Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Escalada en Mendoza
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

franciscoanton

Jun 30, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Escalada en Mendoza  (Europe: England: South_West: Portishead_Quarry__OS_: Shawn_Cliff)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hola a todos,

Voy a estar en mendoza, argentina por 6 meses (julio 2005 - enero 2006), asistiendo a clases en la universidad nacional de cuyo. Algunos amigos me han dicho que alli hay una comunidad de escaladeros. Espero que si, y me gustaria mucho escalar cuando estoy en Mendoza. La unica problema es que no conozco ningunas lugares de escalar alli. Busco toda la informacion que puedo conseguir sobre la escalada cerca de mendoza. Si alguien me puede ayudar, yo estaria muy feliz!

-Francisco

vivalargo

Jul 2, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Re: Escalada en Mendoza [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo, Francisco--

There's a guy on this site named Yanqui who's a big time Gringo alpinist living in BA (I think). He's got the climbing wired in Arg.

Have a fun 6 mons.

Ciao!
LARGO

ryanb

Jul 2, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somebody showed me a guidebook to local rockclimbs when I was (briefely) in mendoza. There are a couple of areas (bolted I think?) within a days autobus distance ... i never made it out to them. The wine is nice too. There are a couple of climbing/'trecking' shops in the central area that have shoes (but not much else...bring your own gear) and I'm sure you can find climbers if you ask around. Mendoza is an awesome place.

yanqui

Jul 4, 2005, 9:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yo, Francisco--

There's a guy on this site named Yanqui who's a big time Gringo alpinist living in BA (I think). He's got the climbing wired in Arg.

Have a fun 6 mons.

Ciao!
LARGO

Thanks for the nice recommendation, vivalargo: "big time Gringo alpinist" :D. In my mind, this might be how it is, but in reality, "mediocre middle-aged boulderer" is probably closer to the truth. I'm sure the one or two REAL big time alpinists who have known me are having a good laugh, if they happened to see this.

I hope Francisco got to see what I already posted on the English version of his question:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/92133

vivalargo

Jul 5, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Yo, Francisco--

Have a fun 6 mons.

Ciao!
LARGO

Thanks for the nice recommendation, vivalargo: "big time Gringo alpinist" :D. In my mind, this might be how it is, but in reality, "mediocre middle-aged boulderer" is probably closer to the truth. I'm sure the one or two REAL big time alpinists who have known me are having a good laugh, if they happened to see this.

I hope Francisco got to see what I already posted on the English version of his question:

Hombre, are you saying I overstated your case? Another myth--shattered.

JL

yanqui

Jul 7, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Yo, Francisco--

Have a fun 6 mons.

Ciao!
LARGO

Hombre, are you saying I overstated your case? Another myth--shattered.

JL

Now that I think of it, it's a delicate move, this choice between myth and truth. And it's not always clear that truth should prevail. The human condition is as much about creating reality according to our myths, as it is about observing the world and making note of its truths. Are human beings peaceful or violent, competetive or cooperative, selfish or giving, just or unfair? We can choose to approach these questions with the eyes of a sociologist. Make operational definitions. Measure and take notes. Observe how people really are. Or we may simply decide to act on the world according to our myths, and in the process help to create a reality which is more peaceful or violent, more competetive or cooperative, more selfish or giving, more just or unfair.

So maybe I tried to side with the truth too soon. Who am I to argue with the myth-maker himself? LARGO. In part responsible for the mythology of my formative climbing years. Myths that carried me through the fear and doubt, the isolation and despair, the loss of confidence and all those other demons that danced in and out of my climbing experience in my younger years. Now I'm mostly at peace with my climbing. And maybe that's part of the problem. But even though, I'm thinking, it could be that LARGO's right, and "big time Gringo alpinist" it is.

I guess this means I better get my ass out and climb something more than 30 meters high!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook