Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

philfell

Oct 28, 2005, 4:50 AM
Post #126 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Absolute best place to live? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Park City Utah. Close to the cottonwoods (not that much further drive than downtown SLC), not as many mos as the valley, ski areas at your doorstep, some of the best Mt. Bikeing in the state, close to the Unitahs, OK nightlife, 40min. to the airport..........

mtmountaineer

Oct 28, 2005, 5:05 AM
Post #127 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever you do-DO NOT GO TO MONTANA! The winters are hellish and they literally never end. There isn't any climbing to be had, and worst of all there are no hardmen-only fat, lazy bigots. If you're an outdoorsy midwesterner, then you should definately go to where the action is! California, Texas, Colorado, Utah and Rhode Island would all make for a superior outdoorsy place to live! So check it out, but for the love of god, do not go to Montana!

live2climb

Oct 28, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #128 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your in to climbing and bikes go for MOAB MOAB MOAB you will be amazed

porcelainsunset

Oct 29, 2005, 9:39 PM
Post #129 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, alright I'll admit it. Texas is a waste of time. I was trying to be positive because I'm stuck here until atleast July (apt lease) and didn't want to start crying at work thinking about how much I'd rather live near some mountains. Thanks for reminding me. Bastards.

The only thing we have going for us is no state income tax. The summers are oppressively hot (May-October = 90-105 degrees + 95% humidity) and the land is so flat that overpasses are considered hills.

The people here tend to be a bit too proud of being from Texas, but quite why they feel this way still escapes me. I'm sure we're not as fake as Southern California but I've never been there, so all I know is that compared to Seattle, Hartford, Northern Jersey, Charlotte and other cities in TX... the people here are a combination of being overly nice (older people) and overly fake-nice (young people).

Oh, and being told that everything that could ever happen to you, good or bad, is "god's will" gets really damn old, really damn fast. Living around these fanatical people pretty well convinced me that I am somewhat sane and that the quickest way to end an annoying conversation is to simply say, "I'm an atheist." No really, it is a really fun way to cut out someone's beating heart (like in Indiana Jones) and watch people squirm. Good times.

So, I'll amend my statement and suggest that no one in their right mind should move to Texas unless they want to be convinced that where they are currently living is actually not all that bad.

My personal vote is somewhere in Colorado, like Boulder or Denver depending on the industry in which you work.

Sorry Karma, didn't intend to be to be to hard on you. Hahaha. Sorry to here that your suck in Texas, I really do have some sympathy for you. Didn't mean to burst your bubble of false convictions about the hell hole your living in.

On another note, I've spent a lot of time in Canada, and if I was to move anywhere out of the states, it would most definitely be either Calgary or Banff, which is a National Park located right out of Calgary. I've been to Alberta like 5 times, and have had a blast every time. Way better than BC.

However, I still hold that Portland is the most livable city in the states, especially for young outdoor enthusiast. Have I mentioned wind surfing/kite boarding yet?

markguycan

Oct 29, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #130 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Taking cost of living, night life, and outdoor activities, I would probably have to say Reno, NV. It is close to Tahoe without the taxes of CA, climbing at Donner, Yosemite National Park, Owens, and countless other smaller areas to climb. Tahoe is also awesome for snowboarding or skiing. I am not sure on the job availability though?? Tahoe I would imagine has jobs and it is a short commute. The weather is ok not as rainy as Squamish, but Squamish is much more beautiful. I grew up in Telluride and now it is expensive, I lived in North Lake Tahoe and it is pricey, my favorite place in the US where I lived is San Diego though longer drives but beautiful weather (expensive). Take a month and drive from San Diego to San Francisco and then across on the 80 to Reno and down the 395 you will get to see everything that way. If it is your choice it has to feel right to you. Good Luck
I have to agree w/ noeman. I lived in Reno for 8yrs and climbed 3-4days a week- plenty variety to keep you from getting burned out. 'Course now I live somewhere better- not sayin' where cause I don't want to see it get crowded!

litleclimberchick

Oct 29, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #131 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hands down: VENTURA, CALIFORNIA.

that is crazy talk...

:?

dynamicpanda

Oct 30, 2005, 1:47 AM
Post #132 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Asheville, NC is always ranked very highly as an outdoorsy city.

Asheville has turned into more of a "wanna be outdoorsy town" than an actually mellow cool outdoorsy town

I'd say somewhere in Werst Virginia or Boone

Why do you say this?

crackmd

Oct 30, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #133 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I have to agree w/ noeman. I lived in Reno for 8yrs and climbed 3-4days a week- plenty variety to keep you from getting burned out. 'Course now I live somewhere better- not sayin' where cause I don't want to see it get crowded!

I hope to be living in that "better" place come next July and can't wait to climb with you Mark.

porcelainsunset

Nov 6, 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #134 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I hope to be living in that "better" place come next July and can't wait to climb with you Mark.

Aren't we all looking for that 'better place?' I mean, Portland's cool, but there has got to be some place better. And no, I don't think that it's Squamish.

desrtrockrat

Nov 6, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #135 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe Flagstaff. Its a bit smaller of a town but it has most of what you want in terms of outdoors within 30-40 minuets, good people and all four seasons.

Flagstaff is a great town for the outdoor enthusiast. There are complaints about low paying jobs, but Arizona is growing fast, and Flag is no exception. Being architects I'm sure you could find something.

In terms of climbing we've got over a 1000 boulder problems and amazing trad scattered within a 40 minuet radius. Your an hour from the Grand Canyon. The mountain Snow Bowl can have great years for skiing and its base is essentially the town. Sick mountain biking everywhere. However the population is around 50k, so compared to the Bay area we are definitely lacking in urban culture.
If your in the area its worth a look. At very least you could climb for a week as you checked it out. There good climbing all year round if you know where to go. Ask around and it won't be hard to find.

osloklatrer

Nov 11, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #136 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to Norway :lol: Its true, Norway rules.
There are much rock, ice, rivers and alot of nature which you can do whatever you want in,(eh, not whatever you want :lol: )

YO, Norway

climbingaggie03

Nov 11, 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #137 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about france, I've suddenly forgotten where exactly, but I know the south of france has some world class limestone sport climbing, then there's skiing in the alps, and great french food, and you could join in the riots, if that's your thing.

bvb

Nov 11, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #138 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hands down: VENTURA, CALIFORNIA.

that is crazy talk...

:?

yeah, a good buddy of mine quit his swank job at patagonia, packed up the family, and moved to flagstaff. after four years there they couldn't handle the place another day.

climbing_happiness

Nov 11, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #139 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other than the heat, which you can retreat from by heading up north during the summer, I think that AZ is a nice place to live also. There is hiking, biking, climbing etc everywhere. What's best about this place is the winter, the weather is amazing. During the non-summer weekends (Phx itself has only two seasons, summer and not summer) you have your choice of staying in town to climb or heading up north to ski/snow-board and the trip north only takes a couple of hours. You are also close to a lot of great climbing states that may be too expensive to live in. But, if you're really keen on weather, then try Prescott, smaller size but with all the same amenities.

bvb

Nov 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #140 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My girlfriend will finish collage this May
you might want to get your money back.

craftedpacket

Jun 1, 2006, 2:15 PM
Post #141 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Texas, and everytime I talk about moving to Utah...all I hear about is crazy Mormons. I dont define myself by any one religion...are mormons really a problem in Utah? I have been told that if your not a Mormon you will never really be accepted. For those folks in Utah...how true is this?

fortfun

Jun 1, 2006, 3:06 PM
Post #142 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I live in Texas, and everytime I talk about moving to Utah...all I hear about is crazy Mormons. I dont define myself by any one religion...are mormons really a problem in Utah? I have been told that if your not a Mormon you will never really be accepted. For those folks in Utah...how true is this?

The climbing community and "Mormon community" are two very different things. You will fit in just fine with the climbers, and be able to find many friends. Most of the people sayin stuff about the Mormons have no idea what they are talking about. Good neighbors, clean, etc.
I moved to CO 3yrs ago from SLC and kinda miss the "Mormon stigma" keeping people away. Also the canyons/resorts are empty on Sundays.

The climbing and skiing there are awesome, not to mention much more accessible Vs. Front Range, CO.

p.s. way to resurect a thread.

craftedpacket

Jun 1, 2006, 3:21 PM
Post #143 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. So is finding a job in Utah...if your not mormon...become a problem? I have also considered CO as a place to live. I have never visted either. I am about 4 years or so out while I wait for for the misses and myself to finnish up school, just looking at all of the options early. The drive to Moab isnt that bad from Boulder (living in texas 5 hours isnt a bad drive). So getting to utah every now and then doesnt seem to be that big of a deal.

fortfun

Jun 1, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #144 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finding a job in Utah is independant of religion in all but the smallest of companies. (it is like that everywhere)
My wifes first job here she was the only non Jehova's Witness in a small company.

soillclimber

Jun 1, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #145 of 145 (14541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best bet for a cheaper place to live (relative to CA, CO, AZ and UT) is Chattanooga, TN. SOOOO much climbing within an hour. Sooo many options for day trips and weekends (Red, New, Asheville, So Ill, etc). I am not familiar with skiing in the area. And the summers are hot. But swimming and water soloing are great cross training.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook