RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

lux39

Nov 10, 2005, 9:23 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Roof's Roof's Roof's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone explain to me why roofs freak me out so much ,I can lead off a 5-10b or c outside as long as it does not have a ROOF crimpers,credit cards are no problem but as soon as the route turns upside-down even with big jugs I get all freaked out @$#@ has anyone out-there overcame this problem.. :?

Partner devkrev

Nov 10, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Re: Roof's Roof's Roof's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb some at the gunks
you get used to roofs REALLY quick
then again, there is no sport climbing there
I'll shut up now
later
dev

landgolier

Nov 10, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some might scoff, but this is one place where the gym really does help. You don't even need to lead roofs indoors, though a little practice with the awkward upside down clips wouldn't hurt. Just get in the bouldering cave and get used to being upside down, making confident moves, and chilling on big jugs. If you're like most people, bad overhangs give you a "time bomb" feel, like your seconds up there are numbered and every hold just wants to spit you off. Clear that from your head, and you can cruise big roofs.

As for the smaller stuff (2-4' overhangs that only take 1-3 moves to get past), find one you can work on toprope and get good at making them happen fast. You just have to get the moves burned into your brain: get under it and make a plan, get out on it, get a hand over the edge and lock off, hike your feet or heel hook, and get off of it. Each one is different, of course, but they all have the same basic moves.

Finally, my maxim on crappy moves is always "think like an aid climber: if it sucks, get off of it quick." For aid it refers to placements, but on free it's the same principle: comitting now is better than comitting later, and once you're on the bad section you want to be off of it as quick as you can without blowing it by being hasty. It ain't like there's rest moves on a roof (unless you find a knee bar). I know this kind of sounds like it goes against the first idea of chilling out on roofs, but the idea here is get calm, and then get quick.

Oh yeah, and do those crunches :D

Partner philbox

Nov 10, 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to get spooked on roofs and bulges until I installed a roof woody at my shed. As the previous poster stated you simply have to get used to climbing on a roof and the easiest way to do that is indoors.

You should also pay a lot of attention to your feet on a roof, they can take a lot of weight off your hands. Developing pinch strength helps too.

jdouble

Nov 10, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember the monkey bars when you were a kid? Same principle on a jug haul, just looks a little different. When you get to the roof section, close your eyes and picture 3rd grade.

jakedatc

Nov 10, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep.. footwork tends to get overlooked on roofs.. keeping straight arms is another that will let you hang off the bones and not your muscles as much.

heel hooks.. even tossing your foot sideways onto a hold if you cant get a straight up and down heel. depending on the terrain toe hooks work nice too but not as often

abs.. find a place to do pull ups where you can get your feet out horizontal and get functional training

practice campusing.. i'm not saying you're going to campus on route but if your feet cut then you need the same muscles and skills to get your feet back on

hopefully once you get more confident on overhangs you can relax and not over grip too much.
i like roofs but my latest project is alot more sustained roof and long moves than ive done before so i know i overgripped in the beginning of the route that hurt me later on. also my foot work wasnt great because i was looking too much at where my hands had to go

if the clipping part is your problem then hang a draw so it's free hanging and jsut practice.. you'll get used to grabbing it in ways so that it wont spin on you

overlord

Nov 11, 2005, 7:17 AM
Post #7 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was also afraid of roofs for quite some time. i was mostly afraid of falling. then i fell a few times and realized that im actually totally safe. so now i really like climbing roofs.

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not afraid of falling *scratching me head* did enough of that this summer ,must be a mental thing :roll: have to work on it ....

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep.. footwork tends to get overlooked on roofs.. keeping straight arms is another that will let you hang off the bones and not your muscles as much.

heel hooks.. even tossing your foot sideways onto a hold if you cant get a straight up and down heel. depending on the terrain toe hooks work nice too but not as often

abs.. find a place to do pull ups where you can get your feet out horizontal and get functional training

practice campusing.. i'm not saying you're going to campus on route but if your feet cut then you need the same muscles and skills to get your feet back on

hopefully once you get more confident on overhangs you can relax and not over grip too much.
i like roofs but my latest project is alot more sustained roof and long moves than ive done before so i know i overgripped in the beginning of the route that hurt me later on. also my foot work wasnt great because i was looking too much at where my hands had to go

if the clipping part is your problem then hang a draw so it's free hanging and jsut practice.. you'll get used to grabbing it in ways so that it wont spin on you
Thanks for the advice ,I thing I do have a tendency of overgripping and and burning to much energy for no reason feet feet feet I am always told this ,but I must remember that I only started climbing this summer and I can lead in the 10 "s not so bad seeing that I am no young pup :lol: once again thanks for the advice

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #10 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Remember the monkey bars when you were a kid? Same principle on a jug haul, just looks a little different. When you get to the roof section, close your eyes and picture 3rd grade.
Will try that next time maybe not the eye closing part maybe its the dangling falls that I hate !!!!

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to get spooked on roofs and bulges until I installed a roof woody at my shed. As the previous poster stated you simply have to get used to climbing on a roof and the easiest way to do that is indoors.

You should also pay a lot of attention to your feet on a roof, they can take a lot of weight off your hands. Developing pinch strength helps too.
Well the plywood season already started over here and even there I avoid the roofs when I can :roll: Inside sounds like a good place to work on roofs ,be ready for next summer :)

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some might scoff, but this is one place where the gym really does help. You don't even need to lead roofs indoors, though a little practice with the awkward upside down clips wouldn't hurt. Just get in the bouldering cave and get used to being upside down, making confident moves, and chilling on big jugs. If you're like most people, bad overhangs give you a "time bomb" feel, like your seconds up there are numbered and every hold just wants to spit you off. Clear that from your head, and you can cruise big roofs.

As for the smaller stuff (2-4' overhangs that only take 1-3 moves to get past), find one you can work on toprope and get good at making them happen fast. You just have to get the moves burned into your brain: get under it and make a plan, get out on it, get a hand over the edge and lock off, hike your feet or heel hook, and get off of it. Each one is different, of course, but they all have the same basic moves.

Finally, my maxim on crappy moves is always "think like an aid climber: if it sucks, get off of it quick." For aid it refers to placements, but on free it's the same principle: comitting now is better than comitting later, and once you're on the bad section you want to be off of it as quick as you can without blowing it by being hasty. It ain't like there's rest moves on a roof (unless you find a knee bar). I know this kind of sounds like it goes against the first idea of chilling out on roofs, but the idea here is get calm, and then get quick.

Oh yeah, and do those crunches :D
Great advice thanks I do freeeeeeze up alot will be working these moves inside this winter ,another problem I have is clipping when i am in the roofs must be the panic stage setting in .....

lux39

Nov 11, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
climb some at the gunks
you get used to roofs REALLY quick
then again, there is no sport climbing there
I'll shut up now
later I have heard of the gunks my friends climb there trad right I will check it out ...
dev

ninja_climber

Nov 11, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was nver afraid of falling on a roof. You don't hit anything on the way down...of course there is alwys the chhacne of swinging into the wall,but you just have to watch out for that :D

climbingaggie03

Nov 11, 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, be like Nike and just do it :) practice (inside or out) will help, but I think the key is to keep moving, even if the move feels wrong, just keep going and get it over with, or fall (unless you're looking at a bad fall or it's dangerous, in that case, ignore me so you can't sue me)

bvb

Nov 11, 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

odd. roofs are generally considered the most prized of all climbing terrain, regardless of rock type.

shanz

Nov 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roofs never really freaked me out much but i did find that though i didnt have alot of problem with a face climbs. roof climbs always seemed to kick my butt. About 6 months ago started research it and found that core strength was weak. Having alot less problems with roof climbs now that my core has gotten better

lux39

Nov 12, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, be like Nike and just do it :) practice (inside or out) will help, but I think the key is to keep moving, even if the move feels wrong, just keep going and get it over with, or fall (unless you're looking at a bad fall or it's dangerous, in that case, ignore me so you can't sue me)
Good advice do tend to freeze up * WHY* I dont know ,next climb I will keep that in mind and keep on rollin rollin rollin !!!!

lvclimbingbum

Nov 16, 2005, 3:56 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm more comfortable on roofs because if I fall, I'll just swing, now fall and hit the wall (on lead). Besides, roofs are the most fun.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook