Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
new devils lake bouldering guide
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

crazyscuba

Oct 6, 2005, 6:13 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2278 views)
Shortcut

new devils lake bouldering guide  (North_America: United_States: Wisconsin: Devil_s_Lake: Devils_Lake_Bouldering)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Myself and another climbing partner of mine have been thinking over the idea of putting out a new guide to devils lake bouldering. The old guide is outdated and not very well done. The author also knowingly left out many of the more secret areas due to many differing reasons. Access, lack of info, and a little bit of selfishness.

After climbing in a more brightly lit arena for the past 2 years I have been putting a lot of thought into the subject. I am very tired of the "me first" attitude that many of the devils lake locals have adopted. A good portion of the devils lake bouldering community has taken the outlook of word of mouth guiding. This is a great idea if people actually use it correctly. I talked to 7 different people until one of them would give me directions to the reserve. 4 to find out about burma. Every single person that wouldnt tell me about the areas had a very selfish reason for it. Overcrowding. They didnt want out of towners at "their" area. They didnt want to masses to know about it.

The main excuse that people have been using to keep their mouths shut has been access. In the past month I have talked to both DNR officials and Devils Lake State Park officials and have taken them to 2 of the areas in question. Their exact quote on both of the areas. "Fix the trails up and go for it. The access is yours."

1. Please give me your honest opinions on this topic.

2. Replies like "Its nice to have certain areas to myself" do not mean anything to us. The rock is there for people to enjoy. Its there for EVERYONE to enjoy. Every time that i have run into people at the more secret areas i've had a blast.

3. Please realize that we havent put the guide togethor yet. we are in the early stages and are wondering what the community has to say about it. While the community doesn't have the entire say it does have some.

4. If you dont think we should put out the guide then give me a reason that you believe is valid. The DNR and DLSP officials have said that access should not be too much of an issue. By doing adopt-a-crag type clean ups that will help access issues immensly.

I apologize for the length of this but we are very interested to see what comes of this. We are hoping for the best.

Steve

dhaulagiri

Mar 22, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazyscuba] new devils lake bouldering guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve, I have been thinking a lot about this as well. Let me know if this is something you are still thinking about because I think it is an awesome idea. Bouldering at the lake is much much better than anyone gives it credit for.

tonloc

Mar 22, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazyscuba] new devils lake bouldering guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree i would be a great thing to do, there is some good bouldering to be had around there. i realize that this is an old post but if there are developments on the subject let me know.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook