RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

slowly

Sep 28, 2005, 7:11 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Black Cayon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is the last week of Oct/first week of Nov still a good season for the Black Canyon. It'll be my first trip there and I'll be looking for adventure but not an absurd amount if you know what I mean.

Thanks

healyje

Sep 28, 2005, 7:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black Cayon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is the last week of Oct/first week of Nov still a good season for the Black Canyon. It'll be my first trip there and I'll be looking for adventure but not an absurd amount if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Huh!?!? Absurd adventure was invented in Black Canyon - hard to imagine avoiding it...

climbingbetty22

Sep 28, 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No... that will be great time. You won't have to worry about the poison ivy and ticks! :wink:

I've never been there at that time of year, but I was there back in late August. I climbed in long pants and a long sleeve capliene shirt. I was freezing most of the morning. Once the sun hit the wall were on, I was fine, if a smidge warm at times.

pyramid

Oct 1, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gets pretty cold round here in Nov. The Black gets snowy and stuff by
then. :wink:

iceisnice

Oct 1, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm having a hard time remembering, but, i talk to the rangers there last summer and they close the road to the north rim in the beginning of nov. i can't remember if it is a fixed date (nov 1st is ringing a bell) or if they wait till the snow starts to fly. they said they close it as soon as the snow flys because the access road get muddy and they don't want people tearing it up. you should definitely call if you are thinking about nov. i was planning on being there oct 22-25 depending on how much snow has fallen and ice formed.

takeme

Oct 1, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's hit and miss at that time. I've climbed there and had great weather in early November. You might also get snow and the road might close (it's not a fixed date). If you don't want "absurd adventure", pick a climb where you have little or no chance of being benighted, as it gets cold at night in November! Maybe get on something short but spicy (and awesome) like Checkerboard Wall.

cologman

Oct 3, 2005, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunny climbs and a warm spell and you'll be fine. If the weather turns it could be cold as hell though. I was there last Nov 15 and it was too cold to climb that day. Climbed 2 weeks earlier and was fine. Camping will be chilly at night regardless.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook