Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

topher

Jul 18, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #26 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Do many people my age climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WELL im 17 and i have no problem finding parteners, mind you most of the people i climb with are in the 20-30 rang, but who cares there all cool, and have more gear than me so i cant conplain. its fun. as for the why dont you go to comps to meet people, my answear to that is that why would i want to ruin the best thing by comping. i would rather go to a climbing gym or better yet just go climb or boulder and meet more people that way.

porcelainsunset

Oct 30, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #27 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

lots o kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 19, and started climbing when I was like 15? Not really sure. I had one friend help me into the sport, because I was introduced at like 13 at a boyscout camp, when I took the merit badge, and climbed on real rock for the first time. At first it was only Sam and I, and then Sam started flaking out. So then I taught Miles, and he started flaking out. Then I tought Brit, and he went to college. Then I started to teach girls. Taught my good friend Rashauna by taking her on a three day road trip for her first climbing experience at Smith Rock, and then I taught my girlfriend. My advice to you, is that if you don't have friends who climb, make your friends into climbers. Most people would love to climb, but just dont have the access to the sport. Thats where you come in, teach those who already seem interested, and help them turn into climbers.

Also, I got on a team when I was 18, and climbed inside for a while, but quit maily because I didnt want to be competitive about climbing, and more just wated to enjoy myself, which climbing teams dont really have that outlook, but also, because everybody else was like 12, and nobody wanted to be my friend because I was way older and could only boulder like V2 while they where all like bouldering V6. I got my ass handed to me many times by kids half my age. There are plently of young, good climbers. However, most dont have the rope skills or knowlege to go out and do multi-pitch or trad routes.

squierbypetzl

Oct 30, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #28 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Re: lots o kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm 19...

Mate, this thread is 3 years old... the OP is probably 19 right now too. :D

I was less than 12 years old when I first started climbing... good times...

kricir

Oct 30, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #29 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

young ones [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HA! what a great thread! Yea, I was also bitten at a young age, leading trad and alpine routes by the time I was 13. I, as Im sure alot of you out there, climbed with my father, and often others who saw us thought, oh, that man must of gotten his son into climbing. How wrong they were, for in fact it was the other way around. My dad and I climbed for our selves, and never took any classes, or hired a guide. When I was 16, we climbed to the rim of Mt. Ranier, with knots in our rope every 3-4 feet. This was so if my dad fell in a crevasse, the knots would hopefully dig into the edge, making it possible for me to stop him (I was allot lighter than he in those days). We climbed much faster than all of the other parties that day (except the climbing rangers) And were suprized at how east the going had been. Still, afraid of the large ice fall danger dew to reallly high daytime temps, we pulled the plug short of the top. Few of us climb outside, even fewer trad, even less alpine. I always loved being the only teen leading ice in Ouray. Now, at 19, I'm climbing harder that ever, to all you young ones out there, KEEP CRANKING!

squeakyclimber

Oct 30, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #30 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

18, climbing for 2.5 years and I already have 2 walls under my belt.

If you really try you can learn a lot in a short time.

blitzkrieg_climber13

Oct 30, 2005, 6:43 AM
Post #31 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya im 16 and have climbed seriously for about 7 months and am totally addicted and having withdrawals cuz i was trying to show off and tried a first joint 2finger pull up and popped a tendon. well ill be back in a couple days. if anyone climbs at boulderdash gimme a pm and lets hit it.

ninja_climber

Oct 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #32 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for about a year now, started back when I was still in the states. I definatly had no shortage of climbing friends. YOu can find a lot f people are age at the gym, bcause they don't have the resources or rope skills to go outside and climb. I didn't either thats why me and my friends always hooked up with older, more experianced climbers and went on climbing trips with them. Last roadtrip we had was 3 days at HP40 ( Yes, I know that doesn't involve rope skills). Go to your local gym and find some people. Ask the staf to help you out if you need to. I worked at a RC gym for a couple months before I left to go overseas and I had a couple people come up to me and ask me where the could find younger climbers to climb with. Good Luck

porcelainsunset

Nov 4, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #33 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm 19...

Mate, this thread is 3 years old... the OP is probably 19 right now too. :D

I was less than 12 years old when I first started climbing... good times...

Well then, guess I brought up an old forum. God knows how I found it, should probably check the date when I stumble across stuff like this eh? Oh well, people seem to still be interested.

alcyone

Nov 5, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #34 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lots! I see many many teens at my gym. they mostly boulder so I don't see them so much (I hang around the route area), but they are plentiful.

Haha, I'm one of those teens! Only I don't boulder. Anyone who needs climbing parters our age (I'm 17) needs to come to Tucson, there's plenty of us here and we go outside pretty frequently...well not so much anymore since we're in college and none of us brought our cars - victims of bad planning.

jeldship

Nov 5, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #35 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

--i read that the new president of the american alpine club wants to focus on developing climbing for younger climbers here in america--when i was looking for a partner myself to climb in the alps--being much older than those listed on this thread, i became aware that the euro alpine clubs sponsor a lot of weekend outings of groups led by experienced climbers to teach and share ideas on climbing --that is without charging them. here i think the AMC maybe more hiking, i don't know but i do remember reading about the american alpine club thing. maybe you should form a group and write to their new president and found out if they are doing anything yet. just an idea i thought i would pass along.

Partner hosh

Nov 5, 2005, 9:56 PM
Post #36 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Do many people my age climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm 16 and I boulder, sport, and trad climb. Just wondering really cuz its really hard to find people my age that I can climb with.

~Matthew

nope, you're the only one. possibly the only one ever in the history of climbing.

hosh.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook