also a huge amount of development going on in the canyons on the south end of Utah county which will be coming out in a new guide book soon. Contrary to popular belief, the mormons usually aren't any more judgemental than any other highly concentrated area of devout religious people. I am one of them and I have friends who drink, smoke, do drugs, have sex before marriage, and even swear, and I still think they are good people. Living in Utah rocks, and you will find the majority of people here are tolerant of others lifestyles and quite friendly if you have the same attitude. Basically you can't go wrong anywhere on the Wasatch front, as long as you don't go north of Salt Lake. That commute is like kicking yourself in the nuts on a daily basis.

Trey

bilias

Feb 17, 2005, 6:46 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help and advice!
I'm really hoping I'll be able to move to Utah. My other options keep me here in the Twin Cities, or else in the center of Indiana.
I'm going to check out the downtown area first. Sounds like more fun, and I'll probably want to be enjoying the night life since I'm one of those young punks.
Also, If I get this job, I'll need to be at work by 5 a.m. so hopefully I can beat the front end of rush hour.

Wow, I'm excited, better stop rambling.

Anyway, thanks again. Reggie

scott7477

Feb 22, 2005, 5:37 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you leave your place anytime before 7 AM, you've got guaranteed freeway speeds in any direction. You might want to check out the western part of Sandy city...quite a few older homes and some apts...

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook