Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Argentina July 23 to Sept 2..wanting to climb
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

marisa

Jun 25, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Argentina July 23 to Sept 2..wanting to climb  (Europe: England: South_West: Portishead_Quarry__OS_: Shawn_Cliff)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I'll be heading to Argentina in about a month. I'm looking to do some sport climbing around there, especially around the Mar del Plata area (early August).

I'm at about 5.8 lead; 5.10a top rope; V2 boulder. Nothing spectacular at the moment, but I do love the sport! My boyfriend will be with me at Mar del Plata, and he can lead a 5.10a.

So a few questions...
How are the routes around Mar del Plata? Is there a topo guide anywhere online? Also, looking for climbing partners if anyone is interested while we're down there.

Other areas of Argentina I will probably go to are listed below. Do you know of any sport climbing in those regions?
- Buenos Aires
- Iguazu Falls
- Resistencia
- Salta
- Quebrada de Cafayate
- Jujuy
- Quebrada de Humahuaca
- Tucuman/Tafi/Quilmes
- Catamarca
- La Rioja
- Mendoza
- San Luis
- Cordoba
- Santa Rosa/Pampas
- Bahia Blanca

Have rope, will travel! :) Thanks!

johnny_b_goode

Jun 25, 2005, 4:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Re: Argentina July 23 to Sept 2..wanting to climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Ill be in Argentina for the first 2 weeks in August for a ski trip and have tried to aim for as much climbing as possible. Ive emailed a few people, and as we all know that it is winter down there, apparently the climbing is difficult to access due to snow coverage. There is a kick @$$ lookin place in Bariloche that I would do anything to climb at, but the snow is going to prevent me from going. http://www.escalando.cl check out that website for great info on Chile and Argentina. There is a map on this site of Argentina and it has plenty of climbing destinations listed on it, and is color coded so that you know what type of climbing it is(trad-aid-sport). Good Luck and if you get any information on possible winter climbing in Argentina, please let me know.
Keep it real

marisa

Jun 25, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Johnny, no snow for me! Hopefully ;) I'm going to stay to the north and central regions. I'm guessing that the best bet might be Mar del Plata -- it's along the Atlantic coast so I would think that the temperature would be moderated by the ocean so it wouldn't snow or be *too* cold there.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

fortfun

Jun 25, 2005, 5:24 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the weather should be passable in the mar del plata region during that time. I was down there for a while and it never got that cold.

marisa

Jun 25, 2005, 5:34 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just found this site:

http://www.stonedance.com/ -- has climbing info for Argentina and Chile, a few topos. There's info on a place called Sierra la Vigilancia about 45 km from Mar del Plata. Can climb during winter months. :D

telerpr

Jul 13, 2005, 3:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey marisa,
I am going to arrive in BA on July 19th. I plan to climb until the 23rd. I have to be back in BA for some school stuff. I think me schedule is pretty open though. We should plan to meet when you get there to share some info. email me at telerpr@hotmail.com
Talk to ya soon,
Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook