Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

etrockerchik

Nov 6, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #1 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

climbing=weight gain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey ladies-
I've been climbing for a year. I guess you could say I'm a slim/athletic build, but since I started climbing, I've gained almost 20 pounds. My metabolism is all wacky now. I know a lot of it is muscle, but I've also finally grown boobs, a pudgy tummy ( despite situps) and a little booty. I'm not sure why this is.

Now, I have to admit- I eat a lot of junk. But what I'm curious about is what I should be eating. What foods contain protein (I know, stupid question) and which foods should I avoid? And, for the record, I WILL NOT GIVE UP CARBS!! I love them.

Any advice?
Thanks
etrockerchik

htotsu

Nov 6, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing=weight gain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's interesting - my first thought was just that muscle weighs more, so not to be concerned about the numbers. But since you mention some "pudge" issues, I guess we would need to know more. Climbing will not, of course, cause you to gain pudge. Muscle? Yes. Pudge? No.

So what were you doing before you climbed? Did you replace some other excercise activity with climbing (like did you run 5 miles a day before, or something like that)? Anthing else major change in your lifestyle lately?

etrockerchik

Nov 6, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's the thing. I did NOTHING before I started climbing. I was the laziest person ever. As a college student, all I ate was processed foods like spaghettios and ramen and other junk. I slept all the time and never exercised.

It's kind of mind boggling. I'm only 22.

The pudge isn't bad....yet- but it's getting there.

harmonydoc

Nov 6, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #4 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very few women can eat whatever junk food they want and do "never exercise" and maintain a slim figure, and the older you get the more important it is to pay attention. You don't have to give up carbs, you just have to educate yourself and be aware of your habits. You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...order=asc&highlight=

Partner missedyno

Nov 6, 2005, 7:01 PM
Post #5 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i started climbing i was slim

i felt so athletic at first, i started eating whatever i wanted.

i gained about 15 pounds.

it wasn't all muscle.

i've gotten control of my diet and also bike around the city as my transportation...

lost it all, feel a lot better. my metabolism wasn't as high as i thought....

oh and to answer your question, my diet was high fibre cereal for breakfast, el salidos massivos for lunch (lots of veggies), a bagel in the afternoon (mmm carrrrbs), and whatever i wanted for dinner (within reason). 2 litres + of water a day, less coffee, no eating within 2 hours of bed.

etrockerchik

Nov 6, 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #6 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow....perfect. Thanks. I really apprecaite the info.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Nov 7, 2005, 2:28 AM
Post #7 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wait til you hit your 30s muhahahahaha ;)

blk

nola_angie

Nov 7, 2005, 5:54 AM
Post #8 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*sigh* At the gym I used to climb at in New Orleans, I used to cook for the regulars once or twice a week. All in an effort to keep fast food outta their systems at least a coupla times a week.

I'm a huge high-protein person. I say keep a few things at hand all the time. I usually have no less that 10 thingies of yogurt, a few boxes of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (high protein 14%, high fiber, low sodium), a few basics in the 'frige, just a microwave away. (PM me if you want some recipes- I usually spend 1 day cooking vats of food, and the rest just eating the leftovers- works like a charm, and cheap as all get go!) Also, cheese is another good one.

Part of the reason for the pudge gain- have you ever thought of how much sodium you put into your body with fast food? There is a lot of water retention issues that can cause.

Also, have you just started or changed birth control pills?

you're only 22! Get some great habits NOW that will hold you through a healthy, active life (uh, tho, I smoke, so I'll hop of that soapbox).

harmonydoc

Nov 7, 2005, 6:54 AM
Post #9 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wait til you hit your 30s muhahahahaha

Well, I'm in better shape now at 36 than I was at 22. It takes work, though - regular weight training and cardio, and really watching my food intake ... emphasis on high fiber, low fat, high protein.

Angie, I agree, Kashi and yogurt (lowfat or nonfat) are both staples for me. Also boca burgers (I eat a fair amount of soy), eggbeaters, "complete protein" grainy bread. Cheese is tasty, but I have to watch it because it's high fat so the calories stack up pretty quickly. I get a lot of my staples from Trader Joe's. Unfortunately I don't cook, so I eat a fair amount of packaged microwave stuff.

granite_grrl

Nov 7, 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #10 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(PM me if you want some recipes- I usually spend 1 day cooking vats of food, and the rest just eating the leftovers- works like a charm, and cheap as all get go!)

I love to eat like this, suck it up and cook for an evening, and then eat left overs all the following week. Problem is that I'm not much of a cook, and I only have a few staple dishes that I tend to do this with.

If you could share some high volume, good for you recipes I know I'd appreciate it.

ecocliffchick

Nov 7, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #11 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The number one tip for healthy eating:
Shop the perimeter of the grocery store.

Stick to fresh foods - not packaged crap. Some high protein staples in my diet include
(1) yogurt (find a brand with a high protein to carb ratio, I like the Astro 2% plain yogurt) - 6 g protein in 1/2 cup
(2) cottage cheese - 15 g protien in 1/2 cup
(3) egg whites - 5 g protein each
(4) Yves Hot'n Spicey Veggie Dogs - 13 g protein each
(5) Yves Veggie Ground Round (ground beef substitute) - 60 g protein in the package

aja

Nov 7, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #12 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be good to your heart, think about what you are putting into your body. Everything that you digest is broken down...the good, the bad, the ugly.

The Good; fruit, fresh veggies, protein, essential fatty acids, etc.
The Bad; processed foods, etc.
The Ugly; partially hydrogenated oils, particularly SOYBEAN oil, trans fats, it's poison and you'll be astonished as to how many foods you will find these toxins lurking in! Don't forget the fried foods too.

The Good; we fuel our bodies, use it and burn it, support cell wall function, digestive tract operation, glandular function and immune system operation...to name a few.
The Bad; some fats get burned, while others get stored.
The Ugly; goes into our arteries and roots itself waiting for the other artery clogging (Big Mac's for example) vultures to join them and surprise (not really) now you have blockage! They are also a contributing factor to other disease's such as arthritis and multiple sclerosis. Partially hydrogenated oils interfere w/ our ability to ingest and utilize the good fats. Here's a visual. Trans fats block out the fatty acids, the fatty acids sit and wait to get into the cell. While they wait they have to find a place to bivy, if you will. After time, a colony has formed (fat cells). As more bivy's (fat) fill the colony things start to "swell." It's not a pleasant sight at this point, realizing that the colony is your tummy, booty, hips, face and neck! Scary, but this can be prevented.

8,000,000 American women are living w/ heart disease, it's the number #1 leading cause of death among American women.
I lost my mother to is when I was 17, she was 53 years young.

Shanti'
aj

jt512

Nov 7, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #13 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Be good to your heart, think about what you are putting into your body. Everything that you digest is broken down...the good, the bad, the ugly.

The Ugly; partially hydrogenated oils, particularly SOYBEAN oil, trans fats, it's poison and you'll be astonished as to how many foods you will find these toxins lurking in! Don't forget the fried foods too.

The Good; we fuel our bodies, use it and burn it, support cell wall function, digestive tract operation, glandular function and immune system operation...to name a few.
The Ugly; goes into our arteries and roots itself waiting for the other artery clogging (Big Mac's for example) vultures to join them and surprise (not really) now you have blockage! They are also a contributing factor to other disease's such as arthritis and multiple sclerosis. Partially hydrogenated oils interfere w/ our ability to ingest and utilize the good fats. Here's a visual. Trans fats block out the fatty acids, the fatty acids sit and wait to get into the cell. While they wait they have to find a place to bivy, if you will. After time, a colony has formed (fat cells). As more bivy's (fat) fill the colony things start to "swell." It's not a pleasant sight at this point, realizing that the colony is your tummy, booty, hips, face and neck! Scary, but this can be prevented.

8,000,000 American women are living w/ heart disease, it's the number #1 leading cause of death among American women.

Shanti'
aj

Although the recommended and unrecommended food list here is good, the rationale is inaccurate, to put it mildly.

Jay

nola_angie

Nov 8, 2005, 4:40 AM
Post #14 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay, I'm not mean enough to post all those recipes here, and I'm not cool enough to have my own web page. What I do have is a LiveJournal account, and I posted the recipes there. It's about 5 of my faves, along with a quick list of some fast snacks that are really good for you. Remember, a recipe is a guideline. They are fluid things, to be altered at your whim. Have fun!

Just about all the things I cook are great wrapped in a tortilla with a bit of cheese and sour cream, too! (or, with some scrambled egg whites, cheese and green chiles!)

just follow this link. (don't know if this will post as a link, or if you have to cut and paste!)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/housegirl/65777.html

Partner missedyno

Nov 8, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #15 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's the clickable link.

and wow, thanks! i was hoping you'd post some... these are great ideas... i am SO SICK of the recipes i have now for cook a lot eat it all week meals.

thanks again!

Partner macherry

Nov 8, 2005, 3:48 PM
Post #16 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Shanti'
aj

Although the recommended and unrecommended food list here is good, the rationale is inaccurate, to put it mildly.

Jay

then jay clue us in, why is her rationale innacurate

jt512

Nov 8, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #17 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Shanti'
aj

Jay

then jay clue us in, why is her rationale innacurate

Rather than attempt to correct all the nonsense in the post, I'll point out the one thing that she is correct about: trans-fatty acids are not good for you. They increase the risk of heart disease by raising LDL-cholesterol, fasting serum triglyceride, and Lp(a); lowering HDL-cholesterol; and possibly by interfering with the metabolism of omega-3 fatty acids. Trans fatty acids are found in fried foods, some margarines, and in partially hydrogenated fats used in many processed foods.

Jay

outdoorsie

Nov 8, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #18 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey ladies-
I've been climbing for a year. I guess you could say I'm a slim/athletic build, but since I started climbing, I've gained almost 20 pounds. My metabolism is all wacky now. I know a lot of it is muscle, but I've also finally grown boobs, a pudgy tummy ( despite situps) and a little booty. I'm not sure why this is.

Yeah, I think some people may have hinted at this, but from what I've seen, it's not uncommon for women to have a fairly serious hormone change in their early-to-mid twenties. I never gained the 'freshman 15' in college, but once out of college, and working, suddenly there were boobs! And a butt...

I noticed somewhere around 23 that I had to work waaay harder to keep my weight down than I ever did before. This made sense with my family history as my mom gained all her weight at about 23 too. Course, she was pregnant with me... Anyway.

It's probably not climbing. You're just getting old. ;-)

litleclimberchick

Nov 8, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #19 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after reading this post, not only am i afraid to eat but i'm afraid of getting older too. thanx a lot...

:roll:

Partner missedyno

Nov 8, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #20 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
after reading this post, not only am i afraid to eat but i'm afraid of getting older too. thanx a lot...

:roll:

LOL!

this is great. we can blame almost everything on our hormones, and if that doesn't work then we can blame our age!

and then, it'll be aging hormones....

tee hee! :lol:

lewisiarediviva

Nov 9, 2005, 3:51 AM
Post #21 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm only 22.

Ahh, the answer.

Being an adult doesn't mean you stop growing. I remember being 22. I was taller than I was when I was 21 and my figure was a little more figure (perfect mind you).

harmonydoc

Nov 9, 2005, 6:48 AM
Post #22 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Don't be afraid of either ... eating is great, you just have to figure out how to fuel your body in a healthy way, and indulge only once in a while. Getting older can be great too ... you get to know yourself better with age, and with that comes self-confidence ... and less things to be afraid about ...

ecocliffchick

Nov 9, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #23 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to agree that it is probably an age thing, and not a climbing thing. If anything, climbing should be helping you to tone up - not get pudgy!

You are now beyond the time when eating pizza and drinking beer will have no consequences. Welcome to your twenties...

angelaa

Nov 9, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #24 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain. . . .

I used to be able to eat all I want and never gain a pound. . I wasn't a rail, but I was pretty fit.
Then the I hit about 22 my metabolism decided to throw me a curve ball. Funny thing is that I didn't realize it until 3 years and nearly 50lbs later! - amazingly this was about the time I started to climb.

I couldn't figure out WHY I was having such an issue with this new sport. I had always been athletic and had always picked up things rather easily. When I realized that it was all due to my weight gain (when it finally dawned on me - :? duh) I didn't want to climb anymore - b/c I felt bad doing it - I expected better out of myself.

Luckily my husband LOVED our first experience of climbing, and since I wanted to hang out with him more than anyone else - after our first climbing experience we bought shoes. He proceeded to drag me to the Wall all that winter, and encourage my diet and work out schedule.

Many Many years later, I still have to make sure I work out regularly (not about to give up my good dark German beers), but as you soon may see if you stick with climbing.
Climbing could be your way back to fitness and Not the reason for said 'PUDGY'

Good Luck!

littlefingers

Nov 9, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #25 of 60 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just some experience that *might* be relevant-

I know a bunch of climbers around 20-25 that disappear when they turn sideways... meaning they are *slight*. I also know they are concerned about their weight a lot because there is a lot of pressure on climbers to have a super-lean build to *help* their climbing- or even more so for self-image. I'm 30 and was pretty self-concious of having boobs and and a butt when climbing around them. I considered myself a little chubby until I got my body fat tested and it came back as 11%! That's healthy, but still darn low!

It's concerning how low in body fat people around me were striving to get.... and know they worked hard at it. Most climbers I know have at least some concern about this- my personal opinion is to give yourself some slack with the love handles so long as you eat healthy and take care of yourself. Live a lifestyle that will last long term- (ok- I'm working on this perspective, because sometimes I have trouble accepting the new "curves":)

Anyway- I'm very supportive of climbers having the whole variety of shapes. And find that in reality, shape has little impact on how hard a person can climb... attitude however is a different story :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook