RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

lokiraven

May 3, 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

I wanna try it
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My question has a couple parts.First, Id like to try some alpine climbing next season, What king of training should I start doing to keep from bieng a little wuss? I figure Ill do a few 14ers during the summer ,but thats all I can really think of.
Second, ive looked around but had little luck finding winter survival/cpr classes, any suggestions?
Third, anyone want to send me a pile of cash? (if you dont ask, the answer is always no.)

andback3

May 3, 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: I wanna try it [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as for the CPR cert, call your local red cross chapter, the courses are pretty easy, but the books are useful. You can find your local chapter here: http://www.redcross.org/where/where.html

michelleh

May 3, 2005, 1:07 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, piles of cash... You know I would but...!

Good luck, hope you have an awesome first season!

wingnut

May 3, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take an No;s course and become a wilderness first responder.

atg200

May 3, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what kind of alpine climbing do you want to do? winter grovels up 14ers? technical rock on high peaks in the summer? mixed rock and ice on peaks? trips to bigger mountains around the world?

sorta sounds like you want to grovel on 14ers in the winter. the number one thing you need to learn for that is how to survive in avalanche terrain. at a minimum, take a level one avalanche class at the start of next winter and spend a bunch of time practicing with a beacon in safe terrain. a level two class is also a good idea.

i have no idea what this winter survival class would be. take the avy course, maybe a wilderness first responder course if you want to be very responsible, and really learn how to use a map/compass/altimeter to navigate. an orienteering class could be useful, or just some summer cross country hiking would work as well. you can get plenty of info about how to layer, eat, etc. from various books - the alan and mike's really cool backcountry ski book(i think it is allen and mike, but i don't remember for sure) would be a good start even if you don't ski.

fitness and a willingness to suffer are a good idea as well. go running, carry a heavy pack uphill, etc. to get in shape.

dingus

May 3, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took the paths of least resistance into what alpine climbing I have managed.

What does this mean? HellifIknow!

But clearly you can't accumulate all the gear and knowledge you would need for a carte blanche pass into any ole alpine adventure that piques your heart's desire.

When you throw in the sub genre's of rock climbing, ice climbing, skiing, aid, avalanche training, etc... you are looking at a big old pile of cash and a considerable amount of time.

If I may suggest... frame your mind as to the sorts of alpine activities you aspire toward. Begin to come to grips with the skills and gear you need to do those things. Make lists, either mental or god forbid, computer nerd spreadsheets and shit. Begin acquiring those things on an as needed and as-on-sale basis.

In terms of prep, or working toward those goals, peak hiking is step one to mountaineering and mountaineering leads to the more demanding alpine climbs. There are a shit load of hikable peaks in the Rockies. You can start your mountaineering career on the first peak you hike.

You may find you don't like doing all that hiking. If that is the case, you can 'nip it in the bud' early and save yourself a lot of money. Alpinism involves a lot of mountain hiking with heavy loads. Learn to love manual labor and all will be bliss.

Skiing is the King's way of traversing snowly terrain and Colordao I am told has a ski resort ot two. Learn to ski with solid skills and a winter wonderland is yours for the taking.

With RMNP and other alpine rock playgrounds, the rock climbing piece of the pie is within your grasp, provided you have trad skills. Many alpinists, especially those of us in California, are content to alpine rock climb *for the most part* with the occasional ice climb, ski tour and what have you thrown in.

If the 8000er's are your primary interest, the single best thing you can do is focus on your career so you can make a boatload of money and retire in your early 30's.

Buy what you can as you need it and when its on sale.
Consider no mountain too lowly to hike or climb. That opens up a world of opportunity in any season.
Pursue the opportunities that are available... rock climbing in summer, hiking in foul weather, skiing and ice climbing in winter, etc.

Most everyone who does it to one extent or another takes the same tack, more or less. Another time honored way is to get decent at rock climbing and go to work for nols or another alpine training group and build contacts and opportunities that way. You gotta be good, super motivated and have decent people skills to go that route however.

Remember, honest mountaineering is just a hike away. If you find peak hiking is beneath you... you may want to reconsider.

Cheers
DMT

swesterhus

May 4, 2005, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My best tip would be to have fun, start small, and do (and not just read about) all the things that wonŽt kill you (like learning to ski, digging a snow cave, surviving in winter etc...). Get out of the couch and into the mountains and walk/climb all you can. Start in summer, then autumn will come quick enough.

Basically; first get comfy with being in the mountains and youŽll have a laugh!

Stian :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook