Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
routefinding, beta, on Tenaya Peak - North Butt
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sinshan

Aug 18, 2005, 1:52 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1928 views)
Shortcut

routefinding, beta, on Tenaya Peak - North Butt  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Tuolumne_Meadows: Tenaya_Peak)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,

I'm going to be in Yos soon and was hoping to take on a long trad climb that is a good, yet friendly, introduction to Yosemite granite. I've climbed a handful of long or otherwise committing routes (dreams of wild turkeys in red rocks, liberty bell and static rock in the north cascades, etc) but always as a follower. I've led trad but never been the most "experienced" climber on a climb more then 3 pitches long. Keeping this in mind, I wanted to hear from folks who've climbed North Buttress on Tenaya Peak about the following -

- is the routefinding pretty straightforward, or is it easy to get off track and end up in scary land?
- How long did it actually take you, and how many in your party?
- Is the climbing actually 5.5 and easier, or is it sandbagged?
- Was the descent a nightmare?

Those are the main pieces of info I need to figure out whether I want to try the route while I'm in Yosemite. We'll be there this saturday - if you've done the climb and want to make our group 4 instead of three, I'd be up for talking about it.

Thanks for helpful info -

t.

boltdude

Aug 18, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Re: routefinding, beta, on Tenaya Peak - North Butt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of beta/opinions/etc here:

http://www.supertopo.com/...oute.html?r=tutenort

sinshan

Aug 18, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the response boltdude - I'd checked out Supertopo already. Just wasn't sure about how all the folks made it sound so easy. You know, like if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, etc. etc.

If it's as easy as all that, then no problem, sounds like a fun day.

still looking for opinions. . .

boltdude

Aug 18, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is pretty darn easy for anyone with any slab experience, most of the route goes at 4th class-5.4 or so. While the Supertopo details one possible route to the top, there are many many options.

So if your party is experienced on slabs, no worries. If you have very limited (or no) experience on slabs, it could be a different story.

Also, considering the current thunderstorm cycle, do NOT get on the route if you see puffy clouds - or even a hint of puffy clouds - before 10am.

And if you'll be there for a day or two ahead, check to see if the peak gets hit by a big thunderstorm the day before. If so, there's a good chance that water will be seeping out of much of the route the next day.

sinshan

Aug 18, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Boltdude for the info! I'll definitely be wary of storms. I've got granite slab experience so that's all good (gotta luv slab. . .)

I'm definitely wary of storms. Forecast is for possible thunderstorms Saturday after 2pm. We'll head out early and see what it looks like, but getting caught there is definitely my least favorite idea.

Thanks for the info!!

t.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook