Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mcgivney_nh

Aug 9, 2005, 1:47 PM
Post #1 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Best Car For Climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I'm getting my license soon and was wondring what the best car is for climbing. I'm planning on road tripping a lot and I have to drive to school day too. Im trying to keep the price pretty low (more money for gear).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

paolo75

Aug 9, 2005, 1:57 PM
Post #2 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Car For Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Renault Kangoo of course! :D And must be yellow!

Partner booger

Aug 9, 2005, 1:59 PM
Post #3 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Renault Kangoo of course! :D And must be yellow!

Only one problem: they don't make those in America... :cry:

My suggestion: a station wagon, preferably Subaru! If you get a used one... good gas mileage, but still enough room for all the shit.

kubi

Aug 9, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #4 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the most reliable car you can possibly find. Having a "sweet ride" doesn't do you any good if it's in the shop.

gunked

Aug 9, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #5 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Good call on the Subaru. One thing to watch out for is the older Subaru's had a problem with under-carriage rusting. I know of at least 3 Subarus from the 80's that had the shocks break through the body right into the car in the rear.

Stick with at least mid-90's Subarus from what I've heard from mechanics.

Outside of Subarus, quite frankly, you could get any cheaper car with good gas mileage and some life left in it. You be amazed what you could road trip in. I once did a New England ice-climbing mini-road trip in an 80's Hyundai excel that had 3 out od 5 gears working and had fairly bald tires. Where there's a will, there's a way.

If you're mechanically inclined and think you might be fixing some stuff yourself (if the occasion arises- or your to poor to have somebody else fix it) I'd recommend some older Toyotas or Hondas. They're easy to replace stuff on. That's just my experience.

I'm sure you'll get alot more advice on this from other forum creepers.

Good Luck,
Jason :D

grk10vq

Aug 9, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #6 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just get something reliable. You can throw your gear into anything. If you camp and road trip a bunch, something you can sleep in is always nice....so take size into account........maybe an old crusty toyota Pick up??? Subaru's are always a staple, or my favorite, the AWD astro van-gut that sucker and go.

bigjonnyc

Aug 9, 2005, 2:20 PM
Post #7 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We usually take my girlfriend's Forester on trips. As long as you don't bring excessive amounts of gear, you can easily fit your stuff in the front and on the back seat floor and have plenty of room to sleep 2 in the back (as long as you're not too tall). Plus, the AWD is nice for those parking areas that are off the beaten path.

dina

Aug 9, 2005, 2:57 PM
Post #8 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one that gets you to the crag and back, of course.
Simple as that!

joeforte

Aug 9, 2005, 3:03 PM
Post #9 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Subaru's are a lil bad on gas, due to the all time AWD. It's a big waste of gas to be driving all 4 wheels on dry summer pavement. Toyota's and VW's are real cheap and easy to fix. Older VW diesels can see 40-45 mpg, which is great for roadtriping. Toyota pickups and older 4runners with the 22re motor can see 300-400,000 miles before the motor needs a rebuild. Absolutely one of the most reliable motors ever built, and they used that basic design for over 20 years, so parts are common and cheap, and nearly any mechanic can work on them. I'll post a pic later of mine... ;-)

overlord

Aug 9, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #10 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id say a station wagon with good mileage.

a nice touch is a flat surface when you tear down the rear seats (so you can sleep in the car more comfortably).

rock_fencer

Aug 9, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #11 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally drive a 98 corolla and it gets kick ass mileage. It sits low unfortunatly but can take quite the beating. I drove to Curahee Mtn in GA and the road up is all gravel with some serious AWD quality trenches and shit. One trench was almost twice the depth of my clearance. I out raced an explorer to the top. Anyways i drive a munaual and if you know how to use the car its kick ass. But you wind up hiking sometimes to get places the car cant go. The new ones get better mileage and have more clearance but i cant say i like their handling. Plus their dirt cheap :-) mine doesnt even have a clock!

joeforte

Aug 9, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #12 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 1987 4-Runner

http://img238.imageshack.us/...oprolledup0hi.th.jpg

All the fun of a jeep, and the room of a station wagon. It's a 4 seater too. Top comes off completely, or you can roll the sides down for rain. Super reliable, gets 24mpg, which is great for a truck. I never pay to sleep anywhere, because the rear seats fold down and it sleeps 2 people comfortably.

http://img238.imageshack.us/...rolleddown2qa.th.jpg

I found one with the offroading package, which includes these nifty little guages on the dash. The guage on the left is an Altimeter, and the two on the right are inclinometers, which tell you if you're about to roll over.

http://img185.imageshack.us/...toyoguages7yf.th.jpg

It's a pretty cool truck, great for road trips. And nothing stops it offroad. Fun Fun Fun

feanor007

Aug 9, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #13 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a 1990 Toyota Camry, with 120,000 miles, and a crap load of bumper stickers. in fact, for a rack of C4's and Aliens you could possibly convince me to part with it :P

montafoner

Aug 9, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #14 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joeforte,

Those are some sweet guages!!! They're not stock are they? Where did you get them and for how much?

cheers,
Montafoner

jerrygarcia

Aug 9, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #15 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1999 Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport. You wont regret it.

reg

Aug 9, 2005, 4:00 PM
Post #16 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

honda element - the only "car" i know of that comes with wire gate ovals! when i saw the biners (used to hold the back seats up when folded off the floor) i was sold. holds tons-o-gear and has a great sound system standard with the ex model.

villageidiot

Aug 9, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #17 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used a 93 subaru legacy quite a bit. There is enough room for gear and the AWD is great for poorly maintained back roads , but the the 20 to 25 mpg isn't too hot.

joeforte

Aug 9, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #18 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those guages are indeed STOCK, suprising as it is. It's a very unique truck. The SR5 models in the 80's came with those guages, and all the 4runners in the mid-late 80's had the removable hardtop. The softtop and rack was my addition.

BTW, the Toyota Camary mentioned earlier is a fantastic car. The corolla and camary models are great cars, and would be perfect as a first car. Great on gas, reliable, cheap to fix, parts are easy to find, plenty of junkyard donor cars if you're a do-it-yourselfer type. If you're not into trucks, I'd vote a corolla for your first car. Early 90's corolla wagons are great cars.

snodawg

Aug 9, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #19 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Subaru's are great but only the newer ones and that is probably out of your budget, especially if you are buying more gear to fill up your ride. I personally like the Toyota truck (king cab). Put a good canopy on it and you can store lots of gear, has room to sleep and lots of room for the BIG Dawg that you have to get to go in the back when your on the way to the lake. My rotty is the best option I have on my truck. You can get into one for a decent price. Look in smaller towns with lots of 4x4's and you can get one fairly inexpensive.

Best of Luck

Peace

e_wire

Aug 9, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #20 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anything cheap on gas... The less gas, the more money in your pocket. More money=more climbing!

mei

Aug 9, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #21 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a car two weeks ago and have already put more than 1000 miles on it. I go climbing almost every weekend, but it is not very often for me to go off road. I'm planning to take the car on road trips, but I'm fine with sleeping outside of the car. Based on these considerations, I came up with following options: Honda CR-V, Honda Element, Subaru Forester and Outback. I got a CR-V in the end. Subarus are nice but the cost of ownership is too high; I'm concerned about the side impact safty of Honda Element.

So far, I'm loving my CR-V, and so do my friends.

joeforte

Aug 9, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #22 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure a "new" car would be the best thing to get for your first car. The element, crv, ect.... are all expensive, new options. A reliable older car would be more suitable for a first car.

joeforte

Aug 9, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #23 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure a "new" car would be the best thing to get for your first car. The element, crv, ect.... are all expensive, new options. A reliable older car would be more suitable for a first car... Also consider insurance.... it's very expensive to insure a new car as a new driver. My old VW golf on the other hand cost me mearly $40 a month to insure when I was a new driver. Another thing to consider is car payments. You can pick up an old toyota corolla wagon or 4X4 pickup for a grand or so. With those new cars mentioned, he'd be looking at a couple hundred dollars a month worth of car payments and insurance.

mei

Aug 9, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #24 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joeforte is right. I missed that fact. I wouldn't recommend to get a new car for your first one either. Actually, I think there are a lot more options if you buy a used car. A used CR-V could be nice. :-)

mcgivney_nh

Aug 9, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #25 of 89 (10610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure a "new" car would be the best thing to get for your first car. The element, crv, ect.... are all expensive, new options. A reliable older car would be more suitable for a first car... Also consider insurance.... it's very expensive to insure a new car as a new driver. My old VW golf on the other hand cost me mearly $40 a month to insure when I was a new driver. Another thing to consider is car payments. You can pick up an old toyota corolla wagon or 4X4 pickup for a grand or so. With those new cars mentioned, he'd be looking at a couple hundred dollars a month worth of car payments and insurance.

Joe that is a great truck you have, I love it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

-Sean

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook