Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Acadia camping
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

banff

Feb 21, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #1 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Acadia camping  (North_America: United_States: Maine: Down_East: Acadia_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Starting to plan a 4th of July road trip and I'm looking for some feedback. I've done many a road trip "Downeast," but what I'm looking for is some out of the way, nice view, primitive, campsites. Now granted she wants showers but that can be swayed. Do you think I should go with Blackwoods or some of the other NPS type camping? Or who has a better more backwoods idea?

I know the Ellsworth and Lubec areas, but I'm just curious to others shedding a little light on those secret spots. We'll be in a truck so some backpacking will be limited but I'm in for any suggestions.

I appreciate any info and willing to share campsites around that time.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 22, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Re: Acadia camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, there is no backcountry camping allowed in Acadia. There are two campgrounds in the park, Blackwoods and some other one which I forget the name of. Neither of them have showers, I believe. There are a couple decent ones right outside of the park, Mt. Desert campground being the best. They all have showers, but you will pay more. Have fun!

Josh

zozo

Feb 22, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #3 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah there is no backcountry camping in the park. If you want to get alittle more isolated look into taking the mail boat out to Isle Au Haut.

naitch

Feb 22, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #4 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second hat blueeyedclimber said about Mt. Desert Campground. Some of the other you are right on top of each other, This one is a bit more spread out, though not still anything close to wilderness camping. They have wonderful bathrooms and showers (pay) and if you get a Soames Sound front site, nice water views also.

I've been around at a number of places on the island but this to me is by far and away the best. It's not as close to some of the climbing areas but it's smack dab in the middle of the island. The free Explorer bus stops there so you ca hope on it and get to any of the climbing areas.

marsenault

Feb 22, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #5 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want great primitive campsites, go to Cutler (right on Rt. 191 between Cutler and Lubec). The Bold Coast trails have 3 really incredible campsites at the south end of the Unit (very primitive- no fires, can privies, jump in the ocean for a shower, there are a few streams to get water in the vicinity of the campsites, but you have to look for them). It's about a 4-5 mile hike to the sites from the parking lot along the coastal trail. There is great bouldering all along the coast there. The state of maine parks and land website ought to have more information and a trail map. There really isn't a more scenic place in all of downeast maine. It's becoming more and more popular, so I'd get there early on if you want to get the best sites, especially 4th of July. But it won;t be nearly as crowded as MDI, maybe a dozen or two cars in the parking lot. Trust me, this place is awesome.

marsenault

Feb 22, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few other good spots downeast:
Rocky Lake (north of Machias) has drive in tentsites (primitive-fire pit, privy, picnic table). You can swim or fish in the lake, but it's a good ways from MDI and not as scenic as Cutler.
Schodic Mtn and Donnell Pond have drive in primitive sites as well, this is much closer to MDI, but you still won;t have the crowds, There is good hiking up Schoodic.
Parks Pond campground in Clifton has showers and all that good stuff, not to mention you're surrounded by all the Clifton climbing areas (Big Chick, Eagles, Parks, and Fletchers) plus you're just a hop-skip-and a jump from MDI

greenmachineman7

Feb 22, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're looking to get away from other people on the 4th of july weekend, stay the hell away from ellsworth and MDI. Route 1, interstate 95, and route 3 as well. Downeast is one of those places where theres only one way to get there from anywhere else, and you should avoid them on 4th of july.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 22, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you're looking to get away from other people on the 4th of july weekend, stay the hell away from ellsworth and MDI. Route 1, interstate 95, and route 3 as well. Downeast is one of those places where theres only one way to get there from anywhere else, and you should avoid them on 4th of july.

Are you trying to scare away tourists? Although I tend to agree with you, it is a very busy time to go, there is good advice above.

Josh

dorkmaster

Feb 22, 2005, 6:16 PM
Post #9 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're looking at going to Clifton I would also suggest the Parks Pond Campground
it has hookups for RVs and tent sites as well
if you want, you can ask for one of the sites way the heck out in the woods for that wilderness feel

i've only camped at acadia once because it's not that far of a drive for me, and we stayed at the MDI Campground place that others mentioned...it was okay from what I remember (I havent been there for several years)

jimdavis

Feb 23, 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #10 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You WANT to climb in Acadia on July 4th...it's a gumby fest down there on the 4th.

Read this for starters...
http://www.neclimbs.com/...m=1089054358;start0=

The "locals" in the hair rescue are two experienced guides down in Acadia, who could have had that guy out in a minute or less. One of them is a very close friend of mine, this story still gets him worked up...

Enjoy,
Jim

dorkmaster

Feb 23, 2005, 5:25 PM
Post #11 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one time I was climbing with a local guide...alden (sorry, I can't remember his last name)...and he was telling me about how he dove off of that rock pillar thing at Otter, freaking out everyone at the top of the cliff... :lol:

jimdavis

Feb 23, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #12 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alden Strong, Acadia Mountain Guides. Not sure if he's still with them.

That does sound like him though. Haha!

Cheers,
Jim

ambler

Feb 23, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to agree that Acadia on the 4th of July is for people who love crowds. The layout of the island does not handle traffic very well, and it's bound to be heavy. Same could be said of the mass toproping scene at Otter Cliffs.

You might find it worthwhile to browse through Green's Rock Climbing New England to learn about some of the other crags in this region. Apart from Acadia, Maine tends not to have very high climber densities.

marsenault

Feb 23, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You WANT to climb in Acadia on July 4th...it's a gumby fest down there on the 4th.

Read this for starters...
http://www.neclimbs.com/...m=1089054358;start0=

The "locals" in the hair rescue are two experienced guides down in Acadia, who could have had that guy out in a minute or less. One of them is a very close friend of mine, this story still gets him worked up...

Enjoy,
Jim

Yep, sounds like Acadia. I've always said there's a Darwin award waiting for someone at Otter

banff

Feb 23, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #15 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, that's what I remember from the many times that I went north, people and crowd wise, the only problem is, we're visiting her family in Berwick, Blue Hill and Sedgwick and we only have so much vacation time, so we have to wrap it around a holiday. My honest feeling is that we're going to be around Sedgwick for a at lest a week or so, that's why I'm wondering about "hole in the wall," campsites.

I appreiciate the camping info, I'm just trying to do something new, usually I crash at Lamoine State Park, then hike it in the truck to where I want to climb.

If there are going to be any "rc.com'ers," in the area, let me know, I'm not opposed to throwing a few back and putting up a couple routes. Trust me, I think I'm going to need a break from the social scene after the week is done.

justafurnaceman

Feb 24, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #16 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's why I stay in the back woods like Shag Crag or other out of the way places. I don't like crowds. But if you need a partner give me a holler. Haven't climbed all that long, but belaying and learning from other peoples is good too.

Partner polarwid

Feb 26, 2005, 5:10 AM
Post #17 of 17 (6877 views)
Shortcut

polarwid moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

polarwid moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook