Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Catskill TR ice
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

grinspoon

Feb 28, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Catskill TR ice  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Upstate: Catskills)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some beta for the Katterskill Falls area. I don't lead, is there any routes that are TR friendly? Thanks

campo

Feb 28, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Re: Catskill TR ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I am a student at Hartwick, and can tell you about the various TR locations in Katterskill Clove (There are ALOT). I would recommend the following (I have a photocopy of the guidebook you can look over if you want to meet)
1.Asbestos Wall (Thin, but TR lines exist)
2.Stoney Clove (the playground can be accessed by walking around to the right)
3. Deep Notch (Generally a lead the TR situation, with some climb having access to the top)
You can contact me for beta if you wish, or if you want a tour sometime.
John
607-435-4672
or AIM
LiveWire788

Partner taino

Feb 28, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1581 views)
Shortcut

Re: Catskill TR ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Asbestos Wall, as above.

Moore's Bridge - generally very crowded on weekends; you can access the top without leading, but it's a bit of a slog.

Stony Clove, as above.

Jeff's Wet Dream - fairly straight-forward access, but it's a rap-in/climb out situation.

About 100 yards downstream from Jeff's Wet Dream is a flow; generally only grade 2, although you can find some 3 stuff. Access by 1) walking down the hill from the first parking area on the right; get to the end of the railing, then bushwack to the area moving along the river upstream (this would mean you had to lead back up, or scramble up the far left of the area - doable, but sketchy), or 2) at the second culvert ditch down from the parking lot, scramble - usually on rope - down and set up various anchors off the abundant trees there. That section is the more difficult area, with the grade 3 to 3+ ice. I was there yesterday; there was one line that might have gone 3+ (freehanging vertical pillar about as thick as a person), with a few lines of 3 (partially freehanging curtain, very thick) and a couple lines of 2. This area, BTW, is relatively short-heighted - no more than 40 feet - and gets NO direct sunlight.

Hope that helps. Don't hog it. :wink:

T

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook