Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Do u guys use sun block lotion when climb outdoor???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

xiang49

Mar 10, 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #1 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Do u guys use sun block lotion when climb outdoor???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey guys, i am wondering that is that necessary to put on sun block lotion when u climb outdoor??
I dont, but my gf insist on asking me 2 put it on. so how about u guys?

anykineclimb

Mar 10, 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #2 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do u guys use sun block lotion when climb outdoor??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sometimes, but not as a rule.

I've gotten pretty fried at times for not putting some on.

Partner tisar

Mar 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #3 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A simple yes. Neck, forearms and wades first. Main prob is to protect the backside of your hands without getting greasy fingertips. I hate getting sunburned...

- Daniel

azrockclimber

Mar 10, 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #4 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hell yes!! i would burn to a fricken crisp in the summer sun. 10+ hours in the sun will burn anyone that i know. especially in Ca and Az.

Partner sevrdhed

Mar 10, 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #5 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be from now on, since I got burned yesterday after climbing in 60 degree weather for 2 hours. Especially since I'm going to be in the desert for the next week.

Steve

nonick

Mar 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #6 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use sun block on high altitude.

Partner gunksgoer

Mar 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #7 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive never used sunblock when i climb, and its sometimes without a shirt too. ive never even gotten burnt when im climbing, but this is of course up in the NE, so its probably not comparable to places like arizona.

Partner cliffhanger9

Mar 10, 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #8 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:troll:

far_east_climber

Mar 10, 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #9 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always when I am out in the open for long periods of time. I actually prefer to wrap an old t-shirt around my face/neck and secure it by wearing my helmet and tuck it into my collar. I have never liked the feeling of a piercing sun strike my face. Sure I might look like the 'Invisible Man' but fully wrapping my head not only keeps it cool, shady and protected, but allows me to skip applying that irritating lotion.

montaniero

Mar 10, 2005, 1:01 PM
Post #10 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I currently climb in Spain and France, and unless you embrace skin cancer you must use sunscreen around here. As a matter of fact, I started using sunscreen since I heard this speech at my commencement some years ago:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97: Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen."

:)

overlord

Mar 10, 2005, 1:07 PM
Post #11 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that would depend on the crag in question. if ill be in the sun most of the time then i use it. if not, the i dont.

simplesoul

Mar 10, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #12 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a stupid forum. not to get on anyones case or to be such a downer but COME ON people....its F-ing sunscreen use some commen sence...Its not a life or death situation here. But because we are on the topic. How many of you all get a fricken manicure after a hard days climb. I sure know i would die without mine! Lets all get outside stop cleaning our asses with silk and get our hands dirty!!!!

(sorry if I offended anyone but there has been a lack of intelligent posts on this site recently, I know this doesnt help and that I dont have room to talk because i dont have any great post ideas.....but come on people sunscrean??? i mean really! I cant be alone in all this i know there is someone eles thinking it...)

.......enjoy.

jackhammer

Mar 10, 2005, 1:55 PM
Post #13 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If needed...

freddys27

Mar 10, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #14 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. I never used to, but things have changed.

I just had a bunch of skin removed because of melanoma. I would recomend it.

jcshaggy

Mar 10, 2005, 2:42 PM
Post #15 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to Africa and climb a multi-pitch route without wearing sun block and see what happens.

crackmd

Mar 10, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #16 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what a stupid forum. not to get on anyones case or to be such a downer but COME ON people....its F-ing sunscreen use some commen sence...Its not a life or death situation here. But because we are on the topic. How many of you all get a fricken manicure after a hard days climb. I sure know i would die without mine! Lets all get outside stop cleaning our asses with silk and get our hands dirty!!!!

(sorry if I offended anyone but there has been a lack of intelligent posts on this site recently, I know this doesnt help and that I dont have room to talk because i dont have any great post ideas.....but come on people sunscrean??? i mean really! I cant be alone in all this i know there is someone eles thinking it...)

.......enjoy.

I disagree with you. Just possibly someone who does not use sunscreen may read this post and give it another thought and protect themselves from skin cancer. How is that stupid? Plus, I think it is a refreshing change from the typical posts about whether or not we should place bolts, chop bolts, clip bolts, chip holds, stickclip, wear helmets or bring Fido to the crag.

Partner johnr9q

Mar 10, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #17 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am fair skinned and older than the hills (60) so you probably shouldn't take my advice. I never wear shorts or short sleeved shirts. I wear a hat that has a big brim and flaps that hang down the sides. For the face and head it is important to have a physical barrier (big hat) as well as a chemical one (sun screen) Advice I got from a dermatologist for the proper sunscreen is at least an SPF of 30 and a sunscreen that has Parsol 1789 (the latest greatest ingredient in sunscreen) I like a Gel so I use Coppertone Sport Gel. It is waterproof, sweatproof and has "no slip grip". (Heaven knows us climbers need that). There's my advice which I've given many times but not many follow.

adamtd

Mar 10, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #18 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always, especially if there's snow! Once you watch someone go through skin cancer and having their skin removed pieces at a time, you'll use it religiously. How long does it take to apply a little sun screen? How much does it weigh, will it make or break your trip? Better to be safe than sorry. Plus, a bad sun burn sucks, especially if it's on your shoulders and then you wear a gear sling or pack.

ben87

Mar 10, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #19 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually don't -- my main spot is the gunks in the spring and fall. Not too glaring. Definitly anytime I'm on the snow or the water I use it... never a bad idea, though.

One special case -- if I call in sick to work to play hookie and go climbing - I DEFINITLY use it. Don't want to come back to work the next day with a fresh tan, eh?

womble

Mar 10, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #20 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

.......enjoy.

I disagree with you. Just possibly someone who does not use sunscreen may read this post and give it another thought and protect themselves from skin cancer. How is that stupid? Plus, I think it is a refreshing change from the typical posts about whether or not we should place bolts, chop bolts, clip bolts, chip holds, stickclip, wear helmets or bring Fido to the crag.

I agree with simplesoul. This is possibly the most hairbrained topic I have ever read on a climbing forum.

The original poster is from Malaysia, which is on the equator. ie. incredibly intense sunshine all year around. If he's old enough to have a girlfriend, he should have enough common sense to know if he needs sunscreen or not. In fact, it's such a dumb question that I suspect it's a troll.

In any case, the answer is variable. Depends on location and time of year.

angelaa

Mar 10, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #21 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess it is up to you what you want to do regarding sun block. . . but why would you want skin cancer?

I have seen too many of my friends both young and old have to deal with it . . . not something I want to have to handle!

don't get me wrong - I do NOT always wear it :oops: . . in fact most of the time I forget! but once my lips start getting dry I remember and hope there is some around!!

onbelay510

Mar 10, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #22 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It high altitude I reapply it every couple of hours. But kickin' at the crags, I normally forget or don't bother. It's always a good idea though.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 10, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #23 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...its F-ing sunscreen use some commen sence...Its not a life or death situation here. .

and skin cancer is a myth?

I don't know about anyone else, montaniero, but i enjoyed your post. I would have rated it highly if i could vote today.

Josh

leinosaur

Mar 10, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #24 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put it on - your girlfriend knows it'll save you from not only skin cancer but premature wrinkles, etc. probably makes you nice and soft too.

better yet have her put it on, then your fingers won't get too softened and tear easily.

I wear it when I remember, and know I always should. I got a slight burn two weeks ago on an overcast weekend in Arkansas. Not good as skin cancer runs in my family.

do it!

sub-zero
Deleted

Mar 10, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #25 of 42 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends how long your out there I would say. I worked for a paving company for over six months and we always were in the sun, it gave me a kewl tan. I would say put lotion on and ask your girl if she wants you to rub some on her. It would be nice and it should make her smile. It's a classic beach trick. Romance is the key. 8^) Besides cancer rates have been shooting up these days.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook