Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
access at lost rocks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

dboss420finger

Sep 16, 2003, 5:24 AM
Post #1 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

access at lost rocks  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Lost_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was there on 9/14 and was approached by people claiming to be the land owners (the Williams?). This occured south of the sacred rock in the second set of boulders. I was told that bouldering farther south was allowed (past the huge rock with the weird caves). Be aware that the landowners are potentially unfriendly, so best to respect their wishes. Any more information on the subject would be appreciated.

monkey

Sep 16, 2003, 6:32 AM
Post #2 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Re: access at lost rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Say it isn't so...

I have only heard awesome things about Lost Rocks. I want to go soon.

roughster

Sep 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #3 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also heard there is a stretch of Lost Rocks thatis privately owned. Paul at Adventures Edge (I think thats the name) in Arcata is the guy to talk to for up to date Humboldt area news.

kampklamath

Sep 29, 2003, 5:10 AM
Post #4 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My name is Aaron and I own Kamp Klamath, the closest campground to Lost Rocks.

The Williams family owns some of the land on which some of the Rocks are located. None of the family live on or near the property. Depending on which family member [and there are many, but seldom onsite] you encounter, your welcome may vary.

We have a lot of boulderers camp with us and we always like to hear their stories around the camp fire about the Lost Rocks and other sites they have visited. [We have a free salmon BBQ, bon fire and live music Saturday nights]. We offer wooded sites with picnic table, fire ring, free and clean restrooms and hot showers, internet access, public telephone and convenience store - all for $14 per night!

We are available to help you with directions and local info at 1-866-KLAMATH [toll-free], or kampklamath@msn.com. Or visit our web page at www.kampklamath.com and check out our "Bouldering" page.

Climb On!

roughster

Sep 29, 2003, 5:44 AM
Post #5 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from Regional Discussions to Access Issues & Closures.

mungeclimber

Oct 2, 2003, 1:18 AM
Post #6 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Re: roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, thanks for the camping beta.

Probably check it out next summer.

corona

Oct 17, 2003, 9:46 AM
Post #7 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost all of Lost Rocks is on the Williams' family land. Access is delicate, so please help keep this place open--don't camp by the blocs. Most of the family don't seem to mind us if we mind our own business--I lived and climbed there for two months this summer without any problems.

dsafanda

Nov 24, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #8 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking of taking a road trip to this area over Thanksgiving weekend. Any recent news regarding access issues?

snodawg

Jun 7, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #9 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have just returned from a trip to lost rocks. There doesn't really seem to be an access issue at this time. I did not run into any of the family but I did run into a few climbers. The weather was great, sunny (climbing without a shirt), no wind, and 70 degree temps. Found a couple of people camped on the beach, this I find a little disrespectful. What would it be like if we all decided to camp on the beach. Well, there our access would go. Told the campers how I felt but it fell on deaf ears. There is no reason to camp on the beach. Camp Klammath is right down the road with showers and if you feel the need to camp for free there is also Flint ridge campground which is just a little past camp klammath but is closer to lost rocks. If you want to access the south rocks I think the best way is a bush whack trail that begins in the overlook bluff day use area. The south rocks are the best rocks but please stay off of Split Rock due to the fact that it is an ceremonial rock used by the local Indians. PLEASE HAVE RESPECT!!!!! I hope you all have as great of an experience there as I did.

benyork

Oct 12, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #10 of 13 (10900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rg38/index.html

lambone

Dec 8, 2006, 3:31 AM
Post #11 of 13 (8146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [benyork] access at lost rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From the Access Fund website:
http://www.accessfund.org/regions/res/CA

In reply to:
Lost Rocks
Lost Rocks Access Alert! To ease access concerns, please enter Lost Rocks from the either the Flinthead Ridge walk-in campground area and use the trail there to reach the boulders or from the southern end at High Bluff. Both trails are off the Coastal Scenic Drive. The less gnarly approach is via High Bluff with just a small 4th class section at the very end where it dumps on to the beach a second time at the true southern edge of Lost Rocks. North along the beach from the Flinthead Trail is private land and Yurok reservation land and is off limits to climbing. The Yurok are very much opposed to climbing on their ancestral lands in Redwood National Park/Lost Rocks. Some individuals are choosing voluntarily not to climb there. It is public land so if you do climb there please be very respectful and practice a leave no trace ethic!

Alternative areas for bouldering without access issues: Osagon Rocks in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park—hike 8 miles or ride your mountain bike on a sweet/mellow 25 mile loop, just watch out for elk! Houda Pt. and Moonstone County Park—Just north of Moonstone ˝ mile is Houda, bring your surfboard too! Fun beach bouldering, just watch out for loose rock here and there.

Also, an interesting article w/photos here:
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/123004/news1230.html

In reply to:
It has become common knowledge among local climbers to stay off of Split Rock out of what we have felt is respect to the Yurok. Through conversations with park officials we know to get to the boulders via the Flinthead Ridge Trail and not through the Yurok ceremonial dance ground. The challenges arise when climbers from elsewhere visit the area. There are no signs to indicate which trails to use and which rocks to climb -- invariably trails and rocks that should not be climbed are, and not out of disrespect but because there is no indication that it is not OK. Local climbers thought it could be beneficial to show that we understand that Lost Rocks is sacred to the Yurok and that we want to climb in an informed and respectful way.

(This post was edited by lambone on Dec 8, 2006, 5:00 AM)

brandonsequoia

Jul 29, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #12 of 13 (7723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] access at lost rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey All-

We're planning a trip to Lost Rocks in September and I'm hoping for more info on how to access the rocks and which rocks and sections of beach/land to avoid so we don't disrupt the tenuous peace the locals have achieved with this delicate access issue.

Also, I'd like to point out that it seems we, as climbers, so often look at these issues from a pretty selfish and one-sided perspective. It's not always an access issue, it's not always about ensuring future use of a land feature for climbing purposes. I think it's important to keep in mind and to maintain the mindset and attitude that this is about sharing and respecting our planet and each others' place on it, and doing our best to insure that everyone, future generations included, get to experience our planet in the state it was meant to be experienced, without the marring or scarring, whether constructive or destructive, of human activity and impact.

Thanks for helping to keep Lost Rocks a beautiful and sacred place and a place where climbing is allowed and appreciated, not tolerated until a way is found to outlaw it!

Brandon Sequoia
Team Awesome Climbing

rmshull

Aug 3, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #13 of 13 (7565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brandonsequoia] access at lost rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The most current Lost Rocks info can be be found under the Redwood Coast section on mountainproject.com. Also, any changes in access will be posted there. To keep Lost Rocks open, remember to stay south of the "flake" boulder, keep a low profile and leave the pads at home. Happy climbin!

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook