RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

yorb

Mar 1, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

National Geo. June 1974
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was looking through some national Geographic magazines at school and I found a story about the first clean ascent of the northwest face of half dome. I forgot what their names were though... I ones name was Doug Robinsen, and another had the first or last name of Hennick.

edge

Mar 1, 2005, 8:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Re: National Geo. June 1974 i think [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is the June, 1974 issue.

I had a subscription to National Geographic at the time, and was intrigued by the article about the first clean ascent by Doug Robinson, Dennis Hennek, and Galen Rowell. The problem was, at the time I was 13 years old and deathly afraid of heights. In fact, the photos in the article that showed the view looking down from the Zig Zag pitches made me literally sick to my stomache. Still, something about what they were doing, the adventure, the position, everything else appealed to me.

I started soon afterward reading everything that I could about climbing. I scrambled on local boulders and choss piles. Eventually I saved up enough money for a rope, a few carabiners, and webbing for a Swiss seat harness. This led to bigger and better things, but I was always shut down cold with fear as soon as I got 40 feet or so off the deck. This continued pretty much until my freshman year of college, where, out of desperation, I ordered a self hypnosis tape on fear of heights. I listened to it every night as I fell asleep.

Two years later, on my second trip to Yosemite and on the day of my 20th birthday, I topped out on Half Dome. The views were just as I had imagined them from the article, but the fear was gone. That is when I knew I could do pretty much anything I set my mind to.

Thanks for making me remember the article. I just pulled it off the bookshelf and look forward to re-reading it tonight.

yorb

Mar 2, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Re: National Geo. June 1974 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's great to hear how such a simple thing can inspire someone. When I was looking through it, it felt like holding an important peice of history. It wasn't something recently written about the past, but the magazine itself is actually a part of that history, especially haveing been written by one of the climbers.

xprompt

Mar 2, 2005, 1:15 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u can buy it for $65 heh
google is awesome....

That and awesome story. I want a copy.

yorb

Mar 2, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #5 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i could 'get' it from my school for free, although my photo teacher who is also a climber wants it too.

capcom1701

Mar 9, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just picked one up on ebay for $5 bucks. :D

jon

sbwyliedog

Mar 9, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey capcom you must have outbid me.

capcom1701

Mar 17, 2005, 7:10 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Steve! :oops: Figures though, how many people could possibly want that particular issue. I just got back from a trip, so I haven't read the article yet, but the pics look quite good. There's also a fantastic advertisment about how bad traffic is going to be in the future, how oil is going to become such a controlling factor, and so we should start building public transportation tailored to the individual. Too bad nobody listened!

jon

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook