RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

teleskigirl

May 12, 2005, 3:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Memorial to a murdered climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The climbing community lost a dear, sweet soul to what is appearing a muder suicide. This dear woman was not only mudered but her mother as well and her three young children were found murdered yesterday up in Garner Valley. Karen was an exceptional woman, she could lead hard ass climbs, build just about anything, cut down many of the beetle infested trees up in Idyllwild. She had a great sense of humor and always was opimistic.
Sad day, when senseless violance occurs, what a loss of beautiful life.
Pray for her one adult son who is deployed over in Iraq, this will be an awful shock to him.

kriso9tails

May 12, 2005, 4:43 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: Memorial to a murdered climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not what you'd call an overly sympathetic person. To read such a thing saddens me, but because I don't know any of the people I can't fully understand the loss as those closest to them must feel it.

Still, when I think of my own brother and I try to imagine if any such thing happened to him... I don't really want to think about that. I also don't think anyone should have to face such misfortune, especially being so far away, but unfortunately it's not my call.

Partner philbox

May 12, 2005, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from Community to General.

climbhigh

May 12, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Karen, you will be missed... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don’t know if any of you ever had the pleasure of climbing with Karen McGowan. I did. I met her last year thru another climbing website when I was looking for a partner for Tahquitz. Our first climb together was Whodunnit (5.9) on Tahquitz. She was a blast to climb with. I liked her personality and enjoyed our conversation while hiking up to the base. She was a comfortable climbing partner, quick and knowledgeable. She also was not afraid to push herself. We did several climbs at Tahquitz, Suicide and Jtree. She often spoke of her husband, and children at home as well as her older son who was overseas serving in the Navy.

Karen was tragically killed early in the morning of Tuesday, May 10, along with her mother-in-law, younger son, and two daughters, apparently by her husband who then took his own life. I was friends with Karen but never had the opportunity to meet her husband or children. In the times that I climbed with her she always spoke fondly of them and their adventures together. My heart sank when I read the news of the tragic events that unfolded at their home Tuesday near Idyllwild.

The last time I climbed with Karen was at Suicide last year. After hiking up to the base and setting up for our first climb, to Karen’s surprise she realized she had left her climbing shoes at home. Not to be deterred from a day of climbing, she gladly accepted my offer to use my extra pair of shoes I was hauling. Though the shoes were several sizes too big, she made due by stuffing a sock down the back of each shoe to force her toes forward. She then went on to complete a 10a lead that I had just backed off of. I then thanked her for making me feel vindicated knowing that at least my shoes had completed the lead. We did several more enjoyable climbs that day. She truly loved to climb.

Karen, you and your family will be missed…

- Jack

crimpstrength

May 12, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: Karen, you will be missed... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What a tragedy, how terrible. I am so so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

trenchdigger

May 12, 2005, 9:54 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: Karen, you will be missed... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some things in this world that I will never understand. May they rest in peace.

:(

~Adam~

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook