Forums: Community: Campground:
Pre employment questionaires are Bullshit!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 4:33 AM
Post #1 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Pre employment questionaires are Bullshit!!
Report this Post
Can't Post

So im going to be home for a couple weeks during xmas and thought i would apply to some jobs so i can finance my hueco trip for the second half of break.
To work at several places they require an online questionaire which determines whether you would be a good employee or not............

Its nothing but dumb irrelevant bullshit!!!! ive been rejected from getting an interview more than once because of these idiotic corporate machines!!! i have a perfect work record yet i continually do not pass the questionaires.

I hate everything about fucking corporations!!!

-except pay& phatty employee discounts-

curt

Oct 27, 2005, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pre employment questionaires are s---!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...I hate everything about fucking corporations!!!

And, you are truly puzzled as to why you fail these pre-employment tests?

Curt

kachoong

Oct 27, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #3 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ive been rejected from getting an interview more than once because of these idiotic corporate machines!!! i have a perfect work record yet i continually do not pass the questionaires.
....you have to remember that crossing "E) All of the above" is only there to trick you.... :wink:

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #4 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...I hate everything about f---ing corporations!!!

Curt

Im a good worker, even if i am working for a gigantic evil corporation. I dont understand what these questionaires want? I am honest and dont see how i could fail something like this. If you want to take the 35 minutes and fill one out go for it!!!

Partner ctardi

Oct 27, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #5 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

give us an example of one...

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #6 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
give us an example of one...

Go to any big corp. site. (best buy, target, sportmart) Fill out 25 minutes worth of personal info then take it if you want ! or i could try to google it but my comp is slow and 8 am classes are kicking my ass. (im just lazy)

curt

Oct 27, 2005, 5:14 AM
Post #7 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
...I hate everything about f---ing corporations!!!

Curt

Im a good worker, even if i am working for a gigantic evil corporation. I dont understand what these questionaires want? I am honest and dont see how i could fail something like this. If you want to take the 35 minutes and fill one out go for it!!!

I don't doubt at all that you are a good worker. However, rest assured that these tests will reveal to the employer whether or not you "hate everything about fucking corporations." I am guessing that once they determine this, your chances of landing the job go down somewhat.

Curt

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 5:21 AM
Post #8 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i googled it, and i found this, kind of humorous.

From http://www.securtest.com/sti2.htm
"Customers will not use a pre-employment test unless it works. The SecurTest System has been field validated by employers from varied industries. One major national fast food chain discovered the power of this unique system. It found in the first 2,000 applicants the following:

12 admitted to murder
3% admitted in the questionnaire to planning to kill a supervisor
7% admitted hitting a customer or co-worker in the last 24 months
6% said they had been in a fist fight at work in the last two years
5% were daily users of illegal drugs other than marijuana
6% admitted in the questionnaire to using an illegal drug on the job in the last 4 months"
-although this is nothing like mine i find it funny that an employment quesitonaire can get someone to admit to murder!

The questions in mine are almost never centered toward the corporations but more like "when i am around people i am outgoing" or "i tend to be the leader in the group" then you agree or disagree on a scale of 1-4. they repeat the questions multiple times looking for a non consistency.

curt

Oct 27, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #9 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

"Customers will not use a pre-employment test unless it works. The SecurTest System has been field validated by employers from varied industries. One major national fast food chain discovered the power of this unique system. It found in the first 2,000 applicants the following:

12 admitted to murder
6% admitted in the questionnaire to using an illegal drug on the job in the last 4 months"

I'll take a wild guess and bet that those folks didn't get hired either. :D

Curt

overlord

Oct 27, 2005, 6:30 AM
Post #10 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

12 admitted to murder

I'll take a wild guess and bet that those folks didn't get hired either. :D

Curt

and im also guessing at least some of them were joking :twisted:

bmxer

Oct 27, 2005, 6:44 AM
Post #11 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those questions eveulate pretty much how much of a stupid peasant/loyal you are. They are looking for dumb ignorance.

For example there's questions like

"if you saw someone stealing from the register would you tell the manager?"

and then they'll ask the same question 4 different ways. The trick is to get you to show individuality. Don't do it, answer what they want you to hear.
They trick is they set the questions up to trick you w/ cleverly worded moral questions. To see if you think for yourself or if your an idiot working for the co.

oops, lol (Answer what you know they want to hear.)

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #12 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think one mistake i made is that i described myself as a strong leader??
Maybe they dont want the peasant employees to take charge in a situation?

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2005, 2:22 PM
Post #13 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You MUST get the URL for one of the test that YOU took. Do it in service to the rc.com community! We will all(well, some of us....) take the online test for shits and giggles!

I remeber when I was a kid, wanting a job at the PDQ(a quick shop store). This was before online, but not before they'd figured out how to separate the herds....

I am pretty sure that I failed the 'If you saw a fellow employee stealing a candy bar, would you tell?" question, when I answered it something like "If it was the first time, I would tell them it was wrong and ask them to purchase it, but if it was someone who did it all the time, then yes, I would tell."

I still am not sure if there just simply is no right answer to that question. C'mon....if someone is going to be running to the manager when Sally swipes a rollof Starburst , isn't that same employee likely to go running to the manager for every little picayune item? (Believe me, I know how this can rankle management's nerves....I have one of those goody-two shooz working for me now. I just have to keep telling myself "At least she's too stupid to lie to me" when she does things like calling the client while they are traveling in Africa to ask them to have someone buy a roll of paper towels because she used them all up.....).

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #14 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sheeeet....

I just tried the Best Buy one and flunked out before I even got to the 20 questions phase of employment......

The f'ckers get all your personal info, including SS #, and then after you supply it all, a windo pops up telling you "Thanks! Now we'll just be doing a background check on you before seeing if you're good enough to sluff off on our corportae dollar!"

grrr.... I gave bogus contact info. And the site collects cookies. I can't find out of I am too much a criminal to get to the questions, and if I reapply form this computer...they'll know! :tinfoilhat: I'm foiled!

kimmyt

Oct 27, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #15 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hah. I failed one of those once, on that principle Terrie. I said, "if I'm honest, but my answers are still moderate in that I wouldn't break any laws, but I sure as hell am not gonna blow smoke up their ass as to what a goody-two-shoes I am they'll still hire me".

Wrong.

I think I decided to tell the truth cause I really didn't want to work in retail anyway.

K.

shakylegs

Oct 27, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #16 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The f'ckers get all your personal info, including SS #, and then after you supply it all, a windo pops up telling you "Thanks! Now we'll just be doing a background check on you before seeing if you're good enough to sluff off on our corportae dollar!"

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but up here no one is allowed to ask your SIN (same as SS) until they offer you a job. Utilities can't ask for it, landlords can't ask for it, etc. If fact, you can go through the entire interview process and never give it up, until you're hired and they need that number for tax purposes.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #17 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shaky - I went on the BestBuy website, under "Careers" and tried to apply to the store workers job slot((not managaement, just the selling floor/stock person type of gig). One of the first items asked was the SS #, and I believe it was one of the boldface "required" questions.....

shakylegs

Oct 27, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #18 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, and you can still refuse to give it up.
From this site

In reply to:
Employers

Employers are required by the IRS to get the SSNs of people they hire. They often ask for it during the interview process, but there are good reasons to refuse if you can afford to argue with the potential employer. Some of them use the SSN to check credit records, to look for criminal history, and otherwise to delve into your past in areas you might object to. Tell them you'll give them your SSN when you accept their offer. They have no legitimate use for it before then.

So, if you're feeling litiginous, you could always make a formal complaint. However, the employer has the power, especially for low-level jobs, because they know they'll get no complaints from applicants.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 27, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #19 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting.

Of course, you're correct that someone who wants/needs the job is going to submit. It doesn't take much of a brain to realize that one won't be getting a job if they balk at the corporate machinations.

Edit: You know, I was gointg to email BestBuy and ask why they request the SS#, but the document you referenced doesn't say that it is illegal to request it before being hired....I guess that's just a loophole, there.... The BestBuy site DOES outright say, aftre you've supllied them with your information, that they WILL do a background check on all potential candidates, before moving forward on the process....

OP - maybe this sort of thing is why you don't like the corp world? The good news is, there are still some independantly owned/operated businesses.....why not try to work for one of them?

mistymountainhop

Oct 27, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #20 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone is interested, i managed to pass circuit city.

The only thing i did different was answer the questions instantly without thinking too much about them. Meh.

rainontin

Oct 28, 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #21 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always try the George Costanza approach and give the exact opposite answer than what you originally were going to give. "If every instinct you have is wrong, than the opposite must be right..."

iltripp

Oct 28, 2005, 1:26 AM
Post #22 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a job interview at a restaurant once... Outback I think.

I went to the interview, filled out some paperwork, talked to the manager... things were going well. Then, he popped the question and asked me to fill out a short personality test.

A week or so later, I called back and was informed that I "don't have the personality we were looking for". It's kind of a slap in the face to be told that your personality is lacking... You'd think that a good manager should be able to tell enough about someone by meeting them.

atg200

Oct 28, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #23 of 23 (981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kinda silly though, because places that will run a background or credit check on you will still do it after giving an offer, and will bail on the offer if you fail. my last job required a credit check because i had to have a corporate card with no limit to deal with traveling, and a background check and drug test because i worked on a lot of defense department contracts. if i had made a stink about a SSN i doubt i would have been offered a job. why should a company hire a pain in the ass when there are generally at least 10 applicants for every job?

In reply to:
Yup, and you can still refuse to give it up.
From this site

In reply to:
Employers

Employers are required by the IRS to get the SSNs of people they hire. They often ask for it during the interview process, but there are good reasons to refuse if you can afford to argue with the potential employer. Some of them use the SSN to check credit records, to look for criminal history, and otherwise to delve into your past in areas you might object to. Tell them you'll give them your SSN when you accept their offer. They have no legitimate use for it before then.

So, if you're feeling litiginous, you could always make a formal complaint. However, the employer has the power, especially for low-level jobs, because they know they'll get no complaints from applicants.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook