Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elshells

Nov 9, 2005, 3:33 AM
Post #1 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Any other pregnant climbers?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After my super fun trip to Red Rocks, I figured out that I was supposed to have my visitor during the trip. And my usually very flat chest was super sore and big. So I made my husband drive me to Walmart at 10 pm to get a couple of tests and sure enough.

I guess I will not be climbing in Patagonia next year or doing too much mountaineering. Although it is a big surprise and very unexpected it is still exciting. I was just hoping there might be more lady climbers that have been or are pregnant on this forum.

I am still climbing, just the overhanging stuff is not working so well :? And I am scared to go for the last moves on boulder problems. And I feel like the outcast on my girls climbing group because now I have to top rope everything and they are pushing hard towards .12s and I am starting to struggle on the .10s. Don't get me wrong I am super hyped about having a baby, I am just still figuring out this whole being pregnant thing.

I would love any advice from women who climbed while pregnant. :D
I know there are previous threads, but I thought I would still start a new one.
Thanks for listening.

lewisiarediviva

Nov 9, 2005, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any other pregnant climbers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed once during my first pregnancy. But then I decided that it was not wise. I didn't want to fall and have my stomach hit the rock. It's not recommended to ride a horse either. Really I was pretty mad about not climbing- but the kid turned out to be a pretty good climber anyway.

lhwang

Nov 9, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #3 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats! While I can't say I've ever been pregnant, we're taught in med school that the hormones released during pregnancy make your ligaments more stretchy and that women have an increased risk of joint injuries during pregnancy. Not sure how much of that is based on actual fact vs. tradition, but there you have it.

Best of luck!

elshells

Nov 9, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #4 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I read that about the stretchy-ness so I will have to be careful not to contort myself into a pretzel :D

angelaa

Nov 9, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I recall an article in a magazine. . . maybe She Sends?

I remember it being written very good, and it made it seem like climbing and pregnancy could co-exhist!

Congradulations on your pregnancy . . . enjoy the beauty of it!

( this comment comes from an perpetually childless woman - by choice )

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 9, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read that She Sends article too, and recall it being very good. Congratulations, by the way!

outdoorsie

Nov 9, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not yet been pregnant (to my knowledge, of course) but one of my good climbing girl-friends was a couple years ago. She didn't know she was pregnant until almost 4 months along. She says she just thought she was fighting off some sickness... tired all the time, a little nausius once in a while. :-)

She climbed as much as she felt up to for the whole pregnancy. She even took a climbing trip to Arizona at 6 months, and carried the rope and her gear on an hour long approach! She just said that her energy was way down, and that she had to take everything easy because she was supposed to keep her body temp below a certain level.

She climbed in the gym up until the day before she delivered. Of course, she went into labor about a month early, which was kind of scarey. Nobody talked about whether her early delivery was due to climbing or simply something that would have happened anyway. It's probably impossible to tell.

I think it's pretty cool that you don't have many second thoughts about whether or not you want to climb. I think if you do a forum search on this site for "pregnant", you might turn up some interesting past threads. I remember reading one where many guys were arguing heatedly about whether or not they would "let" their SO climb while pregnant. Some of the posters where really mean.

Good luck with the little one! Congrats!

onemistakebigpancake

Nov 9, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #8 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, CONGRATS!

This article may help, there are other useful ones too.

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2pregnancyexercise.asp

elshells

Nov 10, 2005, 1:33 AM
Post #9 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks so much for the link to the specific climbing information. I am following those rules.

And thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am getting super excited looking at baby patagonia clothes :D

Partner missedyno

Nov 10, 2005, 1:33 PM
Post #10 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just wanted to say congratulations. :)

i always thought i would be childless by choice, but the ol' hormones have been kicking in lately. gadzooks!

good luck, here's to your health! :)

jemco

Nov 10, 2005, 2:09 PM
Post #11 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know if this would help or not, but my wife and I are pregnant and her doctors have told her that while climbing would most likely not hurt the growing baby, it is riskier than not climbing. As we are mostly boulderers, we have decided to take a break from bouldering until she has the baby (May 06). It has certainly been very frustrating for her as climbing was one of the ways she dealt with work pressure, tension, and it was our primary form of vacation. It looks like we are going to Vegas for Winter Break (we are teachers) and I will be climbing while she and her mother get some spa treatment (her idea, not mine 8^) . Anyway, good luck!
jemco

littlefingers

Nov 11, 2005, 7:12 AM
Post #12 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats! I wanted to share that there is a strong woman climber I know in my area who climbed with her pregnancy until it really got in the way (maybe climbing just wasn't fun at that stage). She had a beautiful baby girl, and it was great to see her not so long ago back climbing again. I think she takes it a little more easily, but you can still tell she climbs with style even on her 5.9's. I say more kudo's for those who climb AND have a family--- I can barely handle just myself and climbing! As for women who have kids and still want to climb hard- well there is Lynn Hill. She isn't a good example of your average strong climbing chica though!

I vote for a new grading system-- 5.10 or 5.12 if you are more than 4 months pregnant...

Congrats again and be sure to share pictures... it's nice knowing some people can do it all! :)

-m

acacongua

Nov 11, 2005, 1:38 PM
Post #13 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a great thread for those who are preg and those who know that some day they may take that journey (like me). It's the one thing I fear right now because I'm totally loving where I'm in climbing (breakin' in to the .12s) - I wonder what will happen to my body afterwards.

I've seen some not bounce back because they never lost the weight, but in reality they weren't strong in the first place or rather, althletic. I saw a lady who was a solid RRG 5.12 climber lose the weight quickly and she was leading .11s in no time and is back up to .12. However, she very much enjoys her new priority over climbing.

labarrosa

Nov 11, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #14 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi:
Congratulations!!!
I climbed till my seventh month of pregnancy, then I decided to quit because my knees were all bruised, my mass center was in a different place than usual, I guess. :wink:
A lot of people thought I was crazy, but I took a lot of care, I stop bouldering, gradually I was going down in grades (the more heavy I got, more easy routs I climbed), after the fifth month I only top rope.
For me climbing is more about enjoying routes than doing hard routes, so I had a lot of fun even when I was only climbing 5+ or 6a. I think the baby needs a happy mummy as much as a healthy one, so for me stop climbing was out of question.
But what you have to do about climbing? It’s just up to you. Don’t climbing because I did, o because your not pregnant friends think you have to do it, and pleased don’t stop climbing because other people tell you it’s too risky. If stop climbing make you feel bad, then take all the care you need and keep climbing. If climbing make you too worried about the baby then stop, Is only for a few months!!!
For the records: I didn’t have any troubles during my pregnancy, my baby born really healthy, and now that she is out, it is harder to climb than when she was inside :? (It’ s getting better as she is growing).
So have fun, enjoy your baby while he/she is inside you, for me that was one of the most beautiful experiences in my life.
Gabriela (sorry for my English!!!)

Partner hosh

Nov 12, 2005, 5:27 AM
Post #15 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not to butt in, but um, my wife's pregnant with our first. She hasn't climbed in months. I don't think she'll climb at all until after the baby comes. Man, I sure miss my hot little climbing partner. I'm forced to climb with this guy who's really fat and ugly (compared to her, that is...)

hosh.

edited to say:

P. S. the only reason I was in the ladies room in the first place was to ask if any girls climbed when pregnant, or if my wife was just being over cautious. Seems I don't have to start a new thread after all... thanks girls.

hosh.

lewisiarediviva

Nov 12, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #16 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh, I didn't climb partly because of the concerns of my husband and the other guys. It's hard to climb when everyone is worried. But I also see the concerns.

I've been thinking about this thread a lot. Partly 'cause I was so anoyed that I couldn't climb back then. Partly 'cause I want to say "You go girl." Partly 'cause I think it is pretty easy to hit a wall and cause some sort of trouble.

Excuse me if I seem to be saying nothing really solid. Just it impresses me that some of you would go on, yet it worries me too- I know I'm being motherly.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 14, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #17 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I vote for a new grading system-- 5.10 or 5.12 if you are more than 4 months pregnant...

Hahaha....The rating could go by the week of pregnancy! So, at 16 weeks, the woman is climbing 5.16! Of course, it is only *fair* to add the leeter to the agrade, as in A/B/C/D, since there would be a difference between a woman climbing in pregnancy or not. So, I propose a "P" designation.

elshells

Nov 15, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely agree on the pregnancy rating system. I plan on letting my husband know tonight.

I am still climbing and will try as long as I can. Hopefully I will get some funny belly climbing pics. On a sad note. I think I am going to have to buy new pants in a couple of weeks.

I have funny visions of climbing in a patagonia bra top with my big belly sticking out. (I am not that confident, but it would still be funny!)

And I do get a twing of jealous everytime my climbing girlfriends talk about the .11s or .12s they are working on. I have to TR the warm ups now.

litleclimberchick

Nov 16, 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #19 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i always thought i would be childless by choice, but the ol' hormones have been kicking in lately. gadzooks!

is that something that really happens or is it all mental... just curious...

sorry i know that was off topic.

CONGRATS ELSHELLS!!!!! :D you totally have to post pics of you climbing once you start showing... they'll be the baby's first climbing pics :D

littlefingers

Nov 16, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #20 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a new idea...

Would your husband be supportive enough to climb with a basketball duct taped to his belly? I mean, then that would be fair climbing. It sounds like it could be fun- good laughs, good pics, AND everyone would gain new insight and appreciation to the challenges of climbing with the baby "bump"!

please post the pics :)

-m

onemistakebigpancake

Nov 16, 2005, 6:55 PM
Post #21 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had a new idea...

Would your husband be supportive enough to climb with a basketball duct taped to his belly? I mean, then that would be fair climbing. It sounds like it could be fun- good laughs, good pics, AND everyone would gain new insight and appreciation to the challenges of climbing with the baby "bump"!

please post the pics :)

-m

and a 30lb weight belt.... that would be really good :)

Partner missedyno

Nov 17, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #22 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

is that something that really happens or is it all mental... just curious...

sorry i know that was off topic.

CONGRATS ELSHELLS!!!!! :D you totally have to post pics of you climbing once you start showing... they'll be the baby's first climbing pics :D

... i think it's mental? urge to settle.. nest... heightened tolerance for children...

elshells

Nov 17, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #23 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband is very supportive, but the basket ball is pushing it. That being said he lead up all the climbs that I want to top rope tonight and got excited for me when I made some moves that I hadn't been able to get before. Also this winter he might be helping with some route setting at the loacl gym and I told him after he lists the 5.10 rating on a climb to follow it with a P5.12. He asked what that meant and when I told him pregnant 5.12 he laughed and agreed. (Since there are a couple of us pregnant climbers)

I am glad the weekend is almost here. I want to climb outside sooooo bad. I miss the long days of summer.

darlinkaty

Jan 5, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #24 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What an exciting thread. My hubby REALLY wants to try for a baby and soon, but I'm not so sure. Obviously there are many reasons, but a big one is I love my active life! I am just starting to get good at .10s and am learning to lead and I really really don't want to give that up. Although I freaking LOVE to push myself on the rock, It's nice to hear that at least TRing and easier routes are OK, because I've wondered about the harness on your belly. I was climbing in the .10 range w/in 3 months of learning to climb so I suppose it wouldn't be tooooo hard to get back to where I am after a baby, right? (I'm looking for encouragemnet here lol!)

noell

Jan 6, 2006, 8:29 PM
Post #25 of 30 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was climbing in the .10 range w/in 3 months of learning to climb so I suppose it wouldn't be tooooo hard to get back to where I am after a baby, right? (I'm looking for encouragemnet here lol!)

No way! Won't be hard at all if you are dedicated. For example, Claire Murphey/Bell who has won both of the last two Triple Crown comps (LRC this weekend!) has little Wiley, who is barely a year old. She was back bouldering SUPER strong, obviously!

Congrats, btw!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook