RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

vegasguy

Apr 27, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

climbling with a camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does any one have any good tips on how to climb with a camera while makeing sure it doesn't fall off of yourself, i can't loose my camera cause it is my baby.

thanks all

climbingnurse

Apr 27, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #2 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbling with a camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kinda camera are we talking about? I have a little padded, zippered pouch that I keep my digital point and shoot in. I can attach it to a leg loop on easy climbs, but not for anything near my limit or really facy.

climbindiver

Apr 27, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are clip attachments for scuba divers that are also great for climbing. They can be clipped to your harness and your camera, but have coil/bungee/retractor (depending on type) for when you want to use the camera. This way the camera is always clipped to the harness.

vegasguy

Apr 27, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #4 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the type of camera would help huh. it is a nikon D70. hope that helps

sarcat

Apr 27, 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've permanently attached the wrist loop form the camera to my padded case then I have a "not for climbing" biner from the case to any attachment point on my harness or pack or sling.

Of course mine is a small Nikon Coolpix 3100.

madzooks

May 5, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's kind of a big camera to be taking up on rock. but if you must here's what I do when I take my canon eos 1v which is a bit bigger than youre's.
Tamron makes a single camera bag that's just big enough for a slr with medium zoom lense on it. It has sewn loops on the back for a belt that you can thread your harness through. then I just take a couple feet of 2mm acc cord and tie the camera off through one my gear loops so I can't drop it. this setup is only good if you're climbing very low grades cause something that is gonna get in the way at all the wrong times.

justsaynototake

May 5, 2005, 5:44 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the D70 is what I think it is (SLR digital Nikon) then you could always do what I do which is carry it in a camelbak. I have a camelbak blowfish which I take up with me when I do multipitches. It is kinda bulky but it keeps the camera out of your way while you are climbing and keeps it safe in the meantime (unless you are doing some chimney action with your back against the wall). I hope that helps.

carbo

May 5, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I normally put the large SLR in a backpack, but I thought of testing this out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=113792&is=REG

erockrings

May 5, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing with a camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i got a question along the same lines.

A month ago i bought a new camcorder, which is now getting fixed. Most likely due to a little too much bouncing around in the haul bag. I really want to keep bringing it with me up the wall but obviously i need a better case.

any of you guys use hard cases? if so what brand? how much? and do they work well for the extra amount of weight?

i realize this strays from the original topic slightly, but i suppose it is of concern to everyone with a camera they consider their baby.
thanks!

steadymatrock

May 13, 2005, 9:16 AM
Post #10 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A bungy cord attached the camera(replace the strap) to your body as a sling.Then put the camera into a small lowe pro padded bag secure with a biner to the harness.

When you need to use the camera just remove it out from the bag without any worries of the cam falling to the ground.Bungy cord make it easy for you to position your camera angle.

ajkclay

Jun 1, 2005, 3:39 AM
Post #11 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing with a camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a canon s1 is (smaller than an slr, bigger than a compact digital) that I take up with me, this is the method I use.

I have a dogbone threaded on to the back of my harness with a screwgate through the lower sewn loop.

My camera goes into a berghaus bag just big enough to hold it. The bag has a sprung zippered opening that opens up automaticllay when unzipped. On the back of the bag are sewn loops which I thread through the screwgate.

This setup allows the bag to sit at a really good height (just below my bum) allowing it to hang slightly under me without getting in the way, and allowing me to climb anything (even chimney) without having the bag in the way. When I get to a ledge I just move it back before sitting.

The trick I think is to have whatever bag/case you use to hang just low enough to be able to follow the contour inwards below your butt.

Of course bigger cameras make this harder, a camelback would be the next best option I think.

my 2c

mgoodro

Jun 3, 2005, 4:43 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Olympus C-8080 (excellent blend of quality, functionality and portability - couldn't resist the plug). On easy climbs I just wear the camera bag. On harder climbs I take my wife's Olympus Stylus Verve, a tiny camera, in a tiny padded zippered bag that attaches to a harness relatively unobtrusively with a belt loop. I also clip the camera to a piece of cord clipped to a gear loop so I won't drop it (far).

Be wary of any type of camera bag with plastic parts. The plastic clip (for the strap) on one of my camera bags broke while climbing and the bag fell (about 15') to the ground. Fortunately the padding protected the camera. I have since replaced all plastic loops with mini screwlock biners and the strap with webbing.

chanceboarder

Jun 3, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #13 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're taking it up to get good killer photos of you and your buddies climbing then stick it in one of those holster pouches that will carry an SLR with a medium size lens attached preferably one with a sewn in belt loop (not the velcro kind that can come undone) and/or metal rings you can tie some accessory cord to. carry it in a backpack if you're carrying or one somehow clipped behind you so its out of the way of your climbing.

if you're just taking it up to take snap shots of your climb or the surroundings and what not to document your trip do yourself a favor and invest in a decent point and shot. i shot with a D70 as well as an F100 and those only go up with me if i'm taking serious photos and i take some extra special precautions when they do go up. otherwise its my nice little point and shot. i don't mind banging up my little digi cam or evening dropping it but i'll be mad as hell if i lost my SLR's.

paulraphael

Jun 8, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #14 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i used to climb with my nikon fm2, i just put the neck strap around my neck and secured the camera down with the sternum strap from my pack (this was on alpine climbs). I kept a stuffsack handy to put over the camera if it rained or snowed.

This didn't offer much protection, but I never had any problems. The nice thing was the camera was very easy to get to. For me, climbing is already hard enough ... if getting my camera ready is going to be a pain, I'll probably never do it.

Another note ... if the camera is truly your baby, maybe it's not the one to take climbing. No matter what it might take a beating. Why not leave the baby at home and bring your bastard stepchild?

climbsomething

Jun 8, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #15 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has been hashed out many, MANY times. Search.

My bastard stepchild is a Pentax K1000. And I have been so hard on my supposedly-bulletproof bastard stepchild that I am now on my second one.

jamming_man

Jun 8, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #16 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tighten the neck strap and slig it around you body to your back then take a sling girth hitch it to the strap and clip it to your harnes. Now, when you need to take the shot simply swing the camera to the front of yourself(if u have a wide angle you might not even need to look in the view finder)and take the shot. Then swing it back to your...well back and keep climbing. In any case that you slip and fall , the camera is strapped to you and your harness, so as long as you aim for the rock with your face and not your ass you are fine =)...

kaller

Jun 14, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a pain to carry an slr climbing, but I do it too. I try to plan each section of the climb. I shove my slr, and the lens I think I need, in a Lowe Pro topload zoom case - It wraps around my neck and I tighten a waist belt (or hitch it to my harness too) to keep it stable. I keep spare lenses in my backpack/haulbag. What a pain, but seems to work.
-Kalle

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook