Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Which route to do on Rainier?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stroker

Nov 1, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5468 views)
Shortcut

Which route to do on Rainier?  (North_America: United_States: Washington: Southwest_Washington: Mt__Rainier)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading to Mt Rainier this next year, and want to get the best bang for my time. I was thinking Liberty Ridge. I want something that'll require steeper angles. I don't want to be on anything that is insanely crowded. Whats the skinny people?

jason_martin

Nov 3, 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which route to do on Rainier? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Liberty Ridge can be crowded sometimes. As in there are three or four parties on the route at once. This may not seem like much, but at the Thumb Rock Bivy it can be tight.

Generally Liberty Ridge is best for only a very short season. May and June are when it seems to get climbed the most. Other than that, there is a LOT of rockfall on the lower part of the mountain.

Any route that you do aside from the DC or the Emmons will be crowd free. Any route you do aside from those two will also have a few steep sections to negotiate.

Perhaps the best early season route on the mountain is the Gibralter Ledges route. I also think that Kautz is a nice route...

Jason

sandstone

Nov 3, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Liberty Ridge is a really nice route if you catch it in good conditions in early season (when there's enough snow to hold together the crumbly excuse for rock). When I did it we had mostly good neve, some water ice, and just a few rock moves. The views down the ridge with the Carbon Glacier snaking its way down the valley in the background are spectacular. The views across the Willis Wall ain't that bad either. Definately a good bang for the buck IMO.

wargowsky

Nov 3, 2005, 2:55 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i highly recommend Gib Ledges. It's not traveled as much as easier routes like DC. The views are amazing. And it's more than just a tipical snow slog.

sandstone

Nov 3, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You never know on the crowds, we saw only two other people, and that was on the approach hike. The rest of the time we had the whole north side of the mtn to ourselves (including Camp Schurman and the Emmons Glacier on our descent).

crag

Nov 3, 2005, 3:15 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i highly recommend Gib Ledges. It's not traveled as much as easier routes like DC. The views are amazing. And it's more than just a tipical snow slog.

The Willis Wall

weekendclimber

Nov 3, 2005, 3:32 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want something that is more likely not to be crowded and a little more of a commitment, then you can head up the west side road and tackle something like the Sickle or the Tahoma Glacier. Plan on three days with a carry over unless you are Mark Twight or you could bicycle up the road and come back the same way to pick up the bikes. The area going into the approach is really nice and the sunsets are unbeatable (west side).

tetons

Nov 5, 2005, 3:17 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a thought, but I've always liked the look of Fuhrer Finger. i have not done it, understand it is seasonal like everything in the high peaks, but it''s a nice line. I have done several routes in and around Liberty Ridge, which is of course very worthy and a great route. We did not bivy at the Thumb but climbed from a nice camp at the edge of the glacier. I have always enjoyed a visit to Rainier even when the weather shuts us down -- beautiful hiking in big trees and a special mtn. Stay safe, have a great time, look over the Finger and get some more feedback on that one. I think logistics are awkward, but so what.

stroker

Nov 15, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #9 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for all your insight and input. I recently bought a book and am highly considering Gib Ledges.

Cheers!

-tda

bluesky

Nov 15, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #10 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done Gib Ledges and Fuhrer Finger. Fuhrer Finger is very condition dependent (avalanche danger) but can be very good / fun in the right conditions. Gib Ledges is an excellent route, in early season like others have said.

Good Luck
Jesse

kixx

Dec 9, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gib ledges is a good choice, great route. PM me for pics and beta.

jackscoldsweat

Dec 9, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumor has it Ptarmagin Ridge rivals Liberty Ridge minus the crowds.

Mowich Face

North Mowich Ice Cliff

Willis Wall, Ice Cliff

Sunset Amphitheater Headwall

have fun.

JCS

climbrc

Dec 9, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmmm.. Gib Ledges.. Awesome route, good exposure, relatively "easy" and straight forward. Although, driving a pick into frozen dirt was a little interesting. :? As for pro we placed a few pickets on running belay (maybe one looong screw) on the steep.

Anyway, if your considering Liberty Ridge, Gib ledges may not be difficult enough for you (but still a great route). Have you been on Rainier before? If not, make sure you know the descent (although you may be lucky to have RMI flag it for you 8^) ). We ascend gib ledges and descend DC or Ingram direct. In fact, early season you could get two routes in as we did..Ingram Direct then Gib ledges.. Makes for a great couple days!!

Cheers,

stroker

Dec 11, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for the information. I've been hearing (from other areas of info) that the Kautz Glacier is good. I think I'm leaning to that route. What do you all think? Also, what/where is the nearest brewery to Rainier? I'm from Utah, where there are very limited options. I'm cool with cheap or micro-beer.

-Lazy in Utah

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook