RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tarzan420

Aug 3, 2002, 2:14 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Washing shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a pair of 5.10 spires that i've been wearing now for about 6 months, and frankly, they're nasty. Is there any particularly good way to wash them? A little shrinkage is OK, they're a little big now. Any suggestions for getting slimy foot gunk off of them?

peace
aaron

marcel

Aug 3, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Washing shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lightly wash the outsides with a spong, brush and warm soapy water. The insides you can use spray Lysol or some other spray disinfectant. I use to own a climbing gym and we always washed the insides of the rental shoes with a spray disinfectant. I forget the brand but I like the spay that foamed. The foaming disinfectants seemed to do a great job of getting rid of the smell. Just air dry and the shoes should be great. (Oh, a stainless steel brush will help get the soles and rand back to new.)

nutterd

Aug 3, 2002, 4:06 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have always washed my 5.10 Moccasyms by dunking them in a sinkful of hot soapy water and scrubbing the gunk from the inside with a toothbrush. Shrinks 'em up a little, gets rid of the stink, and doesn't damage the leather. Eventually, if there's a paper midsole (like in the Moccasym), it may degrade. I've had Moccasyms last 2 years and 3-4 resoles though, so something sturdier like Spires should hold up. Oh, yeah. Dry them in the sun and they'll shrink a bit more, dry faster, smell less.

Hey Folks! Give me a rating!

aarong

Aug 5, 2002, 4:42 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I soaked mine in Hydrogen Peroxide overnight then threw them in the washing machine. They smell much better now.

I think a baking soda and water mixture might work well too.

rocknpowda

Aug 5, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, Your shoes will stay funk free longer if you don't wear sandals on the approach. That same sandal schmeg between your feet and your sandals transfers easily to the inside of your climbing shoes.

A wire brush and rubbing alcohol is the reccomended method to clean and re-stickify your sticky rubber too.

overlord

Aug 5, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

didnt peroxide damage the rubber??? i would newer do that with mine. btw, how concetrated was it???

CLIMB ON

hollyclimber

Aug 5, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Foot powder in the shoes works pretty well.
Also, if your feet sweat a lot, you might want to use the foot powder every time you climb.

indigo_nite

Aug 5, 2002, 6:35 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe this topic already exists but I don't remember where (general or beginner if not gear).

I haven't tried this but read a recommendation for tevas that you could kill smelly bacteria by freezing them. I haven't tried it because of concern about climbing shoe rubber but might someday experiment with a pair of retired shoes. A friend likes spraying Fabreeze.

climbsomething

Aug 5, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I am lazy, I just address the symptom, not the problem That said, I de-stink my Ana Veclros wth Clorox Fresh Care (like Fabreeze but smells better ) To slog the dirt, chalk, and gym floor mank off the soles/rands, I scrub down with a piece of sandpaper, then go over the rubber again with a cotton ball/rag/whatever soaked in rubbing alcohol. Also, as a general note, I always leave my climbing shoes out where they can "breathe" (safely away from my jerky dogs, of course!) This cuts down on the stank potential...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook