RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jorg

Jul 21, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Portaledges
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everybody :-) I think the prices on portaledges are just outrageous. The is no way that some aluminum tubing and nylon is worth 500$. Therefore I am thinking of building my own ledge on post the drawings here for everybody to use. As a mechanical engineer this shouldn't be too difficult :-)

So if anybody could let me know what kind of tubes they us on the BD and Metolius ledges? Need diameter and thickness so that I can calculate stiffness. Detailed pictures of edges, tubing, etc are welcome.

Jorg, Mechanical Engineerd in Norway aka Eurotrash

guanoboy

Jul 21, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Re: Portaledges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent 40 hrs and about $100 on substandard (plumbing) parts on a self-made portaledge. The ledge broke on its virgin voyage in a tree in my yard. I bought a used ledge. You certainly can make your own - i would recommend it if you can machine aluminum blocks for the corners - but expect to put in some time and probably $300 in materials. By the way a regular sewing machine has no problem stitching two pieces of 1" webbing together (which is needed for the support system). Let us know how it goes.
andrew

omenbringer

Jul 21, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I remember right there was a RC member who did exactly what you are suggesting, however, all I remeber about it was that it was called the krusty ledge. For Materials, most comercial ledges are made with high grade aluminum, probably the same you would use for a quality bike, some however, (the fish ledges) use high grade steel. A good place to look for both of these materials would be the Easton website, they sell high grade steel and aluminum for bicycles. For bedding material be sure to use high denier pack cloth nylon, it may be heavier but it will last a lot longer. You shouldn't need more than about 4 square yards of it. The suspension can be hand tied or sewn, but if you sew it you should try to get it sewn on an industrial grade machine and strive to overbuild. If you want it adjustable be sure the buckles are burly Ancra buckles. If you want to insure durability of your ledge, be sure to include some hefty truck tarp(or better yet some of that Metolius durathane stuff) to protect the wall side.

One last piece of advice: try to make the dimensions similar to an existing companies, that way you can just buy a fly rather than trying to make something work. Otherwise ensure that your standard single walled four season tent can sit on the ledge. Hope this helps, and be sure to post pictures.

moof

Jul 21, 2005, 3:59 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, get an econoledge from Fish, www.fishproducts.com. Only $199, way burly, and way better than your first attempt has a hope of being. When you want a fly he'll sell you the 5-season for $250, and it'll be a great fit.

guanoboy

Jul 21, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll second the Fish ledge recommendation. Fish makes quality gear.
andrew

islandclimber

Jul 22, 2005, 4:21 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will third the Fish recommendation. Their ledges are cheap and more than functional

shack

Jul 22, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll fourth that FISH ledge recomendation.
FISH uses Chro-Moly Steel tubing.
It's quite expensive right now so buy the Econoledge before the
price goes up.

jorg

Jul 23, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for your feedback. Considering that US dollar is cheap compared to the norwegian currency, I should prpbabøy just buy one. But where is the fun in that? So I AM going to build one :-) No need to try to convince me otherwise. Any info about FISH, BD or Metolius ledges are welcome. I've already build a belay seat out of carbon fiber, so why not a portaledge.... he he

shack

Jul 24, 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget....you'll need a haul bag for it too!
Are you thinking of making a rainfly too?

krustyklimber

Aug 6, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Omenbringer,

I wasn't sure if anyone around here remembered me, or my homemade ledge.

I did write a "how to" article, which is still exclusive to RC.com, the article can be found here.

I can't believe all the good info that fell through the cracks here?

Doesn't anyone remember "flagging" a ledge, or the PVC "copers" to protect the wall side of a ledge?
I made a sweet pair PVC coper for Smithclimbers Black Diamond ledge, the last I heard they were working great.
(*Note a "coper" is a thing they made to cover the truck on a skateboard, so that they didn't get ground through).

My "Krustyledge" has about 40 nights of use, it's still as good as the day I finished making it.

Russ, @ Fish will sell you the Ancra buckles, and that's what I'd do if I were to do it over.

The Econo Ledge is okay, in a pinch, but not what I'd call "home".

Because a rainfly serves as an attachment point, and how important staying dry is, there's no way I'd attempt to make my own rainfly... after all how many of us (or our mother's) own a radio welding sewing machine?

Krusty http://pages.prodigy.net/.../emoticons/wave1.gif

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook